Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Yea but about to leave today to go to FL and AL and then back to Cali, all within 2 wks. We would have stopped in San Antonio but a last minute bidding war on who was gonna get Thom to work for them has us going back to SoCal after our vacation. Have not posted on our blog lately but I guess I will be busy for at least the next 2 wks with it keeping it updated about where and stuff, lol.
By last minute I really mean last minute. Thursday is when paperwork was signed for the new job and we are leaving today (Tuesday) to go on vacation. We should have left yesterday but a few extra things had to be taken care of so today it is instead.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #16

Newbie RV picker here

I am glad to see some music lovers out there. My wife and I did two months the first of this year in the panhandle. I took my guitar with me hoping to jam a little, but we never ran into a single picker the whole time. The first time we went out I took my beloved Taylor ce314 with me but after a month in Maine this last September, I decided against it this time. I did some work on an old Olga flat top that I keep hanging on my wall and took it instead. The humidity in Maine was so bad we had to buy a dehumidifier to harness the condensation. I think the next time we are out I might post a notice in the campground office to see if there might be some folks interested in playing a tune or two. I'm not interested in gigging anymore. I just retired from a job and I don't want another. I'm glad I ran across this forum. Maybe there's hope after all.
guitar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar1 View Post
I am glad to see some music lovers out there. My wife and I did two months the first of this year in the panhandle. I took my guitar with me hoping to jam a little, but we never ran into a single picker the whole time. The first time we went out I took my beloved Taylor ce314 with me but after a month in Maine this last September, I decided against it this time. I did some work on an old Olga flat top that I keep hanging on my wall and took it instead. The humidity in Maine was so bad we had to buy a dehumidifier to harness the condensation. I think the next time we are out I might post a notice in the campground office to see if there might be some folks interested in playing a tune or two. I'm not interested in gigging anymore. I just retired from a job and I don't want another. I'm glad I ran across this forum. Maybe there's hope after all.
Ever get out Cali way we'll get together
Bozo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar1 View Post
I think you have a great tip there. A dehumidifier for trips to "wet" states. I know my Ovations probably would be the same way. I like to pick every now and then. Since I don't RV yet, I just sit on my front porch and wail like a banshee. Being a weekend hack has it's advantages since we don't want to be pros, we can smile and say we don't know any better.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #19

Play the drums. Last year, I built my first kit from scratch. The shells are stave construction.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
Play the drums. Last year, I built my first kit from scratch. The shells are stave construction.
Dang, bradnailer! That's hardcore. Nice job start to finish.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Dang, bradnailer! That's hardcore. Nice job start to finish.
Thanks, Nick. Fun thing, I built the kit from some old oak flooring a guy gave me so the wood cost nothing. However, the hardware was another story. Love playing this kit.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are plales to sing all over, If you are good some parks will give you "Space" even.. Juist now there is a familly camped about a half mile from where I am (Same park) and another guitarist about half a dozen sites from him.. If it was cooler I'd be over there singing.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
I was curious how you milled the shells down? Those are beautiful. My nephew would love a set of those. I wish I had the skill and patience for woodworking to build guitars and drums but I don't. I'll stick to computers and enjoy the nice stuff you good people build.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
I was curious how you milled the shells down? Those are beautiful. My nephew would love a set of those. I wish I had the skill and patience for woodworking to build guitars and drums but I don't. I'll stick to computers and enjoy the nice stuff you good people build.
Since this was my first build, I just sanded the shells to size. If I were to make more, I'd built a jig for my router and mill them that way.

I build a lot of furniture as a hobby so the kit was a natural progression from that.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Don't know if I would classify myself as a "Musician" I did work several years as a Luthier This is one of the first guitars I made and still play . The body is ash, neck maple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010072.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	42544  
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #26

Glad this thread was revived! Love music and this is what we want to do, once we get the rig road ready. Busy cleaning it. We want to do the same thing mentioned on here. We play locally and I've put a couple of covers on YouTube.com under Gabbysings2, using Karaoke songs. I do Karaoke & DJ shows, as well have played in a band for a few years (I was only a singer then). Since learning a little guitar, I can accompany myself. Mostly we have fun and are looking forward to meeting like minded musicians. That was the purpose of diving into an RV.

The drums are really nice, Bradnailer! You are very talented.
Please2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Different Guitars

I've traveled all over with Martins and Taylor's and never had a humidity related problem. When I get home (west coast) I put them in a case with a humdifier for a couple of days.

On the other hand I have a custom (Patterson) acoustic that is so sensitive that it lives in a case with a humidifier all the time. It doesn't have a truss rod in the neck, the luthier prefers a solid steel bar. He also uses very thin finish. It's a great sounding guitar but a little fragile for road life.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #28

I never actually had a problem with my Taylor, but I'm so paranoid about damaging it I was just hedging my bets. Having said that, Have any of you checked out Mountain View Arkansas? It is a small town in the Ozarks that is known for its Musical atmosphere. Every night of the week, players of all skill levels converge on the town square and surrounding streets to set up and play all kinds of music. We were there just a few days last year and enjoyed it immensely. You could play with one group for a while and then move on down the line to play with another.

"I thought I was a musician until I actually met one."
guitar1 is offline   Reply With Quote