RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #29

Thanks for reminding me to pack my detector on the next trip. If anyone enjoys beach hunting and happens to be around the Florida panhandle area, we've had a couple of back to back hurricanes recently that cut into our beaches. A cut beach is great for metal detecting, just not so good if you own waterfront property... smh
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I'm using a bounty hunter. It was a gift. In fact I was so disenchanted when I got it I put it in a closet and it didn't see the light of day until a friend commented that during a cookout in his yard a guest lost a ring in the grass and couldn't find it. So I handed the BH to him and wished him luck. I don't think he had hunted 10 minutes and found it. I was a hero and I hadn't even done anything. So from there I've used the BH off and on and generally have fun finding stuff, even a bit of old trash can sometimes be interesting. One accessory I carry that I find useful is a hand towel. Not so much for wiping my hands but to lay out on the ground and pile dirt onto as I'm digging. Makes for quick work after you find something, just pick up the towel and dump the dirt back in the hole.

Just wanted to comment that even in places where no digging is allowed, I still hunt. Quite a bit of stuff like coins, rings, and even a watch once was right on the surface, or just a bit of "scratching" (technically not "digging") turns it up. First place I go is where I see people fishing from a spot on a lake or stream, it almost always turns up lures or other fishing hardware up and down the bank (along with lots of beer bottle tops, but oh well...). Next spot on the list is play grounds or play areas, I've found more coins at those than anywhere else. I always pack out any trash I find or dig up and once a camp host saw me do that, and got the comment to "hunt all I wanted".

A couple years ago at Quartzsite I saw a demo put on by the proprietor of the gold prospecting store there, and got to see one of the gold finding machines in action. It's truly impressive. He had a speck of gold the size of a pepper flake in a holder, and what I would consider fancy detectors didn't so much as blip, but the gold detecting model would ping on it. I have no interest in devoting that much money, time and effort looking for pepper flake gold nuggets but if you are, there are machines that will do it. I'm happy enough to dig up a coin much less precious metals. The BH I consider "recreational" value and is a permanent item in the basement of my RV. Since it's been there I've gotten a ton of use out of it and for a "toy" it has been very entertaining.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

« Readers - BookBub | - »