Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #29

Thanks for reminding me to pack my detector on the next trip. If anyone enjoys beach hunting and happens to be around the Florida panhandle area, we've had a couple of back to back hurricanes recently that cut into our beaches. A cut beach is great for metal detecting, just not so good if you own waterfront property... smh
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I'm using a bounty hunter. It was a gift. In fact I was so disenchanted when I got it I put it in a closet and it didn't see the light of day until a friend commented that during a cookout in his yard a guest lost a ring in the grass and couldn't find it. So I handed the BH to him and wished him luck. I don't think he had hunted 10 minutes and found it. I was a hero and I hadn't even done anything. So from there I've used the BH off and on and generally have fun finding stuff, even a bit of old trash can sometimes be interesting. One accessory I carry that I find useful is a hand towel. Not so much for wiping my hands but to lay out on the ground and pile dirt onto as I'm digging. Makes for quick work after you find something, just pick up the towel and dump the dirt back in the hole.

Just wanted to comment that even in places where no digging is allowed, I still hunt. Quite a bit of stuff like coins, rings, and even a watch once was right on the surface, or just a bit of "scratching" (technically not "digging") turns it up. First place I go is where I see people fishing from a spot on a lake or stream, it almost always turns up lures or other fishing hardware up and down the bank (along with lots of beer bottle tops, but oh well...). Next spot on the list is play grounds or play areas, I've found more coins at those than anywhere else. I always pack out any trash I find or dig up and once a camp host saw me do that, and got the comment to "hunt all I wanted".

A couple years ago at Quartzsite I saw a demo put on by the proprietor of the gold prospecting store there, and got to see one of the gold finding machines in action. It's truly impressive. He had a speck of gold the size of a pepper flake in a holder, and what I would consider fancy detectors didn't so much as blip, but the gold detecting model would ping on it. I have no interest in devoting that much money, time and effort looking for pepper flake gold nuggets but if you are, there are machines that will do it. I'm happy enough to dig up a coin much less precious metals. The BH I consider "recreational" value and is a permanent item in the basement of my RV. Since it's been there I've gotten a ton of use out of it and for a "toy" it has been very entertaining.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #31

Jayco Owners Club
I've had good results with my Fisher detector. I also use a Fisher F-Pulse pinpointer. These machines are another option.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:27 AM   #32

Best detectors

Lots of good info here. I’d like to add that one of the best deals going right now for anyone who wants a machine that will perform on land and in water, AND is versatile enough for a beginner to turn on and go or even an advanced user to tweak...all at the entry level price of $299 MSRP is the Nokta Simplex+.

Though I haven’t yet used the machine myself, after 16 years in the hobby and being the author of the bestselling “Metal Detecting for Beginners: 101 Things I Wish I’d Known When I Started,” I know enough serious detectorists who do use it and are blown away by the value, that it will be my own next machine.

I currently swing a White’s MX Sport, which has served me well. But it’s getting a bit worn and beat up, and as was already mentioned, White’s ceased US operations earlier this year and was subsequently bought by Garrett. So that’s a wildcard I no longer wish to deal with. Give the Simplex+ a try. I almost guarantee you won’t be disappointed. And no, I am not affiliated with Nokta in any way. It’s just a kickass machine for the money. Happy hunting!
Wildheart61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:38 AM   #33

White’s was the oldest and longest-running detector manufacturer in the US till this year. The reason was they engineered and designed the highest quality detectors. But a few years ago they began to lose ground to cheaper detectors manufactured overseas that performed just as well. Then there was an unfortunate tendency not to keep up with newer technology on a timely basis, and a decided disinterest on management’s part to learn and use modern marketing methods. They were already on the ropes when COVID disrupted their supply chain, and that was the knockout punch.

All that said, they remain fine machines, still some of the best out there as far as performance and value. You can find used ones cheap, as well as deep discounts on new ones. Several detector shops remain committed to continuing to service and repair them for the foreseeable future, so if you find a deal on a White’s, don’t pass it up.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #34

Excel Owners Club
I purchased a White a few years back . I never tried it out, I loaned it to my Father in law and he returned it informing me it was broken! all the times he took it out he never found a treasure chest LOL.

Seriously I am looking forward to using it .
Old 08-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any places along the road RV’ers can metal detect?

Any places along the road RV’ers can metal detect?

Not sure how each state handles finding artifacts, Florida only allows taking on private land or beach to the low tide.

State parks hunting depends on the park manager but usually only the beach parks so far allow detecting.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:00 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just purchased an Garrett ACE 300 first time using a metal detector. I got it to mess around with so far found some coins at the local beaches near me. Will take it with me and explore the beaches and areas that I can get permission with. Pretty happy with it for the cost.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:07 AM   #37

Congrats on your new toy!

I am surprised that this thread does not get more action. Almost a year since the last post.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks! Me too thought this thread would get more discussions. I’ve looked at it several times in the past year.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #39

Me too. With as many folks as there are in the rv world you would think a lot of the people would be out there detecting. I always take my detectors with me and hunt when in the various parks.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #40

Great new thread!

Hey, all -
Been offline for a bit so had to catch up, but great new thread! Thanks, cFerguson!

He has put a lot of great info out here, quite accurate! A few added notes:

White’s Electronics did indeed go out of business last year. Sad, because for the most part their machines are top notch. But don’t hesitate to pick one up if you find a great deal (and they are out there!) because since then Garrett bought their assets and is now supporting all White’s equipment with tech support, troubleshooting and repair. I haven’t heard one way or another, but wouldn’t be surprised if Garrett hired a few of White’s former techs — it just makes sense.

I agree with staying away from Bounty Hunter machines unless you already have one to learn on. That includes the models sold in Cabela’s, Gander and other outdoor outfitters — those are all made by BH and white-labeled for the retailers.

One exception I’d mention is the 9-function detector sold by Harbor Freight, of all places. This does NOT include the 6-function one there — a completely different animal, and it’s trash. But the 9-function, though a bit flimsy in the shaft (easily remedied with a few wraps of electrical or duct tape), is essentially the analog equivalent of Garrett’s old Ace 250 digital machine. It’s no longer sold by the manufacturer but it’s the perfect entry level machine and still tons of them out there to be found for $200 or less. It’s the one I learned on and found some of my best stuff with.

But that 9-function HF machine costs just under $50, and if you’re not sure you’ll love the hobby enough to make a bigger investment, it’s worth the small risk. You WILL find stuff with it. I’ve owned several myself and given a few as gifts. The HF pinpointer sucks — it’s nothing but a glorified stud finder and not worth any $. So do get one made for metal detecting. I agree with the Garrett “Carrot” if you’re prone to fully submersing it. But if budget is an issue, the original black one is about $50 less. Minelab makes a good one, and I’ve heard great things about the Nokia pinpointer, made in Turkey and very budget friendly.

In fact, I just killed my White’s MX Sport and am about to buy a Nokia Simplex+. Does all the same stuff for a $500 smaller MSRP!

Lastly, not to toot my own horn, but I really do recommend you check out my book, “Metal Detecting for Beginners: 101 Things I Wish I’d Known When I Started.” It’s just over 100 pages, retails for less than $8, and the “Where to Hunt” section alone is worth that. But I wrote it because even after detecting for ten years, I still couldn’t find an accurate, easy-to-use guide for beginners that wasn’t overkill, so I wrote it myself. It’s just enough to give you the confidence to get out there and know what you’re doing. If you start reading it over your breakfast, you’ll be out in the field before lunchtime! Available on Amazon. Good luck, and happy hunting!
Old 06-19-2022, 10:07 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildheart61 View Post
But that 9-function HF machine costs just under $50, and if you’re not sure you’ll love the hobby enough to make a bigger investment, it’s worth the small risk.
Thanks for that! I've been thinking about trying detecting for a hobby, but don't want to throw too much money into it and then find out that it's not something I want to do. I've got a quad-copter drone that I bought about 3 years ago - spent some time learning how to fly the thing, and now it's sitting in my den gathering dust.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #42

The problem I've seen over the years is when someone who thinks going metal detetcting might be fun, buys a cheap new unit only to find the detector will beep at just about everything, causing a liot of frustration. Short time later they are tired of digging the junk and then stop detecting. Buying a quality high end older used unit that still has years of life left with allow the new user to weed out a lit of the false junk signals and allow the user to maybe actually find some interesting things. If you never find something good, you will get discouraged and then quit. A used quality unit should cost somewhere in the $200 to $500 range that was many times that amount when new. These are not gold only hunting machines, as those are much more, but again they WILL find gold where the lesser costing units might find it.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote