Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a CFI, and also an A&P. Perhaps I should be a "CFI gypsy", and give BFR flights to expired pilots? I went to the last 20 years of Oshkosh in my Cessna as that was where I could meet with my customers, and get new ones. I tried a booth the first two years, but it was not a good use of my time.

You should look into gyrocopters. As my pilot wife and I approached retirement, we knew being on the RV road for extended periods would seriously impact our available flying time. We wanted an aircraft that was short, towable, and ability to handle most wind conditions. Fixed wings and helicopters all are too long. The gyro was the perfect solution. They are mostly LSA too, in case I decide to drop my medical - currently Class II.

We took some test rides at Oshkosh and other locations, including the "Oshkosh for gyrocopters" held the week after the Oshkosh event in Mentone, IN. I chose the RAF as my first gyro because it was an inexpensive start ($20K) and has a fully enclosed, heated cabin (we live at 6500 ft in Colorado). It is only 12 ft long and thus easily trailered. It uses a Subaru 2.5L, 165 HP injected engine, so parts are easy and cheap. It can take off in a couple hundred feet, and land in 10 or less depending on wind at a fast walking speed.

All rotorcraft inherently handle gusty and cross winds much better than fixed wing, thus smoother flying in the air except for the rotor "thump-thump". The RAF model flies nicely between 50-70 mph, but can fly at 25 mph without losing altitude, but full throttle required. A gyro will never "stall". Zero mph airspeed simply means you are in a controllable descent. The slow flying speeds and obstruction-free view make flight-seeing awesome.

Of course the 100 lb, 30 ft rotor blade is removed, disassembled, and boxed up for towing. I use a wireless remote electric winch to remove the gyro from the open flatbed trailer. The rotor blades are assembled on light plastic saw horses. The aluminum crane is assembled above the rotor which is then lifted using another wireless remote winch, sawhorses removed, and the fuselage guided underneath. A single bolt holds the fixed pitch rotor to the gimballing rotor head. Tighten and safety the bolts and away you go. The only downside It does take about an hour to set up. Being a Subaru, auto gas is used for fuel, although I prefer ethanol-free. I have racks on the trailer for storage of spare fuel, sawhorses, two ladders, and the crane components.

I suggest you should take a gyro ride yourself. It is truly a motorcycle in the sky. You will come away with perma-grin. Consider their inherent safety, ease of flight, and usefulness. Then join us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wanda at OSH 07.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	262395   Click image for larger version

Name:	B17 and Gyro at MTJ.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	262397  

GyroGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #16

Do gyros require a fixed wing license or a rotary one?
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb36912 View Post
If you are a licensed fixed wing pilot you will just need a gyroplane endorsement in your logbook.
svanarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb36912 View Post
Legally speaking, a rotorcraft-gyroplane rating is required. They fly very differently, and will require about the same amount of ab initio training as fixed wing. Teaching a fixed wing pilot how to fly a gyro is like teaching an automobile driver how to drive a motorcycle - when the student has never ridden a bicycle!

Practically speaking, of the seven fatal accidents since 2000 of my model gyro, five of these were done by non-licensed pilots, some had never received any gyro training.

'nuf said, eh?
Old 10-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #19

I'm not a pilot but thought I'd share this photo for your enjoyment.

Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroGypsy View Post
Legally speaking, a rotorcraft-gyroplane rating is required. They fly very differently, and will require about the same amount of ab initio training as fixed wing. Teaching a fixed wing pilot how to fly a gyro is like teaching an automobile driver how to drive a motorcycle - when the student has never ridden a bicycle!

Practically speaking, of the seven fatal accidents since 2000 of my model gyro, five of these were done by non-licensed pilots, some had never received any gyro training.

'nuf said, eh?
I have no issue with taking gyroplane training to add to my present fixed wing SEL rating, but I do not think I have the time/money to get a full rotary rating. As I want to be able to take a passenger, LSA would be a great route to pursue.
How much training does it take to get the gyroplane rating?
Where is training offered?
Do you offer training?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
First - beautiful rig you have there! Is it comfy driving a big rig? From your stated location, it is too bad you were not aware of the annual gyro convention at nearby Mentone IN in July, during the week following Oshkosh.

I did exactly that - added an LSA Endorsement to my fixed wing, SEL/MEL commercial, CFI license. I plan to move forwards with a commercial and CFI rating soon as I found getting instruction was problematic. Although most things are problematic living way out the country as I do! My RV 800W Solar/10kWh Tesla battery conversion taking all of spare time right now.

To answer your specific questions:
  1. "How much" training is of course very dependent on you, your instructor, and how well you work together. Don't hold high expectations, no matter what your current fixed wing experience level is. It is altogether different flying, but LOTS of fun. I suggest a "total immersion" course. Set 7-10 days aside, RV over there, and fly 2-3 times per day. You might make this part of a "winter" excursion, and train in Florida, Texas, or ?
  2. Training locations can be found using online resources listed here. There seems to be a lot of mid-west activity though. Just find a gyro-rated CFI for your training. Look carefully at their qualifications and history. Once your are "proficient", then another FAA designated CFI will sign your logbook and submit the required FAA Form 8610-2. You should consider joining the Popular Rotorcraft Association (www.pra.org), and participate in their www.rotaryforum.com to find training. Another great learning resource is www.Gyropedia.com. I still use their online logbook - click your smart phone to say you are going to fly, click again to say you have arrived.
  3. I do not currently train gyro flight, but plan to. I think there is a market out there, and enjoy teaching. It's like being paid to eat ice cream or drink beer.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #22

Thanks for the rig comments. It getting pretty old but we try to keep it in good shape. Driving is no more difficult than a full size pickup....you just have to be careful of your overhead clearances.

And I actually was aware of the Mentone gyro fly-in right after Oshkosh but my schedule did not allow me to attend both....so I opted for Oshkosh. Maybe next year.

Referring to questions:
1) The LSA addition is feasible. Where did you get your training?
2) I just logged into the Rotary Forum.....lots of info there. I also looked at the PRA website; I have not yet joined PRA but will shortly. I need to spend some time on both sites.

I am not even sure what to ask yet, but will PM you when I am informed enough to ask.

Around 40 years ago, I helped a guy work on a McCulloch 90 from a Bensen gyrocopter but never really thought about flying one.

Thanks for the information.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been going to Oshkosh as part of my website development business for over 20 years. Sold the business three years ago. Did both back-to-back while I was making my mind up about which model to buy. For a two place, lower cost "starter" gyro a used RAF is a good buy. Kinda like a C-152. A Sparrowhawk would be better, but are rarely sold. They are not as maneuverable as modern models, but that means "stable".

I did my initial training with Ron Menzie in Arkansas. Rons Gyros has contact and bio details. I met him previously in Mentone, and he had lots of folks suggesting him as top notch, and is among most experienced. It so happens he has a pretty much duplicate of my Franken-gyro with a RAF cabin enclosure, 160HP Subaru, Sparrowhawk fuselage/tail, and Sportcopter rotor with pneumatic trim system. We did our first flights in his gyro for about a week, then did the first flight of mine since my rotor/trim replacement. It flew well, except for poor pre-rotation performance. Ron only works M-F and just two flights per day. We had some summer heat and cross-winds which were also not conducive to ab initio training.

The final result was that I returned un-soloed to Colorado and practiced take-off rolls, and balancing on the main gear. I then went to near Salt Lake City and completed my training there in less than a week with Mike Burton. His operation Home | Airgyro Aviation LLC has since moved to north of SF Bay area.

The WWW s a wealth of information. What did we ever do without it?