Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Portable Aviation

Any pilots out there? I see some old threads about pilots and flying but nothing recent. Anyone find a way to combine avaition with full time RVing? I'm going to try.

I learned to fly in a Cessna 150. Then I bought an Aeronca Champ and really learned how to fly. I sold that and built an RV-4. Then I sold that and built a Rans S6. I decided to get out of certified aircraft. I sold the S6 and got into powered paragliding. I wanted something a little more stable so I got a powered parachute and that is what I am now flying. When we go on the road full time I'll probably go back to the powered paraglider. I can take it with me without having to buy a toy hauler.
svanarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #2

I fly an Archer off my own 1900' grass strip when I'm home, and don't fly when gone. Built an Express, but never got comfortable bringing her home so went back to the Archer. Hadn't thought about finding a way to fly on the road, but your question intrigued me.
I'll be in a Showhauler next year, being pushed by a Subaru, and really don't want a trailer. How do you carry your paraglider? I'd need two, as DW is also a pilot. Is it legal to land on public lands?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Akers View Post
I fly an Archer off my own 1900' grass strip when I'm home, and don't fly when gone. Built an Express, but never got comfortable bringing her home so went back to the Archer. Hadn't thought about finding a way to fly on the road, but your question intrigued me.
I'll be in a Showhauler next year, being pushed by a Subaru, and really don't want a trailer. How do you carry your paraglider? I'd need two, as DW is also a pilot. Is it legal to land on public lands?
Well, the parachute stuffs into it's own sack. Unless you want your legs to be your landing gear, you need some sort of trike. Most of these are light weight and detachable from the backpack unit which the harness is attached to and has the engine attached to it. I brought mine home from Phoenix in the back of my wife's Subaru Outback.

As far as public lands... BLM - YES! National Parks, Forests, anything - NO! State Parks - check your state but probably NO!

Powered Paragliders are Part 103 so no passengers. But since your wife is a pilot doesn't sound like that would be a problem.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #4

Very interesting. Obviously need some more research, but might see you in Quartzite next tear or two.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #5

Take a trip or two to the aviation event at Oshkosh and you will probably get some different ideas. One time years ago there was a MH with a trailer behind it carrying a MG and an experimental ac with the wings folded. I thought that was pretty good until I saw a large riverboat on the Mississippi with a crane to lift his CH-701 on floats into the water. I didn't actually see the boat/plane, it was in the Sport Aviation mag.

After learning to fly in a 150 during the late 70s, I wanted something with floats to go north in. I bought a T-craft in pieces to do that with, eventually, I hoped. Then after going to school to finish getting a A&P so I could maintain the thing, I determined the A&P wasn't designed for that. Then I sold the T-craft project and bought a large enclosed trailer designed to allow a CH-701 to fit inside with the wings folded. Diesel was cheap then, but after that changed I began to question the wisdom of having a 4-5k lb. trailer to haul a 700 lb. airplane around in.

The 701 project I bought had everything completed and only needed assembly of the wings, fuselage, etc., or so I thought. After getting the thing home and closely examining it I found that the builder had used a flush puller instead of the one he should have. The next year at Oshkosh I asked Chris what he thought I should do and his answer was to replace the rivets. I bought everything I needed to do that about 10 years ago, but it's still sitting in the garage and trailer. It seems like there is always something else to work on. Perhaps someday.

There are a couple of powered trike paragliders that fly around here. Looks like a lot of fun as long as the weather cooperates.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #6

The 701 is a very capable short field airplane. Always reminded me of a Jeep with wings. Hope you can finish her off some day.

There is a guy that runs a website called lowanslow.com. He hauls his powered parachute in the back of a small toy hauler and travels the country with his wife. That would be appealing except my wife wouldn't live in a toy hauler let alone let me store two-stroke gas in it.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Paragliding

I used to fly a Katana. A Diamond DA20. That was a fun plane to fly. A low wing with glass canopy. I no longer fly fixed wings. I miss it.

I was planning to buy a Powrachute. I took a test flight in one and the open cockpit feel was just awesome. But, powered parachutes are not very practical with RVs, unless you trailer them.

So, now I'm thinking of getting into Powered Paragliding. I'm going to check a local place for lessons.

Question: I know the wings used with Powered parachutes are very stable and practically stall proof. Are the wings used on PPG pretty much stall proof as well?
Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Question: I know the wings used with Powered parachutes are very stable and practically stall proof. Are the wings used on PPG pretty much stall proof as well?
Short answer, no. Bear in mind that I only flew a PPG for about a year, and have been flying my current PPC for about a year so consider the source. But here is my perspective on the two wing types, this is also from a fixed-wing pilot's point of view. The PPG wing is very much akin to a glider wing in an airplane. High performance, high lift, and yes they can be very stable but nowhere near as stable as a PPC wing. For me, the PPC wing is super-easy to launch, and takes more skill to land, ie. energy management, knowing when to flare, etc. The PPG wing is difficult to launch, and super-easy to land! When you're launching a PPG wing you have to actively steer it, you have to apply enough brake pressure to keep it from overflying you and landing in front of you! But far more maneuverable and you can spot land them almost from your first flights.

I may go back to PPG when I go full-time in my 5th wheel but for now I'm enjoying the PPC. I've thought about getting a toy hauler but my wife would never move into the RV if I did that.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanarts View Post
Any pilots out there? I see some old threads about pilots and flying but nothing recent. Anyone find a way to combine avaition with full time RVing? I'm going to try.
I'm considering an "airchair" ultralight glider, perhaps with an electric motor assist. Since my toad is an MG Midget which must be trailered, I could add a rack on top of the MG's trailer that could hold the partially disassembled UL glider as it only weighs ~150# - it's designed to be transported atop a pickup or cartop rack. ...or, I may just RV from glider port to glider port and get my aviation fix that way.

For more info on "airchair" type gliders, see: Basic Ultralight Glider

I started out in gliders as a teen; over the years, I worked my up to DC-9 captain. Now, I'm returning to my gliding roots.
Regenerative Carbon Farmer, RVM #161
RE_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE_Farmer View Post
I'm considering an "airchair" ultralight glider, perhaps with an electric motor assist. Since my toad is an MG Midget which must be trailered, I could add a rack on top of the MG's trailer that could hold the partially disassembled UL glider as it only weighs ~150# - it's designed to be transported atop a pickup or cartop rack. ...or, I may just RV from glider port to glider port and get my aviation fix that way.

For more info on "airchair" type gliders, see: Basic Ultralight Glider

I started out in gliders as a teen; over the years, I worked my up to DC-9 captain. Now, I'm returning to my gliding roots.
I've seen the Goat. I didn't care for the Bug much. I THINK that's the one that doesn't have normal 3-axis controls.

I'm currently flying a Part 103 legal powered parachute. Putting that up for sale so I can buy a new travel trailer.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanarts View Post
I've seen the Goat. I didn't care for the Bug much. I THINK that's the one that doesn't have normal 3-axis controls.
The Goat is a monoplane while the BUG is a bi-plane (sesquiplane actually as the lower wing is considerable smaller than the upper wing). IIRC, they both are 3-axis control and have similar total wind area and loading (~1.7psf) with the BUG having a shorter span than the Goat.

The PIG is the 2-axis control craft designed largely for training purposes, I think, as it has limited span making it hard to get out of ground effect therefore unable to get high enough to seriously hurt oneself.
Regenerative Carbon Farmer, RVM #161
RE_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Old thread but regardless...

I have an RV-4 and there is no easy way to trailer it so it stays mostly at home base. That means there are periods where I leave it behind. I don't like that. I've looked into some of the trailer-able options (other aircraft) and just can't get excited about them. Plus, towing an airplane and a Jeep is just getting silly.

"Home base" is an airport in the SW that has been "RV friendly", has a number of state parks nearby, and where I could get a t-hangar. It is too hot there during the summer months but the winter is pretty ok. I've tried re-positioning to a better summer location and that ends up being an awful lot of work.

I bought a chunk of land and built an airstrip on it this spring. The plan being to combine boondocking far out in the boonies with flying. Still working on that project - nothing is ever easy.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I am towing a 2003 RAF gyrocopter.
GyroGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #14

Sounds great! I no longer have a plane and am not often current....but still have my medical. When time permits and opportunity is close, I get my BFR, checked out, and then rent.
I still go to Oshkosh and dream of an LSA I could somehow take with me.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote