Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Commercial Member

prospecting

Any one prospecting while camping?
This is something I would like to do when I retire and hit the road.
I will install solar panels and extra batteries so I cam Boomdock close to some claim area's. I sure would like to get to know anybody out there doing this.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
6mm

Dont know how far you want to travel but when I go camping prospecting is always top of the list for us.
Would be glad to have company.
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

sounds fun .. do you know about the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas ?? only diamond field open to the public in the USA .
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Commercial Member

6mm

I live in south Louisianna and will be looking to full time in the next five years. I would like to meet up with a few people like you to learn the right way to prospect.

wonderer 1

I did not know anything about that and that's close to my location.

Thanks for all the info
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at what GPAA (Gold Prospector Association of America) has to offer. Some of their claims have camping sites although you'll need to be self contained.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Vagasdan

I thought of them, how many
States they are in. I plan to install solar on my camper in the next few years.
I will be getting my first metal detector this year. I will start with this and then tool up for prospecting for gold. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
Vagasdan

I thought of them, how many
States they are in. I plan to install solar on my camper in the next few years.
I will be getting my first metal detector this year. I will start with this and then tool up for prospecting for gold. Thanks for all the input.
I went to their web site and found that the LDMA (Lost Dutchman Mining Association) is the entity that has the claim sites around the country. I hadn't looked at their site for several years and was surprised to see they are improving their properties by adding hookups and dump stations to most of them. They have sites in California (several), Oregon, Georgia, SC, NC, Arizona, and Michigan. As a member of the LDMA you can camp for free and prospect.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
sounds fun .. do you know about the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas ?? only diamond field open to the public in the USA .
This park was all repaved a couple years ago, really a neat place and enough room for a 42' Travel Supreme we had.

This was an idea my wife really wanted to try (she makes a lot of jewelry).
After about 30 minutes she decided the jewelry store was more her style of fetching diamonds.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

I was all set up to go panning in Al/GA this year but got bit by a brown recluse spider that sidelined our trip. Come spring we will be there panning and using the metal detector. You will need some pans and a good sluce box, picks, buckets, shovels and boots. Oh, and a good back.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #10

Yup I are a Prospector I purty much gave up fishing and Hunting and just look for Gold some, don't get much but prospecting is fun. Ive been doing it for about 6 years and honks me off I didn't star 35 years ago. That's what I use my M/H for mostly. I belong to Washington Prospectors and Mining As. Best thing you can do is join a club to learn, you can't just dip a pan anywhere,you could wind up in jail. Out west there are a lot of claims and they don't like claim jumpers to say the least Fun times with the grandkids and kids.My son calls me STINKY PETE when I'm working with my mining equipment(I have a lot)
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I'm getting ready to order my first metal detector. The debate is should I order the Garrett ACE 250 or go for the AT Pro. I hate to order the ACE 250 and in a year I'm
Purchasing the AT Pro. I have a few beaches in my area within two hour of driving that I can hunt, not sure if the Ace 250 will work in the salty sand? I just sold a trailer
Load of scrap iron and have the funds to upgrade to the AT Pro, but I also wanted to get the Garrett pin pointer. I guess I could save up for the pin pointer and buy it
Next year. Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Prospecting

I have been investigating this for several months as an additional hobby.
I like to fly fish, but SoCal does not have a lot of really great fishing spots.
I have looked at many reviews, read a lot of forums.
It is really fun, but investigate.

I located a really good deal on a starter MD.
You may find a used one to get some idea what you like and don't like.
Some can be pretty expensive to find out you don't like it.

I really was sold on the Fisher F2 with 3 coils and a pinpointer, and dig tool in the package deal. Around $300.00.

Each one has it's high points, is purely choice, they all find metal.

Be ready to dig, rewards are slim,maybe one day I'll find something other than trash and pennies, in SoCal. A lot of people do well.
Experience and location have a lot to do with it.
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Will I just ordered my new Garrett AT PRO, Hopefully it will be in by next weekend. Can't wait to start detecting. I also ordered a small one for my 6 year grandson for Christmas preasent. He listen to Paw about wanting to go hunting for coins and stuff now he wants to come with me. He will have his own one now!! I will let everybody know about this unit after my first hunt.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #14

I have been detecting since 1984 and now use the Garrett GTI-1500 computerized unit. If you are new to all this here are a few things to remember to be successful:

1- Read all the instructions and set the unit up for what you are looking for. Gold and nickle come up the same. Silver and alum come up the same so play in your backyard with both to hear and see the different settings. Use headphones.

2- Take it slow. The good stuff is deep and you may only hear a slight sound. Going fast you will miss a lot of good stuff. Search in a grid pattern of 20' at a time. My best finds have been 12" - 18" deep.

3- When you swipe the ground do it level about 1 inch above the ground. We tend to arc our units as we swing so the distance from the ground goes up the farther out we swing. Practice swing so the head stays level.

4- Always cover up any holes you dig. Dig plugs in grass so you can put the plug back in and it will grow and always take home and throw away any junk you find. This will insure others can also come back and detect.

The very first day in 1984 when I got my unit I went to a local beach away from everyone to test it out. I found a lot of beer cans and junk. I was ready to quit when the unit went crazy. I dug down and found a 1852 coin and some broken glass. I dug until dark and went back several times. In all I found 386 coins that must have been in a big jar that a store in the early 1900's had on their counter. The store burnt down and the bulldozer plowed them in. To say the least I've been hooked ever since.

Good luck and have fun!