Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #15

Of course, y'all know ya don't need a parachute to skydive.

(You likely need one to do it more than once, though!)
n2zon is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Of course, y'all know ya don't need a parachute to skydive.

(You likely need one to do it more than once, though!)

Give a man a plane ticket and he'll fly to his destination. Push him out of a plane without a chute and he'll fly for the rest of his life...
Old 07-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Do jumps from 1200 feet with a static line count as skydiving?
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Made 3 static line jumps, hoping to overcome my fear of heights. Didn't work. Made from 3000 feet. Had an issue on 3rd jump, had my fingers on the releases to dump my main and go to the reserve, but resolved the issue and floated on down.

Been in a glider and a helicopter (not to skydive, of course). Only thing in that arena I still haven't done is hot air balloon and a blimp. Doubt I ever do either.
I jumped from a helicopter one time. It was really weird! I expected the prop wash to blow me off the step. NOPE! Totally calm air! All the prop wash is further out!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
Do jumps from 1200 feet with a static line count as skydiving?
Nope, that's parachuting, not skydiving!
Old 07-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #20

Never skydived...just scuba
120' was deepest dive, did night time dive (hated it)
Most dives were 50' - 60'

Jump from a plane......NO
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Any old worn-out skydivers out there?
101 jumps to my name. When I was in college early 70's I used to ride my motorcycle to the airfield with my parachute strapped to the back of the bike. Mom said I had a death wish. I jumped from 2500 feet to 10,000 feet. We would jump at football halftime landing on the 50 yard line, then all of the cheerleaders from both teams would run up to us helping to gather our parachutes. Ah, they were the days! (PS, don't tell Sharon about the cheerleader thing )
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Never skydived...just scuba
120' was deepest dive, did night time dive (hated it)
Most dives were 50' - 60'

Jump from a plane......NO
In clear Caribbean water, I will take a night dive over a day dive any day. You see so much more.

Guess my static line jumps don't count as skydiving. One of my instructors got a streamer (chute doesn't "inflate" fully) a few weeks after I had been out there. He survived, but I understand he is a little shorter.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #23

Yes one near Campti,La ,made close to 200 logged probably 2/3 of them . I'm toying with doing a few more for my virtual photo album at my funeral. My wife says I'm nuts I said isn't that the point!
Porkchop401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:20 PM   #24

I did a tandem jump from 10,000' once...that was enough.

As they say, only 2 things fall out of the sky....

Old 07-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I remember one jump in particular! We were jumping one weekend from a twin Beechcraft. A cold front was moving in fast when someone said shouted that they were getting a group together to try and break the state altitude record! I had just jumped and my chute wasn't packed! Someone handed me their chute because they didn't want to go. Normally I would not have jumped a chute that someone else packed, but I didn't want to miss that load!

Nine of us jumped into the twin Beech and off we go! That old bird climbed out like a homesick angel and pretty soon we were at 15,600 ft AGL. The pilot didn't want to go any higher because none of us had oxygen. The front had moved in and there was a solid layer of clouds between us and the ground, so we had no idea where we were!

The pilot circled at that altitude for 30 minutes, with the jumpmaster looking for a break in the clouds. We were all getting giddy by that time from lack of oxygen. Finally, the jumpmaster spotted a small hole in the clouds and hollered "jump!". We all piled out and went into freefall for 60 seconds or so, delaying opening until we went through the cloud layer. Nobody hit the hole in the clouds! I cleared the clouds at about 1500' and pulled the ripcord. That's when we discovered that the wind was gusting about 30 MPH! It scattered us all over that countryside! The folks on the ground spent about an hour rounding all of us up!

We did set a new altitude record and nobody got hurt, but not something that I would want to do again anytime soon!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #26

When I was in the AF there was a group of us in Mt Home, ID that went over to the local tiny airport and jumped a few times. Lots of fun. We folded our own chutes, T-10's, and practiced jumping off a platform that was 5' high and doing the three point rolls.

Those T-10's dropped you like a lead balloon!

We did a lot of classroom training, practiced our rolls, folding chutes and then FINALLY after..oh..I don't recall how many weeks it was, we got to jump out of a Cessna 142 or 172. Everything was ripped out of those planes so we could cram people into them.

On one of our 1st jumps, the 1st guy out landed in a gofer hole and broke his ankle! Terrible.

I watched my roommate jump and noticed there were two chutes deployed! We were still static line jumping. As he was going through the routine, "Look 1000, reach 1000, pull 1000" he forgot to look, and pulled his emergency handle instead! LOL!

He realized what he had done and started stuffing the chute between his legs! Needless to say, he never made that mistake again.

Can you imagine if you had to do that 3 point roll now..at THIS age? I would be a bag of bones!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3point-roll.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	336991  
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #27

HA! Now you got me thinking about my Dad.

My Dad turned 91 back in December of 2016 and in January 2017 I visited him and he was in great shape, walking around with no problems, working out at the gym 3 times a week. I would work out with him and even though I was in good shape from doing running and stuff, I was working up a sweat trying to keep up with him.

Well February 2017 comes by and he calls me up and says he wants to jump out of an airplane. I said, "Dad, I was JUST there, can you wait until June or July when I come down to see you again and we'll jump together?" "Nope he said, I wanna do this now".

Hindsight I think he knew he didn't have much more time to live as his bladder cancer had come back....but he never told anyone. And I think his answer to the guys question in the video is telling, "Why are you doing this today?", My Dad replied, "Cause I can't do it tomorrow." HA! I know it was a joke, but probably some truth in there as well.

Anyway, he jumped and I have the video of it. I talked to him after he landed and asked him how it went and he said fine. Hmm, fine? I expected a little more enthusiasm. I checked a bit later and found the video of him and noticed it didn't show him landing like the other folks videos did.

The next day I got a call from a waitress at his usual hang out and she said, "Your Dad just came in using a WALKER!". Uh oh...somethings not right.

I called him immediately and he confessed that when he landed (he was doing a tandem jump) he didn't lift his feet up so the guy behind him could land properly, and instead, landed on his feet and proceeded to somersault over and over. At the end of the video you can see he's dazed.

I called the jump place and asked to speak to the jump master, but instead got the manager of the place. I said I was VERY upset that they didn't call me. I had been in contact with them prior to him jumping as I wanted to make sure they have handled people of his age before, and they assured me they had. I also paid for the video so they had my number.

I asked her if she was aware of what happened to my Dad, she said she wasn't. I said, "Well you better have a talk with your crew as they should have told you AND, I SHOULD have been CALLED and told what happened!" Man I was so angry!

I had my sister take him to a local hospital and had him checked out. Turns out he was fine, just shook up. No broken bones, just a sore hip that went a way after a few days.

But he did it, and I was proud of him. Just wished I could have done it with him.

He went downhill pretty fast after that....by September, during hurricane Irma, he passed. I was there, staying in his assisted living place as it was a hurricane 5 proof building. But he was in hospice and passed that night the hurricane came through.

He was a great Dad, and loved going to the beach, especially right before hurricanes as the surf was BIG! and he loved body surfing...so it seemed right for him to pass then.

Wow...sorry about all that..this skydiving thread really made it all come back!

Anyway, here's the link to his video. You'll see he forgot everything they told him to do. He was supposed to put his hands out but they had to smack him on his arm a few times and even grab his hands to pull them out to help control the free fall. I could see the guy finally get frustrated and just cancel the fall and pulled the cord so they could float down.

But, all in all he was happy he did it, and we were all very proud of him. I hope I live to be 91 and have as much energy and gumption as he did.

Here's the video:
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
HA! Now you got me thinking about my Dad.

My Dad turned 91 back in December of 2016 and in January 2017 I visited him and he was in great shape, walking around with no problems, working out at the gym 3 times a week. I would work out with him and even though I was in good shape from doing running and stuff, I was working up a sweat trying to keep up with him.

Well February 2017 comes by and he calls me up and says he wants to jump out of an airplane. I said, "Dad, I was JUST there, can you wait until June or July when I come down to see you again and we'll jump together?" "Nope he said, I wanna do this now".

Hindsight I think he knew he didn't have much more time to live as his bladder cancer had come back....but he never told anyone. And I think his answer to the guys question in the video is telling, "Why are you doing this today?", My Dad replied, "Cause I can't do it tomorrow." HA! I know it was a joke, but probably some truth in there as well.

Anyway, he jumped and I have the video of it. I talked to him after he landed and asked him how it went and he said fine. Hmm, fine? I expected a little more enthusiasm. I checked a bit later and found the video of him and noticed it didn't show him landing like the other folks videos did.

The next day I got a call from a waitress at his usual hang out and she said, "Your Dad just came in using a WALKER!". Uh oh...somethings not right.

I called him immediately and he confessed that when he landed (he was doing a tandem jump) he didn't lift his feet up so the guy behind him could land properly, and instead, landed on his feet and proceeded to somersault over and over. At the end of the video you can see he's dazed.

I called the jump place and asked to speak to the jump master, but instead got the manager of the place. I said I was VERY upset that they didn't call me. I had been in contact with them prior to him jumping as I wanted to make sure they have handled people of his age before, and they assured me they had. I also paid for the video so they had my number.

I asked her if she was aware of what happened to my Dad, she said she wasn't. I said, "Well you better have a talk with your crew as they should have told you AND, I SHOULD have been CALLED and told what happened!" Man I was so angry!

I had my sister take him to a local hospital and had him checked out. Turns out he was fine, just shook up. No broken bones, just a sore hip that went a way after a few days.

But he did it, and I was proud of him. Just wished I could have done it with him.

He went downhill pretty fast after that....by September, during hurricane Irma, he passed. I was there, staying in his assisted living place as it was a hurricane 5 proof building. But he was in hospice and passed that night the hurricane came through.

He was a great Dad, and loved going to the beach, especially right before hurricanes as the surf was BIG! and he loved body surfing...so it seemed right for him to pass then.

Wow...sorry about all that..this skydiving thread really made it all come back!

Anyway, here's the link to his video. You'll see he forgot everything they told him to do. He was supposed to put his hands out but they had to smack him on his arm a few times and even grab his hands to pull them out to help control the free fall. I could see the guy finally get frustrated and just cancel the fall and pulled the cord so they could float down.

But, all in all he was happy he did it, and we were all very proud of him. I hope I live to be 91 and have as much energy and gumption as he did.

Here's the video:
Your dad was an exceptional guy! Thanks for sharing!

« Painting... | - »