Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMelton View Post
I've always wanted to learn to spin yarn and also to weave but never had the opportunity, you are very lucky to be able to do it at home and on the road!
Hey, Val! Meet up w/ us sometime and I'll teach you the basics. Or google spinning guilds and you might find someone in your area who would love to teach you. I would!

Cheers!

Sue
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #16

PS Val -- You don't need a spinning wheel to do this, so it can be really inexpensive to get started. Inexpensive as in under $20. How cool is that?!!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #17

where are you at? we live in West Virginia, would love to meet up with ya sometime!
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
where are you at? we live in West Virginia, would love to meet up with ya sometime!
We are in east central IL, halfway down the state and near the IN border. Headed for the iRV2 National in Sept. Are you going, by any chance?

Other than that, we head for the Gulf coast of FL in Dec.and stay till April. Any chance in that time period? Our route usually takes us through Chattanooga, but can be amended.

I always have fiber supplies with me, so we could have some fun sharing and playing. Patterns, ideas, spinning.... I'd really like to meet up too.

Cheers!

Sue
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Heya, ValMelton! We haven't spoken lately except on the crocheters thread. We'll head your way (to SW FL) in mid-December. Any chance of a meetup around then? Or later on in FL, if you like.

I always being spinning equipment, including reaching supplies, so it would be easy to give you a lesson. I'd love to!

Cheers!
Sue
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #20

I took my spinning wheel to Florida one winter but had trouble spinning outside due to the wind. Now I'm set up to weave during the longer trips. I bought a table loom that fits under the bed. I bought a drop spindle for the RV, but just can't seem to get the hang of it. I guess I need to keep trying.
Ethel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #21

Hey Sue! Your book charkha looked so intriguing, I ordered one for myself from India, a self-lubricating model, much like the Bosworth, but less costly. Hopefully will arrive by the end of the month. Punis on the way too, though I plan to try alpaca also from a neighbour's alpaca farm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	47097  
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #22

Hey Tina! Just found this old post about your charkha. It looks really nice and well made. Much better than the last Indian ones I saw years ago.

I know your life has been very unsettled lately, and of course I hope your daughter is doing well on her medication. That was quite a scare.

Have you played with the charkha much since you got it? It can be a big challenge at first, but I expect you know that already! If you can watch a few YouTube videos, or even better, get Eileen Hallman's DVD, those will help with technique. The rest is just down to practice.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Hey Tina! Just found this old post about your charkha. It looks really nice and well made. Much better than the last Indian ones I saw years ago.

I know your life has been very unsettled lately, and of course I hope your daughter is doing well on her medication. That was quite a scare.

Have you played with the charkha much since you got it? It can be a big challenge at first, but I expect you know that already! If you can watch a few YouTube videos, or even better, get Eileen Hallman's DVD, those will help with technique. The rest is just down to practice.
Well, despite the upheaval (currently in Toronto for another test, but DD is doing fine, no more seizures) I have been busy spinning, dyeing and knitting. I got the hang of the charkha and am playing with it in spare moments. Did get that video, which was helpful. I also have been drum carding and spinning dog and cat hair and so far have produced a dog and shetland wool headband and a pair of kitty mittens with cat hair and shetland which I also dyed. The dog hair from our golden creates a lovely halo, chiengora!. The cat hair was a little more challenging, but worked out. Currently on the needles is a cloche hat made of the cat yarn which I hope to felt. We will see how that goes! I want to spin enough cotton for tea towels, and have a long knitting list. Big plans, lol! You?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Well, despite the upheaval (currently in Toronto for another test, but DD is doing fine, no more seizures) I have been busy spinning, dyeing and knitting. I got the hang of the charkha and am playing with it in spare moments. Did get that video, which was helpful. I also have been drum carding and spinning dog and cat hair and so far have produced a dog and shetland wool headband and a pair of kitty mittens with cat hair and shetland which I also dyed. The dog hair from our golden creates a lovely halo, chiengora!. The cat hair was a little more challenging, but worked out. Currently on the needles is a cloche hat made of the cat yarn which I hope to felt. We will see how that goes! I want to spin enough cotton for tea towels, and have a long knitting list. Big plans, lol! You?
Wowsa! You are busy...takes my breath a away! I was spinning, plying and skeining madly away up until yesterday when we realized a snow event is about to sock us in if we don't get a move on. So it's been hectic trying to finish up the packing.

The loom is in, the yarns and shuttles and lease sticks are all ready to go in, the spinning wheel is in...knitting projects either in the rig or right beside me and a niddy noddy and lazy Kate are here too. Geesh! The stuff we travel with!

Hope DD is still doing well. Any news from recent testing? (Our 4-year old GD has seizures, so we have some feel for the anxiety surrounding the issue.)

All the best!
Sue
Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #25

Have a safe journey! Sadly, we cancelled our Florida reservations, so no mini-curiosity in the works. Although daughter is fine so far, I just do not yet feel comfortable being several days drive away, since only one of us drives and that would be me. Maybe next year!

One of the attractions of an RV is that we CAN take it with us, lol. Every time I look at a motorhome, I start figuring out where the stash/wheel/yarn/and spinnable stuff would go. Now looking at folding wheels, since some money has been freed up by not going south!

Have fun and do a paddle for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Anyone RVing with a spinning wheel, or spindle spinning? I do both, as well as knit. Right now the wheel is in the sticks and bricks, spindles on the road. Would like to get a smaller travelling wheel to take along. My Ashford Traditional is too big!
Yes! I travel with a spinning wheel in our Alpine coach; it is a Kromski Sonata which folds and has a carrying case. Spins well and is full sized when set up (which takes only minutes). But---- it still takes room! Considering finally learning spindle spinning as an alternative while in the coach (we are in a small house in the winter), I have quite a collection of spindles but have never stuck with it long enough to consider it an alternative to a wheel.
b schenefeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by b schenefeld View Post
Yes! I travel with a spinning wheel in our Alpine coach; it is a Kromski Sonata which folds and has a carrying case. Spins well and is full sized when set up (which takes only minutes). But---- it still takes room! Considering finally learning spindle spinning as an alternative while in the coach (we are in a small house in the winter), I have quite a collection of spindles but have never stuck with it long enough to consider it an alternative to a wheel.

Spindles are a great choice for the MoHo, but if you have a wheel that fits, it's a great addition. My Majacraft Little Gem folding wheel can sit in a corner of the bedroom or fold up for basement storage. I also carry a charkha for cotton and can spin up quite a bit, then ply on the wheel.

Good to hear from you. What are you spinning these days?

Cheers!
Sue
Old 09-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #28

I'm new to this forum. Just saw the post about spinning. I have a Sonata was well. When we travel I keep it in the closest to the front of the coach downstairs bin so not to add heat from the engine. Even though it is a traveling wheel it still takes up a good amount of room. Thinking strongly about getting an Espinner. ...an electric spinning wheel. But for now still in the thinking phase. ..KSS
KnitSpinSew is offline   Reply With Quote