Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Surf and Pier fishing

Love saltwater fishing but had to choose between a boat and a toad. Wife voted toad so she won. Thought it might be nice to get a thread going with good beach fishing spots from Southern Ca to the East coast of Florida for all of us snowbirds. Let’s have your recommendations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #2

Myrtle Beach State Park (SC) has a nice fishing pier and store. Last time I was there they were still repairing it from a hurricane. They indicated it would be soon, so call them for current status.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

I have a great time saltwater fishing from my kayak, which transports easily on top of a rig or a toad. Perfect boat for Florida, winding though channels and rivers and keys and (on calmer days) out onto open ocean.

Some of the new kayaks are wider than the old ones and so are much more stable going out through the waves.

But, failing that, a ton of good pier/rock/dock fishing can be had all around Bonita Springs, Florida.

If you're more into sport than eating, surf-cast anywhere on Padre Island, Texas for sharks and rays.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I salt water fish from a kayak (as Bobby F) said and it is a great way to fish. I can't find a reasonable way to carry it on my class A (to long and to heavy) but I put it in the back of my F-150 and away we go... actually put my wife's kayak and mine in the back of F-150 TOAD.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #5

Beverly Beach Camptown in Flagler Beach is right on the surf. Lots of surf fishing by visitors to the park. Front row is on top of a sea wall and has an unobstructed view of Atlantic. One row back is cheaper and you can still see some ocean from your site...or walk 70' and stand on the seawall on a walkway in front of the elite.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

Pensacola Beach has a great pier and even better surf fishing!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In south Texas-
Port Aransas, Tx has jetties, Horace Caldwell Pier, and surf fishing. You can boon dock right on the beach or stay at one of the many RV parks.
Corpus Christi, Tx-Bob Hall Pier, Packery channel Jetties and park on the beach boon docking.
Padre Island National Seashore just outside of Corpus Christi is pretty nice. Its my favorite get away for surf fishing. There is RV hookups on the beach in one area. When you hit the beach you can drive south for 60 miles to the Port Mansfield Jetties. The best part of PINS is the lack of people. Once you get to the 5 mile marker it is suggested to have 4wd. I would not take a big RV down very far and you have to be careful on the sand. I grew up in this area and spent the better part of 35 years fishing this area. There is no cell service tht you can count on, it is not heavily patrolled by the Park Rangers, you have to take caution and be prepared but its worth it. If camping on the beach, you need to look at the weed line from the previous high tide and set up to the dune side of the weed line. There have times we camped 4-5 days down on PINS and not see another person other than drive by traffic and very little of that.
bootstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #8

I realize I'm responding to a pretty old thread.

I have had boats long before we acquired our travel trailer. I won't say I get out to the lakes every week, but I give it a good try. Now that we have a travel trailer and a boat, I have to balance the two. I like to book our camping trips to the Northern California coast. That gives me an opportunity for some pretty decent surf fishing while enjoying some beautiful areas in the travel trailer. In between I still get the boat out to the lakes for trout fishing.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:11 PM   #9

Nice to see and read this older thread come back to life, and making some notes from for future trips whilst stuck in the frigid north virtual camping for past several months.

Hubby loves fishing in Florida at Venice Pier, Nokomis "The Jetties", Sunshine Bridge, Lake Ocheechobe (probably spelt that wrong LOL), Surf Fishing off Turtle Beach Sarasota area. Then up past St Armands Circle along the road from there leading to Bradenton and just before the circle, there's tons of places he fishes at when down there for weeks at a time.

Happy Travels everyone, envious of our southerly neighbours enjoying your beautiful country.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #10

First I had a minor medical procedure. No big deal but it sidelined me for a few weeks. Then one of our little pooches ended up needing surgery on some cervical vertebrae, which required some convalescence. Result was we had to cancel one of our short trips to the coast.

If things go to plan, we will be taking the travel trailer to a campground at the coast next week. Eating BBQ, sitting around, seeing some beautiful coastline, and a couple of mornings surf fishing. Going to be living the life!!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #11

Florida Atlantic coast

If around Saint Augustine the small damn in Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve has good fishing. It costs $3.00 to get in, opens at 4am closes around 7pm. The Atlantic side is good fishing there also.

Villanova Beach is a good area, just outside of St. Augustine and the Vilano pier is just around the corner as well.

Daytona area has the Sunglow Pier as well as general surf fishing. Our favorite spot when we go to Daytona is the Ponce inlet at New Smyrna Beach.
Skooter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #12

In Texas, north of Port Aransas we like Matagorda beach. There is good fishing in Matagorda under the intracoastal bridge, either side, and the three mile cut as well.
Skooter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club