Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

160 amp Leese Neville not charging

My 2001 Dutch Star isn't charging the battery while driving. It had no output at idle, or driving. The diesel mechanic said the alternator was bad so we replaced it. It looks great, took it for a test drive and it seemed to be working. I was in the mountains at the time on vacation and headed home the other day. After about an hour I realized it wasn't charging at all.

I turned on the genset and used it to charge up the batteries for the rest o the trip down the mountains.

Arriving home I checked it out, like I thought he did, and found no 12v coming from the ignition. It does have 12v to the battery connection. Next I fed 12v to the ignition contact on the alternator and it came right to life, charging like crazy.

I can't find what is stopping the current from the ignition, is there a fuse somewhere? I've looked all over and can't find one. Maybe there is an ignition solenoid somewhere? I don't have a wiring diagram or schematic. I contacted Spartan Friday morning and they haven't provided anything yet. Hopefully they can help too.

There are a couple of relays in the back under the bed, but nothing is labeled. I'm hoping it simple like a fuse. I checked in the electrical cabinet behind of the right rear tire and don't see anything labeled alternator, same under the hood. I must be missing one somewhere.

Thanks!
Jim
edgesbyrohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #2

Some have Duvac relays and fuses. Look for something like that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

I"m not up on this, but some older vehicles had a fusible link in the feed line.Have you tested the wire from ignition to alt. for continuity at every junction/terminal?

Hopefully a phone call to Newmar will be fruitful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:02 PM   #4

I have wiring schematics for 2000/2002 Spartan chassis Newmars ; I'll see what's in the ignition feed to the alternator there .

EDIT: The schematic I have shows a 5 amp fuse in one the rear fuse blocks ; I'll look for a fuse box diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spartan ignition start charge diagram 2.pdf (239.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #5

Ok I found the fuse in a photo of the rear fuse boxes from another member .

Green box is the fuse description ( #8 , 5 amp , Alt Ext ) Alternator excite .

The description is not be side the fuse ( red box ) because there is no room for the lettering only the #8 .

Yellow and orange markings are from a previous use of the photo , please ignore them .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Dutch fuse blocks.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	376733  
Old 09-18-2022, 11:20 PM   #6

Problem found and fixed!

Skip had the keys to the kingdom with the schematic and the picture. The picture shows the fuse circled and the writing located quite a way from it. I tested the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and started the coach, it went right up to about 14v. Without that it was about 12.3.

I had tried to trace the wiring and got part way through towards the electrical cabinet that the fuse was located, but there are so many harnesses they bundle together that's difficult. I had looked at this block, but didn't see the small writing not located at the fuse.

Thank you to all of you for your suggestions and schematics!

Jim Rohde
edgesbyrohde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging