Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #1

1992 American Eagle

I found a blown fuse in a fuse holder under the front hood, next to a big relay above the generator. It was a 30 amp fuse. Does anybody know what this fuse is for? Could it be the ventilation system (it's not working right). Anybody know what value fuse it should be? My manual doesn't show any fuse locations. It lists the fuses and the proper fuse values (no 30 amp fuses listed). The manual is awful. It talks about things but doesn't really have any useful information. I sure would like a chassis service manual as I do my own maintenance. We just bought this motorhome and it has many things wrong with it, the ventilation system being but one, the only thing that works is the defroster (thank God for that). I have a ton of manuals but they are all operator manuals for the civilian, not very detailed and without any real troubleshooting help. I have a 1996 FL70 Freightliner with the same motor and air brakes that I have complete service manuals for, a lot of this applies to the same systems on the motorhome (already replaced a quick release valve). Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Among the other things that aren't working are: the leveling jacks, exhaust brake, odometer, hour meter, coolant temp gauge, perhaps tranny temp gauge (not sure, seems to be running too cool), radio (this was running to the rear speakers until I turned on the rear radio, now the dash radio comes on but no speakers), cargo bay lights, engine compartment light, docking lights (one of 4 works), Spotlight doesn't work, Dash A/C not working, None of the tank monitoring or battery monitoring systems work, passenger power seat doesn't work, roof leaks, awnings need replacing, etc. I think many of the problems are related to corrosion in the electrical system, the former owner took it to Pismo Beach dunes a lot. Going to be a lot of fun fixing all of these things. Thanks for any help!!
RickfromPaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #2

WOW! You've got a lifetime of fixes to make. I was the original owner of a '92 Am. Eagle, side isle, 300hp, 6-speed and had a mural painted on the rear cap by Letterfly. I'm afraid I can't help with your issues but was interested to see if your '92 could have been mine.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #3

Also, have you posted your info request in the Yahoo- American Coach forums? Pretty big group over there.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #4

John, Thanks for the info on the American Coach forum. I applied to join. I contacted spartan, they said there are no service manuals available. I have service manuals for all my vehicles except this one. I did a carfax check on this motorhome before we bought it. It was Registered in CA, AZ and OR in it's lifetime. It's a beautiful motorhome, even with all of it's problems.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #5

Just for your info, that fuse is for the generator electric cooling fan. The people at Fleetwood sent me a diagram.

Regards, Rick
Old 10-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

1992 American Eagle problems

I also bought a 1992 American Eagle five years ago but has a 4-speed transmission. Several of the problems that you have I have had but I still have the leveling problem. I know the pump motor will not run even if hot-wired. It is also not getting power to it when the control panel is used. I would appreciate it if you could relay any information that you have gotten in regards to the problems you have had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickfromPaso View Post
I found a blown fuse in a fuse holder under the front hood, next to a big relay above the generator. It was a 30 amp fuse. Does anybody know what this fuse is for? Could it be the ventilation system (it's not working right). Anybody know what value fuse it should be? My manual doesn't show any fuse locations. It lists the fuses and the proper fuse values (no 30 amp fuses listed). The manual is awful. It talks about things but doesn't really have any useful information. I sure would like a chassis service manual as I do my own maintenance. We just bought this motorhome and it has many things wrong with it, the ventilation system being but one, the only thing that works is the defroster (thank God for that). I have a ton of manuals but they are all operator manuals for the civilian, not very detailed and without any real troubleshooting help. I have a 1996 FL70 Freightliner with the same motor and air brakes that I have complete service manuals for, a lot of this applies to the same systems on the motorhome (already replaced a quick release valve). Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Among the other things that aren't working are: the leveling jacks, exhaust brake, odometer, hour meter, coolant temp gauge, perhaps tranny temp gauge (not sure, seems to be running too cool), radio (this was running to the rear speakers until I turned on the rear radio, now the dash radio comes on but no speakers), cargo bay lights, engine compartment light, docking lights (one of 4 works), Spotlight doesn't work, Dash A/C not working, None of the tank monitoring or battery monitoring systems work, passenger power seat doesn't work, roof leaks, awnings need replacing, etc. I think many of the problems are related to corrosion in the electrical system, the former owner took it to Pismo Beach dunes a lot. Going to be a lot of fun fixing all of these things. Thanks for any help!!
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote