Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
1999 American Coach Spartan Chassis Verification

New here, and just purchased a 1999 AC Heritage 45 tag on the spartan chassis, with a 450 hp Cummins. Going through the mountains a papers that came with the Coach and found documents saying this had an independent front suspension and steerable tag. Is that possible for a 1999 Coach ? I guess I didnít realize what a great chassis I was getting. Can anyone explain more about this spartan chassis
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rob_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Posts: 2,477
Spartan Mountain Master chassis and yes it has independent front suspension. Didnít know they had steerable tag though. It would be passive steering not steerable as in you turning the tag wheels yourself.

You have purchased a great coach, congrats.
__________________
2002 American Tradition 40'
Cummins 8.3, Banks 431hp, 1260 tq
Canyon Lake, TX
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarCS1 View Post
New here, and just purchased a 1999 AC Heritage 45 tag on the spartan chassis, with a 450 hp Cummins. Going through the mountains a papers that came with the Coach and found documents saying this had an independent front suspension and steerable tag. Is that possible for a 1999 Coach ? I guess I didnít realize what a great chassis I was getting. Can anyone explain more about this spartan chassis
Big Thanks, we knew it was what we were looking for, good condition and solid quality. Wife fell in love with the retro style and quality. Thanks again for your help [ATTACH] https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cas...q7TvMgDvW0sS7w
[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FA2EE12-AF31-45B9-AA0A-7101E02D8B71.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	387870   Click image for larger version

Name:	766C0A0D-6424-4CA7-9E78-F0B2BB39DEBB.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	387871  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB9E43E0-E33C-4916-9544-7F0137F2B59E.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	387872  
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
craigbenoit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Monson Mass
Posts: 157
Visit Spartan in Charolotte

That is a beautiful coach. I bet a trip to Spartan in Charolette Mi would be great. They would treat you like royalty.
We have been thier several times with our 2004 Dutch Star. The Techs we worked with were happy to see and service an older coach. They have a repair pit that they will drive your coach over and do a full chassis inspection and even take you on a tour underneath the coach. Of course, they want to sell you the repairs they outline in detail for you, but thier was no pressure and they laid out a suggested priority of work combining work that made sense to do at the same time.

https://www.spartanrvchassis.com/

We booked an appointment last summer for June 2nd of this year as part of our wandering trip back north. We will do the full chassis inspection again and focus on the breaks, they suggested a second look back in 2018 the first time we did the full chassis inspection. At that time, it was $125.00, an hour's labor for the inspection and report. Well worth the cost and the lead Tech. had worked on the assembly line before moving over to the service facility.
They have a parking-lot RV area with 50 amp electric a dump station and water fill. Not fancy but very convent.
We did the Gilmore Auto Museum and ALL the local private restaurants while we were there. Mmmm Homne made pies and deserts.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 11:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 28,044
The front suspension should have an ID tag on the center frame section, stating Reyco-Granning IFS 1460 or likely a higher number. The number is intentionally missing a "0", for instance that 1460 means the axle maximum weight rating is 14,600lbs., yours is likely higher.


https://reycogranning.com/sales-service-literature/
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rob_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Posts: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarCS1 View Post
Big Thanks, we knew it was what we were looking for, good condition and solid quality. Wife fell in love with the retro style and quality. Thanks again for your help [ATTACH] https://share.icloud.com/photos/0cas...q7TvMgDvW0sS7w

[/ATTACH]

Wow. Beautiful AC! How many miles?

We love our Ď02 Tradition.
__________________
2002 American Tradition 40'
Cummins 8.3, Banks 431hp, 1260 tq
Canyon Lake, TX
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:04 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbenoit View Post
That is a beautiful coach. I bet a trip to Spartan in Charolette Mi would be great. They would treat you like royalty.
We have been thier several times with our 2004 Dutch Star. The Techs we worked with were happy to see and service an older coach. They have a repair pit that they will drive your coach over and do a full chassis inspection and even take you on a tour underneath the coach. Of course, they want to sell you the repairs they outline in detail for you, but thier was no pressure and they laid out a suggested priority of work combining work that made sense to do at the same time.

https://www.spartanrvchassis.com/

We booked an appointment last summer for June 2nd of this year as part of our wandering trip back north. We will do the full chassis inspection again and focus on the breaks, they suggested a second look back in 2018 the first time we did the full chassis inspection. At that time, it was $125.00, an hour's labor for the inspection and report. Well worth the cost and the lead Tech. had worked on the assembly line before moving over to the service facility.
They have a parking-lot RV area with 50 amp electric a dump station and water fill. Not fancy but very convent.
We did the Gilmore Auto Museum and ALL the local private restaurants while we were there. Mmmm Homne made pies and deserts.
Already have my appointment for June at Spartan for a once over for the MH and a colonoscopy for me. I have the 2020 records of last time it was there at 89k miles. It has 105k now as I just purchased it I want Spartan do check it and.
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:10 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Wow. Beautiful AC! How many miles?

We love our ‘02 Tradition.
105k we have been looking for something exactly like this, great condition and good solid bones. It is in storage in Fl. As we are in Vermont waiting for winter to move out. We are the 3rd. Owner and purchase it 2 months ago in Fl . And drove it 10 miles to storage. Really itching to go get her and bring her north.
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:15 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbenoit View Post
That is a beautiful coach. I bet a trip to Spartan in Charolette Mi would be great. They would treat you like royalty.
We have been thier several times with our 2004 Dutch Star. The Techs we worked with were happy to see and service an older coach. They have a repair pit that they will drive your coach over and do a full chassis inspection and even take you on a tour underneath the coach. Of course, they want to sell you the repairs they outline in detail for you, but thier was no pressure and they laid out a suggested priority of work combining work that made sense to do at the same time.

https://www.spartanrvchassis.com/

We booked an appointment last summer for June 2nd of this year as part of our wandering trip back north. We will do the full chassis inspection again and focus on the breaks, they suggested a second look back in 2018 the first time we did the full chassis inspection. At that time, it was $125.00, an hour's labor for the inspection and report. Well worth the cost and the lead Tech. had worked on the assembly line before moving over to the service facility.
They have a parking-lot RV area with 50 amp electric a dump station and water fill. Not fancy but very convent.
We did the Gilmore Auto Museum and ALL the local private restaurants while we were there. Mmmm Homne made pies and deserts.
We are scheduled for June 14, just a little after you.
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:26 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The front suspension should have an ID tag on the center frame section, stating Reyco-Granning IFS 1460 or likely a higher number. The number is intentionally missing a "0", for instance that 1460 means the axle maximum weight rating is 14,600lbs., yours is likely higher.


https://reycogranning.com/sales-service-literature/
Front axle says 656-DD1 and 13200 lb. GAWR on the cab sticker I will check what the axle says on it when we go get it in April
NewmarCS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:42 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 5,181
Our '97 has a Mountain Master chassis with IFS and side radiator. No Tag though.
Your new coach looks awesome. Enjoy.
__________________
Rick and Larrie Dee
1997 40' Newmar London Aire DP CTA 8.3 (Mechanical) 325 Spartan MM
Bringing her back to her glory.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 28,044
NewmarCS1, can we expect a screen name change in the near future?
The Spartan motorhome chassis is an extension of the Spartan commercial bus chassis division.https://www.spartanrvchassis.com/ which is built to last one million miles.
The Spartan RV -specific 45' tag-axle chassis is not a Mountain Master, it is either a K2 or K3 chassis.

Spartan's main business is building chassis for fire trucks, ambulances, and commercial bus's.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1999, cat, chassis, coach, spartan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American Coach Tradtion :: 2008 American Coach American Tradition Chuck Driver iRV2 Owners Registry 0 03-06-2023 10:27 AM
Radiator Replaced 1999 Spartan Chassis , American Dream Meames1 Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 0 08-09-2021 11:46 AM
American Coach: 1999 American Tradition/ Spartan Chassis vetteandharl Fleetwood Owner's Forum 5 09-07-2020 04:28 PM
Is American Coach, American Eagle, and American Tradition the same company? CountryB Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 09-27-2017 07:30 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.