Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 15
2002 national tradewinds rv needs air bags

Our 2002 National Tradewinds RV, on a Spartan chassis, needs new air bags. We have been told by our big business diesel repair all 4 bags are dry rotted. The Rig has lived its entire life in the Nevada desert so I can understand this possibility.
Spartan Chassis has ordered the front bags but they can NOT find the rear air bags. They gave us a Firestone part # of W013588959
for the rear. (Spartan part # is 2077301). Spartan said Firestone made the air bags for the 2002 RV. Spartan suggested we try the RV forums for help and suggestions. Thank you in advance for any help.
Tillerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2022, 06:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 26,023
That's correct. Search this forum using the Google search box at the top of the page for many air spring threads. There's a wealth of knowledge that's been shared by members within those threads.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
BOOZE TRAVEL's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Madison, In.
Posts: 399
The shop should be able to look up the specs and find a suitable replacement. I had them do front bags last year and I scrounged up 2. I didn't find the rears but my shop said they can match them with another number that has a 1/2" different bump stop inside. I am having them do the rear this year and will go with what he comes up with as a close match.
I'm pretty sure I have never hit the stops besides when I dump the air and am not concerned with 1/2" either way.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's correct. Search this forum using the Google search box at the top of the page for many air spring threads. There's a wealth of knowledge that's been shared by members within those threads.
Ray, thank you. I will do that research for other threads. I was searching on air bags and you say air springs. I did find 1 at findthepart.com. They will check Monday to see if they can find another. I appreciate your response.
__________________
2002 National Tradewinds Diesel Pusher
Henderson Nevada
Tillerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOZE TRAVEL View Post
The shop should be able to look up the specs and find a suitable replacement. I had them do front bags last year and I scrounged up 2. I didn't find the rears but my shop said they can match them with another number that has a 1/2" different bump stop inside. I am having them do the rear this year and will go with what he comes up with as a close match.
I'm pretty sure I have never hit the stops besides when I dump the air and am not concerned with 1/2" either way.
Thank BOOZE TRAVEL. I will make a note of your info too. The big business caterpillar/diesel repair place said they couldn't find any at all, which is strange. So we are doing the leg work. Thanks for your help.
__________________
2002 National Tradewinds Diesel Pusher
Henderson Nevada
Tillerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 388
Find it Parts has x2 in stock now (cheaper on eBay from them) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/30451950806...YAAOSwxjhioHE~

EDIT: This appears to be way better pricing but I don't know if they have it in stock. https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...ducts_id=31299

Interchange (cross-reference) I'm seeing these part numbers: 352-8959, AB8959, 20773-01, 3040-W013588959, FI W01 358 8959, FSIW013588959, TWDW013588959, W013588959

Also I believe this attached picture is the spec/dimensions for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W013588959 - Specs.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	370681  
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjames50 View Post
Find it Parts has x2 in stock now (cheaper on eBay from them) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/30451950806...YAAOSwxjhioHE~

EDIT: This appears to be way better pricing but I don't know if they have it in stock. https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...ducts_id=31299

Interchange (cross-reference) I'm seeing these part numbers: 352-8959, AB8959, 20773-01, 3040-W013588959, FI W01 358 8959, FSIW013588959, TWDW013588959, W013588959

Also I believe this attached picture is the spec/dimensions for it.
Thank you for the specs and info. I contacted findthepart and they had 1 they said. SDtrucksprings reviews are awful. I very much appreciate the info and will checkout ebay. Findthepart had one on sale for $500, down from $777...should hear today if findthepart has a 2nd one. Thank you!
__________________
2002 National Tradewinds Diesel Pusher
Henderson Nevada
Tillerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman3 View Post
Thank you for the specs and info. I contacted findthepart and they had 1 they said. SDtrucksprings reviews are awful. I very much appreciate the info and will checkout ebay. Findthepart had one on sale for $500, down from $777...should hear today if findthepart has a 2nd one. Thank you!
You're welcome.

I did find one more cross reference for that air spring.

Continental
ContiTech Air Spring - 9 9K-12 P 100
68617 -or- AS68617

You can try contacting this company and see if they have any. I don't know if it comes with the angle plate mount but you can probably re-use the ones from your current air springs.

https://mpparts.com/part/continental...-p-100-as68617

Other than that you will have to either find something that has similar min/max heights and total diameter that you can mount even if you need to make some modifications to your current mounting plates.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nm_9_9K-12_P_100_d.png
Views:	3
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	370740   Click image for larger version

Name:	nm_9_9K-12_P_100_s22.png
Views:	3
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	370741  

gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Henderson Nevada
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjames50 View Post
You're welcome.

I did find one more cross reference for that air spring.

Continental
ContiTech Air Spring - 9 9K-12 P 100
68617 -or- AS68617

You can try contacting this company and see if they have any. I don't know if it comes with the angle plate mount but you can probably re-use the ones from your current air springs.

https://mpparts.com/part/continental...-p-100-as68617

Other than that you will have to either find something that has similar min/max heights and total diameter that you can mount even if you need to make some modifications to your current mounting plates.

Good luck!
Gjames50-thank you for the info. Finditparts.com had one, said they had 2nd spring so I ordered the 1st one and then learn they did not have the 2nd Firestone spring. Mgr has offered to take back the 1st order at no cost to me if I can't find another match. I will contact the company you listed. Do you know if both rear air bags would need to be the same brand? Your specs and info are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
__________________
2002 National Tradewinds Diesel Pusher
Henderson Nevada
Tillerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman3 View Post
Do you know if both rear air bags would need to be the same brand? Your specs and info are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I don't know if it needs to be the same brand but I would want it to be the same specifications for safety reasons. I personally would want the same brand.

If you found an air spring with similar dimensions that you could adapt your mounts to work with you would defiantly want the air springs to match.
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ags, air, air bags, national, wind



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need suspension air bags for 2002 National Tradewinds LE Tillerman3 National RV Owner's Forum 9 07-26-2022 07:50 AM
National :: 2017 National Tradewinds Tradewinds LTC 7374 Damion iRV2 Owners Registry 1 06-14-2021 08:36 PM
National Tradewinds 7370 :: 2000 National Tradewinds 7370 dspinella iRV2 Owners Registry 0 12-17-2020 10:06 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.