RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

2003 Winnebago Ultimate on Spartan Chassis

I've been checking on a bigger MH. I see a Ultimate Advantage on a Mountain Master GT chassis. After reading some of the problems I began to wonder. Do you suppose that by now the problems are fixed on one this old. I have not looked at it yet as it is several hundred miles from me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #2

The Ultimate was Winnebago's luxury MH line at the time, only select dealers were allow to sell them.

There were 484 Ultimates built between 1999 - 2004.5; the Ultimate Advantage and the Ultimate Freedom models, each with different lengths and floorplans, you may look for each here. The new sales brochures are still on the internet if you wish to look up details.
Spartan chassis was a $5,000 option, Freightliner was standard.
I think there are about 6 Ultimate owners on irv2.com, AFChap is perhaps the best known,he bought his new.
The only real concern was the grease boots on the IFS suspension rotting away. There is a fix for that if the ball joints are still good(pg 15), otherwise having the ball joints replaced run between $2,500-$3,000 last I heard.
I need more input. What problems are you referring to, new from factory, recalls, internet stuff???

I hope some of that is helpful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. This one is an Advantage, 40K. The main thing I've been seeing on these threads is he ball joints. All other problems are like any other coach, you just never know what comes up. Small ones I can do myself as I have spent my whole life repairing everything from lawn mowers to semi trucks and heavy equipment. I find the original brochures and check them out quite thoroughly. That's what I like about Winnebago. I presently have a 2000 Adventurer on a Workhorse chassis. After this nightmare I don't really want another.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #4

In the 13 years we owned our 2002 Ultimate Advantage, we encountered several show stopping issues. Mostly with the engine. And we fixed them, just like any good owner would do. Didn't have an issue with the ball joints.

You're asking if the owner(s) did their own due diligence and the only way to know that is to ask them....or see their maintenance records. Spartan was very supportive as were Cummins and Allison. To some extent even after the warranty was over.

If we were looking for another Ultimate, we would be asking about the lift pump, the fuel pump, exhaust headers, turbo, and ball joints. We would check the roof seams and for water leaks. But all these things are what you would ask about anyway on any coach that age.

Quality was top notch on the inside. And Winnebago was very supportive of us during those 13 years.

Just my .02 worth. If you find one in good shape and maintained you'll be very happy.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As Jim said, if you find one that has been well maintained, it would be a great coach to own. We have no regrets with ours with a bit over 130k miles now.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:53 PM   #6

Jim reminded me; the older Cummins ISC engine has a known exhaust manifold cracking problem. I had mine replaced 2 years ago, the new revised manifold is much heavier and beefer than the original. I paid around $3,000 total for the replacement and labor.

When you look at any MH with an ISC engine take along a long handled inspection mirror to check the manifold for cracks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Jim reminded me; the older Cummins ISC engine has a known exhaust manifold cracking problem. I had mine replaced 2 years ago, the new revised manifold is much heavier and beefer than the original. I paid around $3,000 total for the replacement and labor.

When you look at any MH with an ISC engine take along a long handled inspection mirror to check the manifold for cracks.
Thanks for the reply. I have seen that they use the 8.3 Cummins. That is a bit of a concern for me. I worked for 31 years at a tractor/combine salvage yard and saw many 8.3s blown up. In the combines they usually ended up burning the combine from the hot oil. Of course there are millions of them still running.
My son is a truck diesel mechanic so that would help with the labor.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that they use the 8.3 Cummins. That is a bit of a concern for me. I worked for 31 years at a tractor/combine salvage yard and saw many 8.3s blown up. In the combines they usually ended up burning the combine from the hot oil. Of course there are millions of them still running.
My son is a truck diesel mechanic so that would help with the labor.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #9

Heck, if I had in house labor and the right setup, wouldn't be an issue for me. The headers and lift pump and turbo are relatively easy given the access.

My only concern would be that fuel pump......that's not cheap even without labor.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #10

There are several threads about the ISC lift pump, reading them will say more that I can relay.
Usually the entire high pressure/injector pump does not fail, the 12V fuel distributor module fails because the lift pump gasket fails, allowing the high pressure pump to suck air.
It's all in the aforementioned threads.
That said, IMO the Cummins ISC is the most dependable diesel motor on the road today.
The service manage of Cummins Great Plains told me MH's have more engine problems than trucks because they are not used daily.

Tags
spartan, winnebago, chassis