Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 10:51 PM   #1

2005 MM Factory Muffler - Magnaflow?

I'll repeat my rig info here, since my sig seems to not display as I wish. 2005 Newmar Dutch Star with an ISL 370, bought a few months ago. As I spend more time underneath the coach, it dawns on me I may have an aftermarket muffler. Here in Vegas, mufflers don't go bad. Ever. If this is not factory, it's probably an intended performance-enhancer from a PO. The hanging and clamping are well-done to the point I could be convinced the muffler was there the day the chassis rolled of the Spartan line. It's a Magnaflow 30" about 8" in diameter with a 5" throughput. The tailpipe runs straight back and then turns 90 degrees to discharge toward the curb.

I've never heard the exhaust noise from outside while it's on the road, but at idle and parking/maneuvering speeds I've stood behind it and thought it was a bit louder than one might expect from stock. From the driver's seat, noise is virtually non-existent.

Thoughts on this muffler?
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I would leave it. Our 1st MH was a 2005 DS model 4015 with the Banks Stinger kit that included the same muffler, headers, dual exhaust, etc. Sounded very nice and ran very smooth. Other more important things will eventually flare up to occupy your time.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #3

You just described my muffler installation, except my outlet is below rear cap. Yes the straight-thru muffler is louder than new MH's. One time a friend was following me by 200' up a steep grade, he said he could hear my exhaust over his MH noise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #4

I have no intention of getting rid of this muffler. Something is right about how this coach runs. Only two short trips so far, toadless. 9.5 mpg @ 30,500 lbs. Soon to do a coast to coast journey with 5500 lb. toad. That will be the reality check. I know that despite what some aftermarket vendors claim, a muffler cannot perform magic. Any performance enhancement from the Magnaflow is likely to be measured on a dyno, not by seat of the pants or via calculated mpg. Nonetheless, I'm not going to mess with a set-up that simply works for me. Some of my campground neighbors might think otherwise.

This week I idled and ran up the ISL quite a bit for an oil change and pneumatic needs as we work on the air suspension. My at-home next door neighbor told me "that engine sure sounds nice," so I haven't alienated him yet.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Pictures??
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #6

Photos

Pics? Sure. But It's nothing very exciting. It's mundane installation; one that I think you'll see understand the reasoning for my question about the Magnaflow possibly being stock. Nobody really offered an opinion to that, but I'm concluding it was a PO mod.

Sorry, but it looks like the undercarriage pics are upside-down. I am feeling too old and lazy to climb below for photos and I also don't have the patience to flip the images - it's just what my iPhone decided to do. If only I could flip the coach for chassis service, without leaking fluids or damaging the structure. Hopefully you get the idea with these disoriented pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6286.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	329877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6282.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	329878  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6283.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	329879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6279.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	329880  

Old 05-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
Pics? Sure. But It's nothing very exciting. It's mundane installation; one that I think you'll see understand the reasoning for my question about the Magnaflow possibly being stock. Nobody really offered an opinion to that, but I'm concluding it was a PO mod.

Sorry, but it looks like the undercarriage pics are upside-down. I am feeling too old and lazy to climb below for photos and I also don't have the patience to flip the images - it's just what my iPhone decided to do. If only I could flip the coach for chassis service, without leaking fluids or damaging the structure. Hopefully you get the idea with these disoriented pics!

It does look factory. I just replaced mine back to factory after I crushed the aero turbine muffler. Much quiet. I guess my ears have outgrown the noise.
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
I'll repeat my rig info here, since my sig seems to not display as I wish. 2005 Newmar Dutch Star with an ISL 370, bought a few months ago. As I spend more time underneath the coach, it dawns on me I may have an aftermarket muffler. Here in Vegas, mufflers don't go bad. Ever. If this is not factory, it's probably an intended performance-enhancer from a PO. The hanging and clamping are well-done to the point I could be convinced the muffler was there the day the chassis rolled of the Spartan line. It's a Magnaflow 30" about 8" in diameter with a 5" throughput. The tailpipe runs straight back and then turns 90 degrees to discharge toward the curb.

I've never heard the exhaust noise from outside while it's on the road, but at idle and parking/maneuvering speeds I've stood behind it and thought it was a bit louder than one might expect from stock. From the driver's seat, noise is virtually non-existent.

Thoughts on this muffler?
BOUGHT MY 03 DS 11 YEARS AGO AND FIRST THING WAS 5in STRAIGHT PIPE WITH A 5 IN. STAINLESS TIP. NO BACK PRESSURE EXCEPT FOR THE EXHAUST BRAKE WHICH MEANS I CAN SCAVENGE MORE HOT BURNED AIR OUT AND PACK MORE COOL AIR IN LOWERING EGT.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wally View Post
BOUGHT MY 03 DS 11 YEARS AGO AND FIRST THING WAS 5in STRAIGHT PIPE WITH A 5 IN. STAINLESS TIP. NO BACK PRESSURE EXCEPT FOR THE EXHAUST BRAKE WHICH MEANS I CAN SCAVENGE MORE HOT BURNED AIR OUT AND PACK MORE COOL AIR IN LOWERING EGT.
How loud is that? Did you notice a measurable difference in EGT/MPG/HP?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
how loud is that? Did you notice a measurable difference in egt/mpg/hp?
a little loud they know i am coming yes,yes and yes.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Anyone have the Spartan 35' pusher chassis circa 1986-1992?

Mine has the alison 542 and detroit 8.2T diesel but it may have been avail with ford 460 or cummins 5.9 diesel.
dulobast25 is offline   Reply With Quote