Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2005 Spartan K2 Chassis Rear Air Tank Pressure Drop

While driving home this morning from a weekend trip, the red light on the dash gauge for the rear air tank and the alarm came on at which time I noticed that the air pressure in that tank had dropped from the usual 120+ psi to 65. The brakes worked fine, so I continued my drive home of about 55 miles, but the rear tank pressure remained at 65 as did the red light and the loud alarm. I checked the brakes frequently to make sure there was no diminished function, which again, seemed to work fine as usual. The front air tank maintained the usual 120+ psi with no issue. I think there is a valve which regulates the air pressure in each tank. I am thinking that the valve malfunctioned, but there could be other causes for the air pressure drop in the rear tank and I am hoping for some helpful input as to what the problem could be. To be honest, I have to admit that I have not bled the tanks or changed the air dryer filter in several years. Many thanks to all.
Hyatt Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #2

You have a leak, more likely in the ride height system or some other accessory.

They have pressure protection valves that stop the flow at about 60 psi, saving it for the brakes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #3

Leak or bad pressure sensor-- you need to diagnose before driving any more!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #4

Did the coach settle as if you'd dumped to level as soon as the engine was shut off ?

You need to talk to Spartan Motorhome Support and get air system diagrams for your coach, have your chassis serial number handy when you call .
Make sure you get the whole air system ; brakes and suspension ; two separate sheets of diagrams in the 2001 info I have .
The diagrams will also show if your tanks are equipped with auto ejectors instead of manual lanyards for water drain.

1-800-543-4277
Old 08-12-2022, 06:55 PM   #5

Just in case these pdf's are of any help at all I'll post them here .

Please note the issue dates, as newer chassis might have entirely different ; BUT: if the brake system diagram you received is similar the suspension diagram may be of some use .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spartan Chassis Air System elec gauges.pdf (222.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: pdf Spartan Chassis suspension Air System.pdf (159.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
By the way, the coach did not settle as though I had dumped to level when the engine was shut off. I did not drop the jacks. The unit remained and has remained at ride height.
Hyatt Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyatt Roadie View Post
By the way, the coach did not settle as though I had dumped to level when the engine was shut off. I did not drop the jacks. The unit remained and has remained at ride height.
Thanks for the additional info , as mentioned by Brett , your issue is beginning to look more like a pressure sensor problem than a leak .
Old 08-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Just in case these pdf's are of any help at all I'll post them here .

Please note the issue dates, as newer chassis might have entirely different ; BUT: if the brake system diagram you received is similar the suspension diagram may be of some use .
Skip, a side note to the spartan air system diagram. The rear ping tank is in front of the rear axle on my chassis. It does not have a manual-cable drain valve; instead it has a radiator petcock drain. When I bought this MH I found the unlabeled drain that is not anywhere in the manuals, slightly opened it and drained out perhaps a teacup of water.
That was cause for me to rebuild the air dryer, I'd already pulled the #1 and #2 tank drains and got no water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, chassis, pressure, rear, spartan, tank