Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

2008 K2 - Ground Lugs

I am having some strange electrical problems. I have been thinking that it might be a ground problem. The most recient problem is that my SeeLevel II system is getting false reading. According to SeeLevel Tech Support, it is a ground problem.

I cleaned up the connections that I could find in the front of the coach/frame but that did not help. I check the battery connections and they are all good.

There looks to be 3 heavy cables that run from the house batteries towards the center of the frame and another heavy cable running from the engine batteries. I would like to check these connections but I am not sure where the connections to the frame and engine are. I am a fat guy so crawling around under the coach which is parked on crushed sea shells is not my idea of fun.

Does anyone know for sure where the frame and engine ground connections are?

Thanks
-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
It seems that the ground cable attachment varies from Coach mfg.
You should have one from chassis batteries to chassis frame, from engine to chassis frame.
Take a pair of jumper cables hook up ground only at batteries, and the other to the engine and try it.
This adds a "ground" temporary to check
As far as house batteries, you can try same thing with jumper cables at seelevel.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

I went to the auto parts store and bought a couple of ground cables. I'll run them from the batteries to the chassis. If the ground connection is the problem, that should eliminate the problem.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
Old 11-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #4

I did an ohm reading from the house battery negative to the chassis and had about 90 ohms. I installed the new ground cable and that brought it down to 15 ohms. I am reading directly next to where I drilled the hole to the negative post. I expected to see 0 ohms.

I did the same resistance check at the engine batteries and the reading was fluctuating between 5 and 7 ohms. I added the new ground and it dropped down to 3 to 4 ohms.

This has me wondering if I have some other problem in the coach.... may the inverter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
John
Old 11-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #5

John, If you are still checking this, did you find where the original grounds are connected to the chassis?

Thanks
Kevin-Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #6

FWIW, over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote