Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #1

2021 Spartan vs Freightliner

Can anyone give me advice as to the 2021 Spartan chassis vs Freightliner .
We are purchasing a Newmar New Aire The Spartan seems much more complicated to use and I an concerned with the availability of Spartan Service
sfarkasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We shifted from a Newmar gasser to an Entegra Cornerstone on the K3 chassis. It is our first DP and I did not find anything about the Spartan to be complicated. I needed to be familiarized for how the systems worked, especially those that the gasser didn't have, but it was a pretty easy transition.

In daily operation, it is very intuitive and we have had no issues.

We keep our coach in Rural NC, Spartan issued a recall on the steering. We are looking at a Cummins shop about 85 miles away, but there were other options as well. I would guess FL will get a nod on service availability given their size and coverage, but we are not left to the wolves.

Where is your homeport? if you are close to Gaffney SC then the FL may make even more sense. If you are close to Charlotte MI, then Spartan may be your choice.

I'd guess most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference once underway. I'd go with your gut, either chassis is going to give you good service.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

Regarding service, from everything I've read here, the Freightliners have many more options for service. I have a Spartan chassis but I was buying used and this had the price and floor plan we were looking for. I like the layout of the Spartan equipment a little better than the same year freightliner, and the chassis seems to have a little heavier construction but that was from 20 years ago. Many claim that the differences are fewer now. Hands down, service options are far more abundant with FL.
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:50 PM   #4

The Spartan chassis is more expensive for a reason. Freightliner now makes a side-radiator chassis too. I would not pass up what I wanted due to chassis brand.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarkasmd View Post
Can anyone give me advice as to the 2021 Spartan chassis vs Freightliner .

We are purchasing a Newmar New Aire The Spartan seems much more complicated to use and I an concerned with the availability of Spartan Service

How could one chassis be more complicated than another?
Old 05-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
How could one chassis be more complicated than another?

I think I saw one of them (don’t remember which) moved the transmission selector and some other controls to a stalk near the steering wheel.....

Before I drove mine, I was a little intimidated by all the switches and controls in the cockpit, but now I really like the controls spread out....I would not like having to fumble with a stalk by touch only for critical functions.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I think I saw one of them (don’t remember which) moved the transmission selector and some other controls to a stalk near the steering wheel.....
That 'stalk" is installed by the MH/coach mfgr. not chassis mfgr., and is specified by the design engineers for the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That 'stalk" is installed by the MH/coach mfgr. not chassis mfgr., and is specified by the design engineers for the MH.
From the FCCC website....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1C8F1A6-1E71-4049-8288-E64C3D1D01C2.png
Views:	56
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	329068  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan