Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Air Ride Leveling linkage

Just thought I'd post this here for anyone with the same issue in the future.

When preparing to return home from our destination I noticed that the drivers side of the Motorhome was really low on ride height - so low I wouldn't have been able to steer due to the tire rubbing in the wheel well. All 3 other air bags aired up fine.

Upon closer inspection I noticed one of the leveling linkage rubber bushings was broken near the top, see attached picture. These leveling links attach to the ride height control valve at one end and to the bottom of the axle at the other end. As the coach rolls back and forth while driving or if you're loaded unequally these arms push/pull the height control valve to either increase or release pressure in an attempt to level the coach. If the leveling linkage is broken the ride height control valve stays neutral which means no air in or out at all.

I used a small bungee cord to re-attach the two halves back together just so I could get it home. The next day I was able to get the Haldex universal replacement universal linkages from a local truck supply company PTS - total cost $12.00 each! On my chassis there are 3, one on each front air bag and one in the center of the rear axle controlling both air bags (yours may be different). EASY to change, took all of 30 minutes to do. I measured the length of the original ones and cut the new ones the same.

So if your chassis has some age like ours does, I'd suggest looking into replacing these before they break or split - you cannot drive it at all if the air bag doesn't air up - likewise I wouldn't want to be driving along and have one break either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1845.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	4593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1846.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	4594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1847.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	4595   Click image for larger version

Name:	48100225.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	4596  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thank you for putting up that information. I am certain that the members to whom this might pertain will appreciate the effort!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #3

Air bag linkage

I read with interest about the issue you had with the air bag ride adjuster. You mentioned your 94 Newmar had two in the front and 1 in the middle of the back.

I have had problems with my rear ride adjustment linkage on my 98 Newmar Dutch Star.

Are all three of your rubber connectors the same? With the loop connector on the end as pictured in your thread? Mine broke today for the second time, however, I believe when it broke the previous time the repair shop may have put the wrong rubber linlage back on. It broke again today app. 4,000 miles later.

Any thoughts?

Lou
LSepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

Lou,

Wow.. they should last longer than that! Yes, all 3 of mine were identical in construction, same part number from Haldex and ended up being all the same length measuring from the center of both holes.

The only thing I can think of is that after the stud bolt was tightened up it's perhaps pinching on the rubber bushing? On the broken end can you move the broken rubber piece all the way around the axis of the stud bolt? The stud bolt has a shoulder on it where the rubber rides and is wide enough so that when tightened all the way up you're tightening up against the shoulder, and not the rubber bushing. Check those clearances out.. in fact make sure they used shoulder bolt instead of a regular bolt. Not being free to rotate around the bolt axis would cause it to break rather quickly.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #5

Ride height linkage

Thanks for your reply. I will examine the connection. As I recall from what I saw yesterday when attempting a temporary repair/duct tape, I didn't see any nut to tighten or loosen. The linkage sliped over a stud on the frame. But I'll look again.

Can you tell me where you were able to source the linkage? I tried on line searching for Haldex suppliers but had no luck. Also, do you have a part number?

Thanks again

Lou
Old 08-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #6

part number

Never mind about the part number. Duh, you had a picture of the parts as well as the part number in your original post.

Thanks, Lou