Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #1

Airing down while parked

When my MH is parked and the air suspension deflates the body on the rear sits on the tire side walls,if the front tires are not perfectly straight forward it would sit on them also,my question is ,there must be some system out there that doesn't let the body come down so far that it sits on the chassis,if traveling down the road and you suddenly lose air pressure in the suspension you are dead on the roadside, I have visions of ruining a few very expensive tires

RossB
04,dso4, 400hp
RossB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 AM   #2

What size are your tires? Have they been up sized from original?
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #3

No they are the original size 295/80r/22.5
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #4

My fronts have to ge straight also to prevent tire contact. But rears don't touch. You sire tires are original? Mine 2003 Dutch Star, came with 275/70R 22.5.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some of us use what is called Jacks to hold weight off the tires when dumping the air bags.

If you would suddenly lose pressure going down the road. More then likely the rear air brakes springs would come on. And then you use your ERS to tow you to a repair shop.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Sounds like the tires are oversized. How accurate is the speedometer?

I have 225/80's. I.always thought my fronts would hit fiberglass if they were turned when aired down, but they don't. They do rub a metal body structural piece (has happened a few times when hittting a bad heave on a highway) just enough to make it shiny. The rears get very close but do not touch fiberglass. Last summer we lost rear air on I-20 when the bracket for ride height valve broke. It happened slowly. I had a new driver in the seat after refueling in Pearl MS and was riding shotgun. I thought I was hearing an occasional rumbling noise to the rear that I could not identify. At highway speed there was no other indication.Eventually the noise was frequent enough I knew something was not right. As we exited I-20 in Meridian MS, at slower speed I knew the rear air was flat. There did not seem to be any other problem. We had already run apx 80 mmiles since I first heard the noise, so in heavy traffic we continued a few blocks to an rv park, and road service found a mobile tech the next day who removed and welded the bracket. It has run 3k-4k miles since with no problems.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

I am not sure that there are RV's that are designed to run down the highway on a deflated air system. Why are you worried about it?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #8

Question

Why am I worried about it, have you ever been stuck on the side of the freeway and can't move and can't get help, well that's why I worry about it.The tires don't come in contact with the fiberglass ,it hits the steel frame that the body sits on and if I drove it like that it would surely ruin my outside duels .My Travel Supreme doesn't have no clearance ,I have the mountain master from sparten. Any more Travel Supreme owners have this problem ?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #9

This says the Fleetwood Expedition 38S, which is the closest I have found (using your few details) to your MH, comes with 275/70R22.5 tires. To my limited knowledge, Spartan MM chassis come with that tire size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #10

I apologize to everyone,I bought a different MH and didn't change my profile, my newer mh is a 2004 40ft travel supreme so again I apologize for my incomplete info
Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
275/70R22.5 tires. To my limited knowledge, Spartan MM chassis come with that tire size.
My Spartan MM came w/225/80R22. 'Course Winnebago put their frame rails between the front & rear sections so they could have ordered or done other mods too.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossB View Post
I apologize to everyone,I bought a different MH and didn't change my profile, my newer mh is a 2004 40ft travel supreme so again I apologize for my incomplete info
This is the closest I found to a 2004, a 2006 Travel Supreme on Spartan MM chassis, with 275/80R22.5 tires; and a 2005 Travel Supreme on Spartan MM chassis with 275/80R22.5 tires.
I doubt that would make much difference, there's 1.1" diameter difference, and 20MM width difference. So that eliminated tire size as a cause.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Have you spoken to Spartan about it? They are the experts.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:56 AM   #14

I am heading to Precision Paint this weekend to have some windshield issues looked after so I will be asking Paul if he has any answers, I understand he is the Mr Whoopy of Travel supreme he might have a 3DBB