Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #1

Ball joint issue on a 2005 Mountain Master chassis / Newmar Mountain Are 43' ?

I'm looking at a 2005 Newell 43' Tag axle coach sitting on a Mountain Master chassis. Mileage is in the 50's. I've read a bit about ball joint issues on some Spartan chassis'. Does this chassis have that ball joint issue? Is this year and or mileage vulnerable?
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm looking at a 2005 Newell 43' Tag axle coach sitting on a Mountain Master chassis. Mileage is in the 50's. I've read a bit about ball joint issues on some Spartan chassis'. Does this chassis have that ball joint issue? Is this year and or mileage vulnerable?
Why do you keep referring to a Newell coach when you mean a Newmar? I can't answer your question but I've seen several posts that you've done this. They are completely different animals and price ranges.
Donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno View Post
Why do you keep referring to a Newell coach when you mean a Newmar? I can't answer your question but I've seen several posts that you've done this. They are completely different animals and price ranges.
Darned if I know - mental block I guess. Sorry!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
If the coach has independent front suspension, Reyco-Granning, then yes the ball joints can be an issue.

Actually it's not the joints, as much it's the rubber boots around them. Over time the boots deteriorate, come apart and are gone. The now unprotected joints fail in fairly short order.

There's no grease fitting to service. So more than likely, they need replacement.

Even the replacement joints Don't have grease fitting, but many here have drilled and added them.

If you can safely crawl under coach with wheels turned sharp you'll be able to see the boots, or maybe not.

There's pricing from 1500 to 4000 to replace them, but I replaced mine myself for 1500 all parts.

I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in the coach, they ride great!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #5

Exactly what Mackwrench said. They ride great. And in the scheme of things $3000 isn’t much to spend if you love everything else about the coach.
Find a good honest shop and have the new ball joints modified to accept grease fittings when they are replaced.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #6

This pdf will explain how to test the Reyco-Granning IFS; https://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/l...5375561250.pdf
I doubt that MH has defective ball joints, even with torn boots, at that low mileage. I was advised to spray the joints with silicone every few thousand miles when the covers are torn. I plan to add zerk fittings when I get a chance.
I tried wrapping the torn boots with stretch-wrap, then adding grease; didn't work out well.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This pdf will explain how to test the Reyco-Granning IFS; https://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/l...5375561250.pdf
I doubt that MH has defective ball joints, even with torn boots, at that low mileage. I was advised to spray the joints with silicone every few thousand miles when the covers are torn. I plan to add zerk fittings when I get a chance.
I tried wrapping the torn boots with stretch-wrap, then adding grease; didn't work out well.

Ray, try some Boeshield T-9 as a replacement for the silicone. This is a Boeing developed lubricant and corrosion protection product that wicks in an amazing fashion.

Our boots were gone at 47K and 10 years old when we bought the unit. Now 11 years later and 108K miles the ball joints are good and are kept clean by drenching them with the Boeshield before each trip.

No noise whatsoever due to the regular use of the T-9.

Discovered this product during my salt water boating days....available on Amazon or any marine store.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Ray, try some Boeshield T-9 as a replacement for the silicone. This is a Boeing developed lubricant and corrosion protection product that wicks in an amazing fashion.

Our boots were gone at 47K and 10 years old when we bought the unit. Now 11 years later and 108K miles the ball joints are good and are kept clean by drenching them with the Boeshield before each trip.

No noise whatsoever due to the regular use of the T-9.

Discovered this product during my salt water boating days....available on Amazon or any marine store.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #9

Spartan Recall

I have a 2004 Mountainaire and there was a Spartan recall on the front suspension. You will need to check with Spartan to see if yours was included.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #10

My 2005 Mountain Aire 4304 has a Reyco Granning IFS 1460S2 independent front suspension system. In looking at it, it doesn't appear to have any ball joints at all! It's a kingpin based IFS system. The only thing I can see on this suspension system that would be booted ball joint type joints would be the steering tie rod ends.

Am I missing something here guys? Do I have an oddball or bad suspension system on my coach?
Old 04-11-2020, 06:21 AM   #11

Sounds like the boots are gone....
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
My 2005 Mountain Aire 4304 has a Reyco Granning IFS 1460S2 independent front suspension system. In looking at it, it doesn't appear to have any ball joints at all! It's a kingpin based IFS system. The only thing I can see on this suspension system that would be booted ball joint type joints would be the steering tie rod ends.

Am I missing something here guys? Do I have an oddball or bad suspension system on my coach?

You are correct, the 1460S2 suspension does not use ball joints. Although, it's not king pins either. They use an upright that has bushings at either end that bolts to the control arms.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
You are correct, the 1460S2 suspension does not use ball joints. Although, it's not king pins either. They use an upright that has bushings at either end that bolts to the control arms.
How does the suspension I have compare in ride quality and build quality to the ball joint suspension that everyone talks about?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
How does the suspension I have compare in ride quality and build quality to the ball joint suspension that everyone talks about?
Doubt you would notice the difference ...other than not having to replace/deal with the ball joints! I notice you said it is a 43' tag axle coach so I would guess that front suspension has a slightly higher load rating … perhaps 14-15k rather than 12k.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis