Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2022, 08:09 AM   #1

Best shocks for the$

I think we need new shocks, any opinion on best shocks for there performance and price. They are for 2002 spartan mm chassis. Thanks Woody
dawoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

I bought Bilstein shocks from shockwarehouse.com, i'm quite happy with their performance since purchase 5 years ago. They also sell Koni shocks for our chassis, although at a higher price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:19 PM   #3

How do you remove the front shock? I think the lower bolt will hit the bar...
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #4

Yep, you're right it does. The tie rod end must be removed. Spartan sells a modification kit with a bolt N nut to replace that nut N long stud.
I didn't find that out until I already had new shocks installed.
If you are careful when removing the tie-rod end and replacing, you don't need a new wheel alignment.
Spartan recommends using a puller to remove the rod end, but mackwrench here says he used a hammer judiciously to knock it out. Hopefully he'll be along to fully explain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Only need to drop one end of tie-rod to gain access to lower shock bolt.
Don't hit the tie-rod, loosen the nut, hit hard and with as big a hammer you can swing, on the spindle area where the rod end is .. hopefully it'll shock it loose.
As long as you don't loosen the big but on the rod end, no wheel alignment will be affected.

If you have to you can use a pickle fork tool, but it'll risk damage to the tie-rod boot.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:30 AM   #6

Replaced Bilstein with Koni. Difference between night and day! Spend the money and buy the Koni's.
centurion95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:31 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion95 View Post
Replaced Bilstein with Koni. Difference between night and day! Spend the money and buy the Koni's.

Agreed night and day difference!
AggrevatedRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #8

Most people that post here are replacing original shocks that are 10+ years old.

ANY new shock from ANY manufacturer will be better than a 10+ year old worn out original equipment shock.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would suggest staying away from Shockwarehouse.com. They sold me the wrong shocks, got a RMA number then refused to return my money. Check the BBB site on the number of complaints and check online complaints. Just a heads up.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you use a hammer to knock the tie-rod loose, back remove the cotter pin and back the nut off until it is even with the end of the threads. Then hit it with a big hammer. When you back the nut off even with the threads you normally won't mess up the threads. I have had to replace lots of tie-rod ends because of someone trying to replace them their selves and end up swelling the threads up trying to get the tie-rod end. Like the others said if you use a pickle fork to loosen the tie-rod end, it will tear the boot.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:40 PM   #11

Tie rod ends are tapered. Never hammer the threads of the tie rod end. Use two hammers, hit on opposite sides of the lever the tapered end of the tie rod is inserted and it will pop out pretty easily! Learned this method in auto shop circa early '70s!!
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #12

Here is a picture with a arrow pointing where to hit the steering arm to pop out the end.

Loosen the nut a bunch and hit in line with the arm. If you hit to the right or left of the arrow, some of the hit will be absorbed by the steering.

Been doing it that way on cars, light and heavy trucks since the early 70s. Bigger the joint, the bigger the hammer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221215-170947_Chrome.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	382740

Sent from my SM-A025V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Here is a picture with a arrow pointing where to hit the steering arm to pop out the end.

Loosen the nut a bunch and hit in line with the arm. If you hit to the right or left of the arrow, some of the hit will be absorbed by the steering.

Been doing it that way on cars, light and heavy trucks since the early 70s. Bigger the joint, the bigger the hammer.Attachment 382740

Sent from my SM-A025V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
It only took me about thirty years to figure out an air hammer works very well for this purpose…or the “BFH”, but the air hammer works better in tight areas and lessens the chance of a swing and a miss foul ball. Loosen the nut a few threads to protect the threads if the BFH goes wrong, but never ever strike the threads of the tie rod end.

PS, buy the Koni’s.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks