Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Big props to Spartan

Last week, I limped in to a Cummings facility with an engine light on and temp gauge pegged out at 240 degrees. My fan had come off it's shaft and broke apart. After Cummings spent a day and a half determining that my problem was not a Cummings issue, I got frustrated and got on the computer and found out that it was a chassis part and problem. Spartan customer service gave me the part number and advised they could overnight the fan to get me going again. About an hour later, Spartan call me and verified my vin number. They told me that my cooling system was under a recall. They didn't say when the recall was issued, but from what I can tell it was several years ago.

They flew a technician to Phoenix with parts and completely replace my whole cooling system. I'm not RV expert, but it looked like about a ten grand job going on back there.

All this happened in less than a week. Now better than new! Thanks Spartain!

By the way, I am no way affiliated with Spartan or anyone working there. They have been a glimmer of hope that there are still companies out there that take care of their customers.
Learn2Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thats cool..

Any luck on getting the TSB number of the recall? Would be nice to have..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #3

If it's a K2 chassis, they did mine April '09. Replaced entire assembly. No charge. Call Spartan with VIN and they will tell yuu about fan. They sent two service men to my house to do it.New bets,fan drive and gear box and fan. The new fan is black. The original was white.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The had several fan "fixes" for the K2 chassis. It started out as a belt issue and escalated. The last require "specially trained" techs to fix the fan. That is why they flew the techs in for the fix. Sorry you had to have a problem before the repairs were made.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #5

Technically, this was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) and not a recall. Regardless, GREAT service from Spartan. I'm just glad I wasn't out in the middle of the desert when it happened.
T
Learn2Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Spartan has always stepped up...I would not have another chassis! Too bad Newmar went to Freightliner on their Mountain Aire and lower product line.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #7

Doesn't suprise me. Spartan is great to take care of problems, even when they would not have to. I went to the factory to try to get to the bottom of an intermittent problem in my smartwheel. The first think they did was check the VIN and then let me know that they had put the latest recall of the fan problem on my coach while it was still new on the dealers lot. (Travel Supreme had gone broke and dealer went broke almost immediately after that and the coach went through 2 more dealer before I bought it "new" from an internet dealer that knew nothing of the history of the coach and had no paperwork on it except the MSO.) they then found and fixed my problem that 3 shops had worked on without lasting success in less than 3 hours, called me (we had unhooked the toad and were sightseeing) to let me know it was fixed and they found a couple of other things that were not yet a problem but potentially could be and had fixed them. Got back to Charlotte to find the coach outside, went in to settle up and the girl said "No charge, have a great day." I said, thanks to you I just have! Spartan is the tops in my book and I would have a hard time buying a MH built on any other chasis. just my opinion and experience.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

Glad Spartan came through for you, my fan clutch gave out at 9000 miles on my 07 Ventana Cummings/Spartan. Spartan confirmed the clutch was replaced in 2009 but the software upgrade wasn't done. Firmly told me I was out of warranty, however they would ship the part for $1201 within 20 days. Whh Hooo Frieghtliner store had one in stock for $800.00 and did the upgrade. Better mileage now that the fan isn't running all the time.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote