Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #1

Binding in front wheel

Experience a hum/rubbing noise in front passenger side wheel. Only seems to occur at slow speeds and sometimes feels like in in slowing the coach down. Almost like something is out of around - binds then releases. I'll most likely have to take it to a mechanic to repair but would like to have some clue as to what it might be.
Thanks

2003 Newmar Dutchstar Spartan Mountain Master chassis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

I suspect the brake shoes are rubbing. How long since the automatic slack adjusters and S-cams have been greased? Sounds like they may not be fully releasing. There is a zerk fitting on all 4 slack adjuster mechanisms. When greasing, there is a small weep-hole to allow excess grease to exit when they are full, so be careful not to over-grease them. I was so cautious it took me 3 small greasing and several miles of driving to get the adjusters and brakes to work properly without the LF brake popping and pulling.

To adjust the brakes, and the ABS system, build up air pressure then shut off engine, chock wheels, release parking brake, turn on key-do not start, depress parking brake hard. You'll hear 4(perhaps 6) thumps that adjust the ABS wheel sensors. This also adjusts the brake shoes.
That's the best my old memory has to offer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

They were just greased before I left for Florida from Ohio. Heard a "clunk" sound when I left the mechanic parking lot and noticed the noise but it seemed to go away, heard it again when I was in stop and go traffic close to my destination.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

Some mechanics do not know about the zerk fittings on the slack adjuster mechanisms. I had mine lubed & oil changed at Speedco, a national chain for HDT's. They totally missed them. Look at your zerk fittings, if they are dirty they were not lubed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #5

Here is a front S Cam and slack adjuster, the rear is similar.

I circled the slack adjuster that has a grease fitting. The slack adjuster can be dry and seize and your brakes won't self adjust but they won't stick and drag.

I also circled the grease fitting on the S cam shaft. The S cam fitting is often missed and can cause binding if dry.

I would get the wheel bearings and brakes checked by a good shop, driving it like that is a bit risky.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #6

I thought I sent the picture but I don't see it. Here is the picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2018-11-21-15-31-43.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	226787
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Here is a front S Cam and slack adjuster, the rear is similar.

I circled the slack adjuster that has a grease fitting. The slack adjuster can be dry and seize and your brakes won't self adjust but they won't stick and drag.

I also circled the grease fitting on the S cam shaft. The S cam fitting is often missed and can cause binding if dry.

I would get the wheel bearings and brakes checked by a good shop, driving it like that is a bit risky.
However the S-cam can stick from lack of lubrication and hold the shoes against the drum.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #8

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. I'll check it tomorrow.
I am fortunate to have time. We are in Florida for the winter and the RV wont be moving until late April unless we want it to.
Happy Thanksgiving
Old 03-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
However the S-cam can stick from lack of lubrication and hold the shoes against the drum.

This happened to me last summer. I had to replace both front drum brakes along with new slack adjusters. When they failed I was on the freeway and it felt like I had a warped wheel ... not fun to limp 70 miles to the closest HD truck repair shop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drums.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	239534  

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote