Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tracing Air Leaks

As I contemplate going after any air leaks on my bus, I wondered about hooking an air hose to the service port quick connect in the generator compartment.

It seems like I could keep the air pressure up in the system while snooping out the system.

I know that the tow trucks hook up to that port when getting ready to tow your bus and it releases the brakes and pumps up the air bags. (Personal experience!)

Any comments?
tubitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #30

We have used the air connector both front and rear to fill air system so we don't have to run the engine. After many hours myself, twice a local Spartan and 2 trips to Spartan factory and still having air leaks we found the air dryer was our problem and it wasn't till replacing the air dryer that our air leak was fixed.
One thing that Spartan factory did was after our biggest concern being the air bags leaking down over night they put one way valves on the ride height inlet ports which at least stop the coach from losing air bag pressure. Everything still worked when leveling the coach.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tracing Air Leaks

Thanks for the help!

I thought that would work - what I didn't know is that there is an air chuck at the rear of the unit. Can you tell me where to look for it?

Bill

2003 Newmar Dutch Star
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #32

tubitz
Not all rigs have an air port in both places.
My rig only has a "service" port up front near the air tanks.

Drew
2003 Travel Supreme 40DS02
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
I believe mine only has a front port in the compartment below the driver.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
After these were done I checked the time between cycles of the air compressor with the engine running and the suspension aired and nothing else being operated. The time between cycling of the compressor was probably almost doubled indicating there was a good improvement in my mind. It now probably takes three to four minutes between cycles of the air compressor.

On to the next items (and back to this when I get another Pressure Prot Valve from Spartan.)
Dale, are you saying your air compressor cycles on and off every 3-4 minutes?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wabco Air Dryer Leaks

I hooked up my air compressor to the service fitting at the front of the motorhome and started to search for leaks.

The most interesting one is at the air dryer. When the house air compressor cycles up to ~125# the purge valve on the bottom of the dryer blows air until the system air pressure is down to about 100#. I'm reading this on a gauge I installed in the line to the service fitting. There aren't any other leaks on the dryer (when I spray it down with snoop).

This seems to explain an issue I've noted with maintaining the pressure over 100# when I'm driving down the road.

Should I replace the air dryer or am I missing something? The only thing I'm not clear on is the function of the air dryer governor. I think it is a Bendix.

And, of course, the Wabco tag on the dryer is unreadable!

Bill
2003 Newmar Dutch Star
Spartan MM Chassis
Old 05-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubitz View Post
I hooked up my air compressor to the service fitting at the front of the motorhome and started to search for leaks.

The most interesting one is at the air dryer. When the house air compressor cycles up to ~125# the purge valve on the bottom of the dryer blows air until the system air pressure is down to about 100#. I'm reading this on a gauge I installed in the line to the service fitting. There aren't any other leaks on the dryer (when I spray it down with snoop).

This seems to explain an issue I've noted with maintaining the pressure over 100# when I'm driving down the road.

Should I replace the air dryer or am I missing something? The only thing I'm not clear on is the function of the air dryer governor. I think it is a Bendix.

And, of course, the Wabco tag on the dryer is unreadable!

Bill
2003 Newmar Dutch Star
Spartan MM Chassis
There should be a check valve after the air dryer and / or right at the wet tank. They install them to stop air loss if the dryer, or lines to and from it, get damaged.

Once the air dryer unloads ( blows off ), there should be no air pressure in it or the lines to it. That's how it drains out the moisture.

Follow the line to the tank and look there. They, sometimes, can be disassembled and cleaned.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There should be a check valve after the air dryer and / or right at the wet tank. They install them to stop air loss if the dryer, or lines to and from it, get damaged.

Once the air dryer unloads ( blows off ), there should be no air pressure in it or the lines to it. That's how it drains out the moisture.

Follow the line to the tank and look there. They, sometimes, can be disassembled and cleaned.

Thanks!

I'll check it out!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:09 AM   #38

tubitz

The Purge valve is rebuildable..
The Air Dryer is a 1200 series in most of our RV's. Call Spartan, they can tell you which Air Dryer you have. If you have the diagram I posted earlier in this thread, you'll see the part numbers for just about everything.
In your case from what you posted, I would look closely at the governor. I would bet that it needs to be reset. It's an easy thing to do. And yes the original governors were mostly Bendix. The new governors are (at least on my coach) actual Wabco parts. (see my diagram).
If you haven't got it, download the Meritor Wabco Maintenance Manual. Here is the link http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorW...ument/mm34.pdf
It has a lot of good information on function and maintenance procedures. Last, if you haven't changed it, you should change the Dessicant filter. Many times the filter is clogged and replacing it will solve a bunch of weird problems.

Here is the procedure I got from Spartan for setting the governor.

Drew
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Setting the Air System Governor.pdf (258.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Still Chasing it Down

Thanks for the feedback on my issue!

I talked to Spartan and they sent me the drawings of my air system.

I traced the line from the dryer to the wet tank and did not find a check valve. The drawing shows an internal check valve between the supply (wet) tank and tank #1. I don't believe there is any access to clean it.

Dale, I appreciate your drawing and the procedure to reset the governor. I will go after that next.

As far as the air dryer itself, if I buy the filter and the purge valve kit, I am almost to the cost to just replace the dryer.. No decision yet, just thinking!

I'll update the forum after my next dive under the bus!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Governor Reset

As I promised, I was under the bus again today and followed the procedure to reset the air system governor that Drew sent me. It was a straight forward procedure to run. I found out that my governor was set too low because when I backed the screw out two turns that is exactly where the procedure had me set it.

As I left the set point, the governor purges at about 130#, right where it should be. I did install a mechanical gauge to read the pressure at the service port. What I did discover is that the gauges on my dash are reading about 15 to 20 # low. That will be my next troubleshooting effort.

It looks like I don't need to replace the dryer itself but just need to get a new cartridge for it.

I've got a couple of random leaks to repair and I should be in pretty good shape. The only one that puzzles me is on dry tank #2. It is a square fitting about 2 inches square and about 1 1/2" thick with a small line coming out of it. It is leaking at a seam along the 2" face.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
Old 06-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #41

tubitz,

Don't bother looking for the problem with your gauges reading low. That happens with many of these gauges. Just remember it or put a P-Touch sticker on the dashboard as a reminder.

That square fitting with the small line coming out of it. That may be the Control Line that goes to the Master Air Valve up on the firewall. If so, it definitely needs to be fixed.

Get the New Dessicant Filter before you go Any further!!!! And after installing, check the governor setting again. It may change with a new filter. Also, in speaking with Spartan, 130 psi up to 150 psi is fine when setting the governor.

Drew
Old 06-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHatt45 View Post
tubitz,

Don't bother looking for the problem with your gauges reading low. That happens with many of these gauges. Just remember it or put a P-Touch sticker on the dashboard as a reminder.

That square fitting with the small line coming out of it. That may be the Control Line that goes to the Master Air Valve up on the firewall. If so, it definitely needs to be fixed.

Get the New Dessicant Filter before you go Any further!!!! And after installing, check the governor setting again. It may change with a new filter. Also, in speaking with Spartan, 130 psi up to 150 psi is fine when setting the governor.

Drew
Drew:

Have you had any issues using an after-market filter? I don't have a ready source for the Wabco filters up here in the boonies.

Bill

Tags
leak, leaks, suspension