Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
chassis a/c

Hi all, I am having problems diagnosing my chassis a/c. The compressor is not engaging, i've demonstrated that the compressor works but no clutch engagement. Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, i.e where is the a/c thermostat located, any fused links that i should look for (location)etc. I believe that the pressure switch is near the compressor, if i'm correct it checks out.

TIA for any and all help

My coach is a, 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire on a Spartan chassis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2022, 10:02 PM   #2

Several threads on the site on this - the Search box above will be your friend.

Chances are, your low on charge - but confirm all the electrical details before throwing a set of gauges on it.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

the a/c dryer should be mounted on the fire wall. That's where you hoses connect. There is a pressure switch with 2 wires on it. Get a fuse and connect the wires to fuse and see if the clutch will engage. If so, it's low on charge.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:20 AM   #4

I have to charge mine at least once a year or it loses pressure and compressor wont engage. Looked everywhere and cant find leak, I just resigned to adding as needed. Very cold air around 40deg when I put in a few cans and occasionally oil charge.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #5

JIC it's needed: Evans-Tempcon all-electric HVAC system service manual for motorhomes.
If that is not the brand of your system; I have manuals for other brands.
This one is not brand-specific: https://www.btrac.com/documents/svc-...i-feb-2011.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
JIC it's needed: Evans-Tempcon all-electric HVAC system service manual for motorhomes.
If that is not the brand of your system; I have manuals for other brands.
This one is not brand-specific: https://www.btrac.com/documents/svc-...i-feb-2011.pdf

Thanks Ray! Yep mine is Evans and I didn’t have this one.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found the pressure switch but I can't seem to locate the thermostat, any tips as to where it might be on an 05 Newmar Mountain aire
Old 10-13-2022, 06:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found the thermostat and it was fine, however on a second look at the pressure switch it seems to be done? I'll just check a couple of other options and then replace the switch if needed.
Thank you all for your help
Old 10-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #9

Which pressure switch did you find? Was it -

High side pressure switch (usually found on drier and is Normally Closed and opens on a rise in pressure.

Low side switch is found in the larger suction return line back to the compressor and is Normally Open held closed by suction pressure.

The low side switch is used to insure the compressor doesn’t run when the refrigerant charge is low which could cause the suction side pressure to fall into a vacuum which allows atmospheric contaminants to enter the the refrigerant system through the leak.

And FWIW -

The thermostat is a contact type of thermostat with a bulb inserted into the evaporator - and is cut-in/cut-out settings are to minimize ice buildup on the evaporator.

Tags
chassis