Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #1

Cooling Fan Breaks

The cooling fan on my 2009 Newmar on a Spartan chassis is hitting the shroud. The end of each blade has a piece broken the extends down about two inches.
I've posted this issue before and thought it was resolved but to my disappointment it has reoccurred. I replaced the fan and motor mounts in March of this year and after about 3000 miles this summer found the same issue. I will consider the Source Engineering fan but the cause of this problem still haunts me. I've contacted Spartan parts to make sure i'm installing correct fan (this is 3rd fan replacement in 5 years) i've talked to Spartan technicians and there is no recall and they have no other complaints about this. The fan clutch has no play as to indicate bearing issues. There is only about one half inch clearance between fan blades and shroud at the top of the shroud. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #2

I once had a problem with my engine torquing up due to heavy load put on the engine (read drag racing here) so much so that I ended up chaining the engine down so the torque couldn't stretch the motor mounts.
The chain/bolt combo was just tight enough to hold the engine down but not enough to defeat the vibration isolating properties of the rubber mounts.
You might give this a try. Nothing to lose but time and some inexpensive material.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #3

Possibly you have another issue that is "knocking out" the clutch fan bearings... if your motor mounts are worn out, broken or something else is causing your engine to shake or move excessively, it will create excessive strain on the clutch fan bearings. The high RPM blade wants to stay straight, while the engine movement is forcing it to shake.
Alternately if you have room, you can upgrade to electric fans, although conversion cost is a factor to consider. There may be others here with more technical experience that can help...
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #4

Get someone, who knows how, to power brake the RV while you watch the engine to see if it moves enough to contact the shroud.

See where it moves but don't get run over.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

radiator fan breaks

Thanks for the response to my problem. I've spent much time underneath and on top of my engine (next coach will be side radiator) seeking answers with nothing visible causing breaks. One question that has been suggested is it possible that the cooling fan is mounted backward. My fan is oriented in such a way as to pull air to the rear of the coach across the radiator. I know that some coaches push air into the engine compartment and i'm not sure on my Spartan chassis with rear radiator. Anyone who can help on this thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #6

Just a thought - if your radiator was ever replaced the shroud may have been reinstalled underneath the brackets as in the photo I provide below. The shroud sits on top of the brackets and adds clearance. We are in a 2010 Phaeton with a mountain master chassis and the technician attach the shroud incorrectly and created this issue for us after 200 miles – fortunately we noticed it right away and I give full credit to Massey’s Diesel for sending a technician out to our RV site to reinstall the shroud- Completely fixed the issue Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	307044
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	307045

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	307046

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	307047
azcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #7

Thanks Mr Cooper for your post. My shroud is a one piece that goes around the radiator housing so your suggestion is appreciated but not applicable in my situation. I've contacted Spartan and Horton who makes the fan with no success at this point. I have found that at some point my fan part number changed to a CCW roatation where it should be CW. The CCW is whats been breaking. The part number on the build sheet Spartan 2053-FF1-001 was designated CW the replacement part from Spartan, Horton #998711502 is CCW rotation. I'm scheduled to go into a Spartan certified shop so it's hoped that he has answers. Right now the only part that Spartan/Horton has is CCW. Im also talking to folks at Source Engineering for their input and possible replacement. I would be interested in communicating with someone who has a similar chassis to see what fan is in their coach. 2009 Newmar Ventana on Spartan. Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #8

Cooling Fan Breaks

Good luck - I believe we may well have the same shroud and was only suggesting that you check that you are the not the victim of what I understand is a fairly common reinstallation issue of the shroud after radiator repair in some shops.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1323.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	307340
azcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #9

cooling fan breaks

Yes sir you may be right. On closer examination i found that the top of the shroud is bolted under the radiator flange. I am not sure if that's the correct way or not as the build sheet is not very clear. Once again thanks and i will post more when the spartan technician has looked on Dec. 1. Thanks again
Old 10-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #10

cooling fan breaks

Farmertom, I was wondering if you or Spartan ever figured out what was breaking your fan. I am having the same issue and the fan is being replaced now for the third time that I am aware of. I was hoping you found a fix for it.
rpd37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:40 PM   #11

cooling fan breaks

First off I apologize for the delay in responding. We were traveling home and got caught up in the hassle of returning after being away for 4 months. Yes the Spartan technician locally (plug for Billy Thibodeaux Premier RV in Lafayette, LA) did a power run with brakes set and found the cross member underneath the rear motor mount was loose and this was allowing the engine to torque and thus move the entire motor into the shroud. Very simple repair once the diagnosis was done. Hope this helps and once again sorry for the delay.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #12

Cooling Fan Breaks

Great information, thanks. I am fairly certain that my motor is moving as well, either the motor mounts or the crossmember issue (thanks to your info). Mine started with a leak in the turbocharger system and I found it is leaking from the exhaust manifold gasket area. Since the turbocharger is hard mounted to the manifold and the intake system both, I think the engine movement caused the gasket to blow or the manifold to crack. While looking into that I found the fan blades cracked again. The prior owner had the fan replaced a few months before we purchased it last year for the same reason but his mechanic must not have checked if the motor was moving or not. It is scheduled to go in for repairs next month and I will make sure to tell them to do a power run and make sure it all gets fixed for good this time.

Thanks again.
rpd37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpd37 View Post
Great information, thanks. I am fairly certain that my motor is moving as well, either the motor mounts or the crossmember issue (thanks to your info). Mine started with a leak in the turbocharger system and I found it is leaking from the exhaust manifold gasket area. Since the turbocharger is hard mounted to the manifold and the intake system both, I think the engine movement caused the gasket to blow or the manifold to crack. While looking into that I found the fan blades cracked again. The prior owner had the fan replaced a few months before we purchased it last year for the same reason but his mechanic must not have checked if the motor was moving or not. It is scheduled to go in for repairs next month and I will make sure to tell them to do a power run and make sure it all gets fixed for good this time.

Thanks again.

If you have an ISC engine the manifold is a weak point in the exhaust system and is known for cracking. The "Improved" Cummins replacement exhaust manifold is much heaver than the OEM.
The reason for the cracking is the manifold supports the entire weight of the turbo and associated piping over the engine.

Been there, paid for that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180829_174551.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	347058  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fan