Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Dead '02 Cat, Spartan. Need advise

So, Cat 3126 with Allison. Dash trouble lights came on and engine shut down. Lights on shifter went off then no crank. Batteries are fine. Waited 30 min unhooked chassis ground for 30 sec and tyranny pad lights up and cat starts just fine. I drove a few more miles. Coach running perfectly then it died again. All guages are in range when running.
I feel like it has somthing to do with the Allison since when it won't crank or run the shifter lights are off. If they light up it starts right up and reives normal.
Currently I am 3 blocks from where we are parking for a few day waiting for it to reset again.
It is 95 deg today in Vevay In.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #2

Could be the IGNITION SOLENOID. The ignition key closes the contacts in the solenoid so that chassis battery power goes to everything that is hot when the ignition is on.

Easy tell tale-- does the dash HVAC fan also show the same symptoms? It is also powered through the ignition solenoid.

If that solenoid fails OR if the signal to it from the ignition switch fails, it is just like turning off the key.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

Don't know if Spartan used similar wiring on their Cat engine chassis as Freightliner did , but my chassis has inline fuses for the engine ECM so battery connections have to be checked and look closely around the chassis batteries for any sign of inline fuse holders .

I do have Spartan wiring info , but believe it's only for Cummins equipped chassis , but I'll look through it.

Look for two rear chassis fuse boxes like the ones in the yellow box in this photo and check for any fuses marked trans or engine ECM .
They'll be somewhere close to the engine.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
If it was a fuse I don't think it would restart. Hopefully we can get it the last 3 blocks. At that point I will have time to figure it out.
I feel like it is a Allison problem the more I ponder on it. I will be cleaning and greasing all of the electrical connectio s but I don't think that is the issue today.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Could be the IGNITION SOLENOID. The ignition key closes the contacts in the solenoid so that chassis battery power goes to everything that is hot when the ignition is on.

Easy tell tale-- does the dash HVAC fan also show the same symptoms? It is also powered through the ignition solenoid.

If that solenoid fails OR if the signal to it from the ignition switch fails, it is just like turning off the key.
Everything on the dash works including the ac
Old 08-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Last night I just decided to let it sit where it was until morning and went home about 30min away.
This morning the shift panel lights lit up and it started, so I drove to where we will be parked for the next few days.
I let it run on high idle for an hour to see if it would shut down and It ran fine.
I pulled up a 1350 code on the Allison using the shift pad. That basically says intermittent signal loss. Now when the Temps get under 90 I will start cleaning every connection and re greasing them.
I did read on here somewhere about a wire connector for the TCU somewhere close to where it feeds from the battery. If I find that I will replace it.
The worrisome part is driving it home. There is no route with much chance to get off of the road if it dies again.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Just to close this thread out.
I think it was corrosion in a 350amp breaker in the battery bay. When I started chasing the wire harness I found a 8ga wire going to a Bussman breaker that was between the battery and the TCU. It looked a little rough so I took it out, and it basically fell apart. I replaced it and then chased the harness from the TCU to the tranny and then to the control pad. I cleaned and greased every connection and then went on a 100mi, long way home drive and everything worked perfectly.
The moral of this story is that things in the battery bay are sometimes not in as good of condition as they appear.

Tags
cat, spartan