Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #1
aza

DEF head issue

I left on a long trip in my 2019 Anthem and received warnings regarding DEF head failure. I called Spartan who helpfully asked for photos of there error codes, which I provided. They told me that it appears that my DEF head unit is failing. They suggested that I return to a safe haven and park it until August or September when a new head unit "might" be available. Instead of a fantastic Entegra traveling machine I now have a several hundred thousand dollar useless coach. My wife and I planned a six week West USA tour this summer, now it looks like a "no-go". Even if the whole engine blew I don't think it would take that long to repair/replace. Is this happening to other Entegra/Spartan owners. Can someone suggest a fix? Is there a "black market" for DEF head units? Is there a work around? Computer fix?
aza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #2

Sounds like typical "Entegra/Spartan" care... :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #3

Might check out Spartan irv2 forum right now with more information. Not just Spartan DEF problem.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza View Post
I left on a long trip in my 2019 Anthem and received warnings regarding DEF head failure. I called Spartan who helpfully asked for photos of there error codes, which I provided. They told me that it appears that my DEF head unit is failing. They suggested that I return to a safe haven and park it until August or September when a new head unit "might" be available. Instead of a fantastic Entegra traveling machine I now have a several hundred thousand dollar useless coach. My wife and I planned a six week West USA tour this summer, now it looks like a "no-go". Even if the whole engine blew I don't think it would take that long to repair/replace. Is this happening to other Entegra/Spartan owners. Can someone suggest a fix? Is there a "black market" for DEF head units? Is there a work around? Computer fix?
Yes, quite a few of them.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:16 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It looks like Spartan is now completely out of DEF heads, none left for Emergency situations. Many of us have been through this, me twice on new coaches. I spent a lot of hours researching your questions for "work arounds". I found nothing that would work. I hope you will join others that have filed a complaint with the NHTSA in hopes that we can get government involvement to this madness. Sorry your trip was ruined and for so long. Link for filing: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/def...sa-518276.html

Might try Joyce and see if she can pull any magic, if nothing else let her know that customers are not pleased and word is getting out about Spartan Chassis. After the radiator fiasco and now DEF heads, it will probably be my last Spartan Chassis motor home.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:39 AM   #6

My last Spartan chassis Motorcoach,,, maybe my last Entegra.... The only fix I know of right now is if you can get your spartan chassis Motorcoach into a dealer and trade it in for a quality built product....
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:51 AM   #7

Well.... if it’s my last spartan chassis it would have to be my last Entegra 🥴....but, i’m not leaving yet I have a 2018 payed off.... But very frustrated
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone affected by the DEF head issue gotten any reimbursement from Spartan for cancellation fees or other loss of use?

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
Has anyone affected by the DEF head issue gotten any reimbursement from Spartan for cancellation fees or other loss of use?

- Richard
LOL !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #10
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is lots of info regarding DEF head failures here on irv2. Just use the search at the top of the page. From what I read, it seems to be common enough and there is a definite shortage of replacement heads. If you are brave, you might try this: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/def...re-540696.html
Old 06-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is lots of info regarding DEF head failures here on irv2. Just use the search at the top of the page. From what I read, it seems to be common enough and there is a definite shortage of replacement heads. If you are brave, you might try this: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/def...re-540696.html
Old 06-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #12

D20 has given you the rundown.

Short answer for you, no, you are not alone and the problem has increased dramatically in the past few months to a point where there are no replacement parts available, save for those who already are stranded with an engine shut-down. It is industry wide, not just Entegra, but seems to hit Spartan chassis more than others. No work arounds known. Once derate/shut-down hits, you're stuck.

Biggest uncertainty hits those in your situation where the codes are set but no de-rate or shut-down has yet happened, but you don't know when they will happen. Nor do the manufacturers. And they will happen. Cummins/Spartan/etc. have gotten to the point of giving the advice you received--park it and wait.

Sorry to say, you've just joined an ever-growing club of stranded and frustrated diesel owners.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #13

One thing I found interesting is when Brett gave us the total number of def head failures in 18 months over 5 nirvc locations of 64. I realize if you’re one of those 64 it’s a big deal. However statistically 64 isn’t very many or should I say way less then I would have guessed for how many coaches are out there.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D20 View Post
It's rather unlikely that the approach suggested in that thread is going to work. See my comments in this post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/def...ml#post5794083
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote