Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

Does anyone know where this controller is? Spartan Chassis

I have a previous post about headlights being on and not going off. Spartan says there is a controller behind the generator, on the firewall, that we need to unplug to reset a relay. Our generator is not on a slide so I'm under the MH trying to find this. He said it's silver and the size of a legal pad. I really don't think it's there but the guy I'm talking to really should not be in customer service and I want to be sure before I call him back. Just wondering is anyone could verify it's there and not somewhere else.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Many of the chassis wiring components are in the electrical compartment under the driver's position accessed from the front left compartment hatch. Also, if it only needs to be reset by removing a connector, wouldn't it reset if you disconnected the batteries?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

The unfortunate part of the problem is, that many of the chassis components are loose on the rolling chassis when the coach builder takes delivery and the actual location is only limited by the length of wiring that attaches the module to the main harness.
If you have a compartment , in front of the left front wheel under the drivers feet , it could be in there , hidden by a removable panel in the back of the compartment. Coach builder may have located it on the inside of the firewall too.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:44 AM   #4

We're going to call Spartan with VIN and just have him double check. He acted as if we were fools when we told him the generator didn't slide out. He said we needed to call Fleetwood because it was supposed to. How in the world would that help? And he was just wrong.
We are trying to reset something. Have to pull a fuse, disconnect this controller we can't find, disconnect the negative on the battery, wait 15 minutes and then reverse put everything back and hope the headlights go off.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
We're going to call Spartan with VIN and just have him double check. He acted as if we were fools when we told him the generator didn't slide out. He said we needed to call Fleetwood because it was supposed to. How in the world would that help? And he was just wrong.
We are trying to reset something. Have to pull a fuse, disconnect this controller we can't find, disconnect the negative on the battery, wait 15 minutes and then reverse put everything back and hope the headlights go off.
If the absence of power for a time resets the module, Disconnecting the battery, OR pulling the fuse OR unplugging the module is redundant. Any one of the above actions would reset it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you have a compartment , in front of the left front wheel under the drivers feet , it could be in there , hidden by a removable panel in the back of the compartment. Coach builder may have located it on the inside of the firewall too.
And that's where it was, only under the hood on the firewall but on the left side. Definitely not behind the generator where we were told and it is not silver or the size of a legal pad.

If you call Spartan customer service, try not to get Shane. He was rude and acted like WE were stupid even though everything he was told us ended up being wrong.

The procedure he gave us may be wrong too but we're going to try it in the morning. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
And that's where it was, only under the hood on the firewall but on the left side. Definitely not behind the generator where we were told and it is not silver or the size of a legal pad.

If you call Spartan customer service, try not to get Shane. He was rude and acted like WE were stupid even though everything he was told us ended up being wrong.

The procedure he gave us may be wrong too but we're going to try it in the morning. Fingers crossed.
Don't come down on Spartan. They built the chassis but had nothing to do with placement of fuse panels, relays etc. That, was done by Fleetwood.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

I'm certainly not coming down on Spartan. We've had many pleasant interactions with them and they generally are very helpful. Initially, we chalked it up to maybe he was having a bad day. Since we've had to call several times, I suppose it could be he's having a bad week . That happens to us all, but I don't think I've ever let it interfere with how I treat people at work. If you have to say the words anyway, what does it hurt to do it politely, as opposed to being a smarty pants? Maybe that's just his personality and he doesn't mean to sound that way. Who knows. I just know we hope we don't have to call back.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

If you do have to talk with Spartan again , see if they will send you wiring diagrams and schematics for your chassis .

The wiring diagrams I got from F/L , give the dimensions of the wiring harness and the distance from the main harness to the module plug in connector .
Once you establish a known spot on the main harness, and where the module wiring exits the main , the length of the wire, to the module, will help determine the possible module location (s).

The schematic will tell exactly what circuit every wire that attaches to any module in the coach is for , by showing it's origin.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you do have to talk with Spartan again , see if they will send you wiring diagrams and schematics for your chassis .

The wiring diagrams I got from F/L , give the dimensions of the wiring harness and the distance from the main harness to the module plug in connector .

Once you establish a known spot on the main harness, and where the module wiring exits the main , the length of the wire, to the module, will help determine the possible module location (s).

The schematic will tell exactly what circuit every wire that attaches to any module in the coach is for , by showing it's origin.

Good point, Spartan drawings (ones I've received anyway) show Rear, Mid & Front. Of course they have no control over the exact location on each coach but by giving the 3 locations it's easy to determine where to start.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

Well it turns out the module was bad. A trip to Hammond LA Spartan Center in the rain that turned out to be the Big Flood and $2000 and we're back in business.

Tags
chassis, spartan