Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #1

Draining Air Tanks

I printed a very good article on the procedure for draining the air tanks on a Spartan chassis that read drain Silver lanyard first, red next and green last I believe. Don't have it here at the house so may have sequence mixed up. All I can find is 2 black lanyards in the wheel well of the passenger side. Can anyone provide any help with locating these drain lanyards? 2020 Newmar Ventana. If all I have are 2 lanyards does the sequence matter? One seems to be a little longer than the other. Thanks.
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Spartan DOT system isolation test (draining air tanks)

From the Spartan chassis service seminar:
Test Procedure:
  1. With engine off, make sure both air gauges read 70 PSI or less. If they read higher, pump the brake pedal until the air pressure gauges read 70 PSI or less.
  2. Start the engine and run at high idle (1,200 RPM or higher) until the Air Drier purges in the rear of the vehicle.
  3. Turn the engine OFF, but leave the ignition switch ON so that the gauges are powered up and reading the air pressure.
In the following steps, pull each lanyard until the tank is empty and the hissing stops.
  1. Pull the SILVER lanyard (wet tank). There should be no significant moisture and neither of the gauges should change.
  2. Pull the GREEN lanyard (primary tank - rear air). There should be no significant moisture and one gauge should drop to zero.
  3. Pull the RED lanyard (secondary tank - front air). There should be no significant moisture and both gauges should now be at zero.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:12 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
So if I call the Silver color "Gray" then the process is alphabetical and makes it a little easier to remember.
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Spartan DOT system isolation test (draining air tanks)

From the Spartan chassis service seminar:
Test Procedure:
  1. With engine off, make sure both air gauges read 70 PSI or less. If they read higher, pump the brake pedal until the air pressure gauges read 70 PSI or less.
  2. Start the engine and run at high idle (1,200 RPM or higher) until the Air Drier purges in the rear of the vehicle.
  3. Turn the engine OFF, but leave the ignition switch ON so that the gauges are powered up and reading the air pressure.
In the following steps, pull each lanyard until the tank is empty and the hissing stops.
  1. Pull the SILVER lanyard (wet tank). There should be no significant moisture and neither of the gauges should change.
  2. Pull the GREEN lanyard (primary tank - rear air). There should be no significant moisture and one gauge should drop to zero.
  3. Pull the RED lanyard (secondary tank - front air). There should be no significant moisture and both gauges should now be at zero.
I understand the procedure but can't locate a silver, green and red lanyard? I see 2 black ones in the passenger side wheel well but that is all.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
On my 2019 K2 they are in the rear compartment next to and a little behind the DEF tank - Batteries Fuel filters ect on the passenger side rear.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
I understand the procedure but can't locate a silver, green and red lanyard? I see 2 black ones in the passenger side wheel well but that is all.
My chassis only has 2 lanyards/cables too. The manual drain for the wet tank does not have a cable attached, always wondered why. Every time I've been underneath I gently tilt the manual drain, never have seen any water expelled.
My cables are simply bare metal, looks like they were never color-coded. As a result I've never been able to go by the instructions.

MIne are just in front of LF wheel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwprosser View Post
So if I call the Silver color "Gray" then the process is alphabetical and makes it a little easier to remember.
Sounds like the paint on my MH, paint code calls it silver, looks gray to me.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
My chassis only has 2 lanyards/cables too. The manual drain for the wet tank does not have a cable attached, always wondered why. Every time I've been underneath I gently tilt the manual drain, never have seen any water expelled.
My cables are simply bare metal, looks like they were never color-coded. As a result I've never been able to go by the instructions.

Is your wet tank drain in the generator compartment?

It usually is also the hookup for a tow truck to air up your suspension, and keep your parking brakes off.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Is your wet tank drain in the generator compartment?

It usually is also the hookup for a tow truck to air up your suspension, and keep your parking brakes off.
The wet tank drain lanyard is missing on my chassis. The wrecker driver unscrewed the automatic drain in the main tank to plumb air from the wrecker.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1568-MM5 air tank.pdf (118.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 05:08 AM   #10

Quote:

Thanks I will keep looking. Great set of instructions to follow and they could have started the procedure with something like this..."locate the 3 colored lanyards located in the...." but noooo. Send us on a seek mission.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Now that would take all the fun out of it and make it simple and easy to do!!! Think of all the good safe social interaction your getting ... its a bonus that Spartan includes at no additional charge... the only one!

Quote:
Thanks I will keep looking. Great set of instructions to follow and they could have started the procedure with something like this..."locate the 3 colored lanyards located in the...." but noooo. Send us on a seek mission.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwprosser View Post
Now that would take all the fun out of it and make it simple and easy to do!!! Think of all the good safe social interaction your getting ... its a bonus that Spartan includes at no additional charge... the only one!
Mine are accessed via LF wheel-well, just in front of the wheel, on frame bottom.
There is one air tank that only has a radiator petcock drain, back near the rear axle. I open/close that once a year, usually no water. It supplies compressed air, similar to an accumulator, to the rear air springs only.
This is the 1999 Spartan MM compressed air diagram:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressed air plumbing.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	303871  
Old 10-08-2020, 04:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Mine are accessed via LF wheel-well, just in front of the wheel, on frame bottom.
There is one air tank that only has a radiator petcock drain, back near the rear axle. I open/close that once a year, usually no water. It supplies compressed air, similar to an accumulator, to the rear air springs only.
This is the 1999 Spartan MM compressed air diagram:
I called the dealer for help and after a day he got back to me and said there were indeed only 2 lanyards on the Ventana not 3 different colored ones as stated in the Spartan maintenance bulletin. He had to talk to several people to get this information. My question then to him is why can't they put that in the myriad instructions you get. Would make things simpler and save so much time hunting for things that don't exist!
Old 10-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
I called the dealer for help and after a day he got back to me and said there were indeed only 2 lanyards on the Ventana not 3 different colored ones as stated in the Spartan maintenance bulletin. He had to talk to several people to get this information. My question then to him is why can't they put that in the myriad instructions you get. Would make things simpler and save so much time hunting for things that don't exist!
If you get under your coach, first make sure the frame is blocked up to prevent human damage, look for a manual drain(tilt valve)on the bottom of the two front air tanks, you should see 3, one is missing a cable lanyard. You may simply push it to one side with a finger to drain that tank.
As to why Spartan did not supply the 3rd cable ?????

I plan to add the 3rd cable this month myself.

Tags
air, tank