Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
DS Spartain K2 Chassis Steering Issues

Hello Group,

I have a 2020 DS 4369 that has an issue with steering slop and road wandering. It feels like I'm driving an old truck/bus with wore out front end linkages or gearboxes rather than a brand new coach. Video is on a new concrete highway, center lane, calm day. On windy days, passing trucks, or rutted asphalt is sometimes dangerous!

Please keep in mind this is my 3rd Class A DP and I also owned 2 commercial Busses for over 6 years, I have around 150,000 miles experience driving large coaches.

A little preface on the ongoing saga:

Coach bought new September 2020 and currently has only 7,300K mi.

I have had the coach professionally 3-Axle aligned, (front and Drive Axles were off from factory);
I have weighed the coach at all 4 corners and set tire pressures to Tire Mfg Spec's based on measured weights for each position, (Rear/Tag 85 psi and Fronts 105 psi, have also tried front tires at +/- 10 psi w/ no change);
I have measured ride heights and they are spot on for rear, (shocks at center mount bolts are at 20" and front air bags both right at 9.25" between the bag brackets;
I had a Holt Cat check the previous alignment for Validity, (within spec according to Holt Cat and Spartan Rep, see last link, report shows K3 chassis but tech verified w/ Spartan as K2 was NOT in software);
I have done the Comfort Drive Resert procedure several times personally;
I had Holt Cat check the front end for problems and speak with Spartan Reps, (they say they cannot find anything "wrong" in steering linkage or pitman arm);
Holt Cat also did recall Campaigns of Steering box Bracket Bolt replacements and lower shock Mount Brackets to eliminate that as a possible cause;
I have another appointment with DFW NIRVC at the end of June and will be travelling to Nappanee for factory warranty work in Mid-June just prior to that;

Please click on links below to see the videos of what I am experiencing as well as steering linkage slop in shaft/gearbox(s). I would love input from anyone who has experienced similar issues and what was discovered to be the culprit here.

It seems like very few mechanics at commercial truck shops, (Including the factory authorized Spartan Service Shops reccomended by Spartan) have much experience dealing with Busses/Motorcoaches. I do realize many of the components are the same, but the shops that Spartan has referred me to just don't seem to be that interested in getting to the root problem resolved and fixing it.

Please watch all videos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15nV...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16AH...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/163A...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15pu...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16EE...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15y-...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16F0...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks Everyone, look forward to the help...
Terry Nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

After insuring my steering components were good, and having the total alignment, I tightened the steering box a wee bit so the free play was less. Now it steers much more like my pickup on the highway.
This can cause problems with a worn steering box, but low mileage allows this without causing binding with sharp steer angles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
After insuring my steering components were good, and having the total alignment, I tightened the steering box a wee bit so the free play was less. Now it steers much more like my pickup on the highway.
This can cause problems with a worn steering box, but low mileage allows this without causing binding with sharp steer angles.
Ray, where is the steering box on ours, I have the same as your but aa couple years newer, 2002, is this easy to access and tighten?
Don Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #4

What steering box do you have?

Some are externally adjustable, some are not.

Sheppard boxes are not adjustable. They can be blueprinted to remove play. In fact their is a company that does this for a living:

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/
Old 05-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Holden View Post
Ray, where is the steering box on ours, I have the same as your but aa couple years newer, 2002, is this easy to access and tighten?
I have a Reyco-Granning front suspension front end. The steering box is recognized by the drag link attached. The adjustement screw is on the port-side very close to the frame rail and locked in place with a 3/4" hex nut.
There is no way to insert a screwdriver straight into the screw slot, you must use a smaller blade screwdriver at a 90° angle to the screw to move it a few degrees at a time until excess play is gone. Over-tightening can damage the steering box gearing. I removed just enough play so the steering wheel feels like my Chevy Silverado steering.
Of course a total wheel alignment should be performed first, this includes thrust angle.

hope my explanation is logical to you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, steering