Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #1

Ok, the coach is 12 years old, but never had any electrical drivetrain problems. I think I've isolated the problem but wanted your advice.

The batteries are weak (just added water and not yet charged). But I turned on the chassis switch, inserted the key into the ignition, turned it to the first position and all the guages come to life - nothing special so far. I then turned the key to the start position, the engine tried but would not turn over (battery weak, been there before), but then all went silent and all dashboard guages went silent.

Interestingly enough the radio would come and go. And when it would come on, there was a clicking sound (a slow buzzing) from what may be a relay in the outer electrical compartment. This 'relay' is a ~2" stainless cylindrical cup, with a very shallow blunt cone cap on one end. This has two heavy gauge red wires connected to the upper and lower screws on the cylinder. There are also two small gauge screws/wires coming from the cylinder. Anyway the red wires are then attached to a distribution board where the connections are labeled (one of the upper connections off the distribution labeled ABS, one of the lower connections labeled Radio.

OK, I have a picture but do not know how to load it. I would be happy to send it to anyone who thinks the picture would help them, help me id the part for replacement. Or if anyone can tell me how to load it I would like to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help you RV wizards can offer.

By the way I would also be happy to call to discuss this with anyone.

Brian
RBAJJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #2

Ok, the coach is 12 years old, but never had any electrical drivetrain problems. I think I've isolated the problem but wanted your advice.

The batteries are weak (just added water and not yet charged). But I turned on the chassis switch, inserted the key into the ignition, turned it to the first position and all the guages come to life - nothing special so far. I then turned the key to the start position, the engine tried but would not turn over (battery weak, been there before), but then all went silent and all dashboard guages went silent.

Interestingly enough the radio would come and go. And when it would come on, there was a clicking sound (a slow buzzing) from what may be a relay in the outer electrical compartment. This 'relay' is a ~2" stainless cylindrical cup, with a very shallow blunt cone cap on one end. This has two heavy gauge red wires connected to the upper and lower screws on the cylinder. There are also two small gauge screws/wires coming from the cylinder. Anyway the red wires are then attached to a distribution board where the connections are labeled (one of the upper connections off the distribution labeled ABS, one of the lower connections labeled Radio.

OK, I have a picture but do not know how to load it. I would be happy to send it to anyone who thinks the picture would help them, help me id the part for replacement. Or if anyone can tell me how to load it I would like to learn.

Thanks in advance for any help you RV wizards can offer.

By the way I would also be happy to call to discuss this with anyone.

Brian
Old 10-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brian,
Consider doing nothing until you know you have fully charged batteries providing power. Strange things happen when weak power is applied to a circuit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I concur with Gary, you MUST have fully charged batteries to trouble shoot any electrical problem.

Richard
Old 10-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I just had the same thing and thought I screwed up my electrical system. I replaced the Chassis batteries and everything is working fine.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #6

Gary, Avalon, and Pat,

Thanks so much for the advice. I removed both chassis batteries and tested them - weak. Then tried to charge them and the charger indicated that both batteries had an open circuit or dead cell. The batteries were five years old and have now been replaced.

I installed the new batteries today. With the turn of the key, all the gauges came to life and the rig started right up.

Without your advice I would have still ended up with new batteries, but also about $100 worth of parts I did not need.

Thanks again.