Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Exhaust Retarder on 8.3 cummins in 1993 Spartan

I am looking for wiring schematic or explanation of the controls for the exhaust retarder on my recently purchased 1993 holiday rambler on a spartan chassis with the 300 HP 8.3 Cummins
Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens10 View Post
I am looking for wiring schematic or explanation of the controls for the exhaust retarder on my recently purchased 1993 holiday rambler on a spartan chassis with the 300 HP 8.3 Cummins

I have a '93 C8.3 on a Roadmaster chassis but they bought the exhaust brakes from others. Is it a Bendix?

Give me all of the info that you can I may have the help. Mine is a PacBrake. I'm going out back to start it tomorrow, I'll see what I have if you're still searching.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #3

I'm not sure about an exhaust "retarder". Is it possible that you have an Exhaust brake?
What tranny do you have? And do you see the Exhaust brake on the engine? If so, does it say PACBRAKE on the cylinder?

I have a '97 8.3 Cummins with a Pacbrake exhaust brake and Allison tranny. I have been diagnosing this for the past 2 days at a local repair place and now have a real good grip on how it operates to include VIM operation and TCM interaction with VIM.
I have the WTEC II tranny control.

Let us know if you have an exhaust brake and what brand.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #4

As a follow up - I did find a document from Pacbrake where they refer to it as a "Retarder", so I learned something today.
Attached is a doc from pacbrake that shows how mine is wired "kinda" - they left off how the TCM interfaces with the VIM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf L5114.pdf (533.4 KB, 180 views)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have 94 spartan chassis with pacbrake and it works as described in above document. Since it is purely mechanical, the system is pretty simple. Only thing that is a pain is that there is no feedback when at a stop to disengage. It's ok for a short stop. Have to remember to shut it off if when stopped and idling.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:03 AM   #6

My experience is only with the 3060 tranny and W-TEC II control. On the version I have, the TCM shuts off the exhaust brake at 10mph and below. Depending on the control you have - you should see the target gear change back to 6 (or highest) when you get to 10 mph and no foot on fuel pedal.
On mine when cruising above 10mph and I take my foot off the fuel pedal, the tranny switches it's target gear to 2nd and depending on the RPM, will start downshifting toward that goal - at 10 mph it switches back to 6th gear (that's when the TCM shuts off the exhaust brake).

That being said, my brake is not being turned off either - the signal that is supposed to be on pin 132 of the TCM apparently is not there. I am adding a foot switch so I can disengage the exhaust brake when under 10mph - not an ideal fix but easy enough to implement. I ran the wires yesterday, just waiting for it to arrive.

I may send the TCM in to this company for repair - have to call and talk to them first

ECM King - Allison Transmission ECM
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Exhaust Brake ( Retarder )

Thanks all for the good information. I used the wiring schematic, found that the power supply to the console switch was corroded, and one of the wires to the throttle switch was broken. Some new wire, a circuit breaker and a couple of new wiring terminals later it works great!
Stevens10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens10 View Post
Thanks all for the good information. I used the wiring schematic, found that the power supply to the console switch was corroded, and one of the wires to the throttle switch was broken. Some new wire, a circuit breaker and a couple of new wiring terminals later it works great!
Good to hear - thanks for closing the loop.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

Grab the wiring diagram that dbarton291 provided on the Allison forum - it's pretty clear.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.

Tags
cummins, exhaust, spartan