Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Fass pump installation

Any one know what parts you need to install a fass fuel pump and how it's done on a 2003 Cummins 370 hp 8.9 spartan chassis
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Ray
I was sure that someone would reply with more info. If you do a search on "CAPS failures" there is a thread where someone installed a FASS. Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring
Don & Susan
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Fass pump installation

I noticed that you are having problems finding out how to plumb in a FASS pump. I am having the same problem with my 350 horse 2003 Monaco Windsor 8.3. I did all the normal work like changing fuel filters, cleaning the fuel tank and changing the leaking lift pump. It is still bucking underload. I hope you have found a way to take care of the problem with an auxiliary pump. If so, which one did you use and how did you plumb it? I called FASS technical support and if it is not a Ford, Dodge or GM they don't have a clue.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
There is a huge post with all the information you could ever want titled "Repeating CAPS Failures" in the Cummins engine forums. Do a search on CAPS failures and you can get lots of information. I used a 95 GPH(gallon per hour) system. I put the pump where the primary fuel filter was and bypassed the factory pump's plumbing. Then find a "Hot" wire that is on any time the ignition switch is in the run position. That is the simplified version. I noticed a difference immediately on starting the engine the first time. I gained some power and more MPG also.
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
Any one know what parts you need to install a fass fuel pump and how it's done on a 2003 Cummins 370 hp 8.9 spartan chassis
Did you ever find an answer to this question of the Fass fuel pump? I have the same problem with my 2002 Monaco Windsor 8.3 ISC. New filters, cleaned fuel tank and replaced the lift pump before I realized it only runs for 30 seconds by design.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #6

Yes purchased a titanium 95 GPH PUMP installed it in rear of Left the lift pump in place for the return fuel from the caps pump back to the tank. Disconnected the incoming fuel line an ran it to the inlet of fass pump and filters. Connected the fuel line to caps pump to one outlet of the fass. Ran a new return line from the fass system back to the fill pipe going into the tank. Had to make a tee to fit the inlet 2" ID HOSE I would strap a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe to the under side of coach an run the return pipe in it for protection. Connect the positive an neg wiring to battery. I soldered the relay that needs to be hot from the key to the red or hot wire going to heater in your air drier. Next the wires going to the old lift pump need to be connected to any 12 volt relay you can buy under 10.00 to foul the ECM THAT THE OLD LIFT PUMP IS STILL WORKING. JUST MADE my first trip with it. I also installed a fuel pressure gauge an ran between 17-18 PSI TO THE CAPPS PUMP. pulling a car from Cinn. To Cooperstown got 7.5 MPH@ 65. Works good
Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

Fass pump installation

Sorry that's 7.5Mpg
Old 07-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Raybo -- Did you use a fuel pressure regulator -- or is 17-18 Lbs what you saw on a gauge that the pump was producing after you installed it.

It looks like the Titanium has filters with it, so assume that is why you put in place of primary fuel filter. Does you RV also have a second fuel filter as standard?

I have read the long post of CAPS pumps a while back and think I will soon install the Fass pump. Am currently in Alaska and have had some starting issues on and off that lead me to think that extra pressure would help my CAPS pump.

Will reread all the posts before doing anything,

thanks Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

No the pump puts out 20lbs at idle an 17-18 under load. My factory installed filter was between the lift pump an the caps I removed it an used the filtering system of fass. Purchased a gauge from MaxToe performance so I could read the pressure the pump was putting out. Works great.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks for the info. This is on my list when i return to Florida from Alaska.

My engine has been dying at startup about when the lift pump cuts off.
I have found turning the key on/off several times and going through a few lift pump cycles seems to help. Hopefully that will work until I return to Florida in a couple of months.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install