Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Front Chassis Air quick connect

Can anyone steer me to the proper quick connect adapter to hook up to the front air port under the hood of my Spartan chassis?
I want to hook up an air line for tires, etc. and don't know which adapter I need. A part number, link or anything would be helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, The best thing I can tell you to do is take the quick coupler(female end) off the end of the hose in the front of your coach and take it to the hardware store and find the proper air hose fitting that fits it.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #3

These air fittings are pretty much standard.
Take a picture of it, with a ruler next to it and go to your local auto parts place.
Shouldn't take tem more than 2 minutes to get you the right one.
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

They look standard from the outside. They are very different with the location of the grooves and ribs that lock them in place. If you look for the ones that have a wide flat rib (maybe 1/4') that is the one that fits. I have used air tools all my life and the one Newmar uses is not as common as most used around here (Indiana). It is still available at most auto parts stores.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #5

Look for them at Amazon.com. They are listed as 1/4" male automotive plug MP3238. The 1/4" is thread size, yours may be different but you can see the shape of the part that engages female coupler.
At least this is what my last two Newmars on Spartan required.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Look for them at Amazon.com. They are listed as 1/4" male automotive plug MP3238. The 1/4" is thread size, yours may be different but you can see the shape of the part that engages female coupler.
At least this is what my last two Newmars on Spartan required.

Dave
Thanks a bunch for your help Dave. I'll try one of those. The picture on Amazon will probably help me find one locally. If not, I'll order one from them.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Any hardware or most auto parts carry them even Walmart.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

air bib

on my 2002 mountainaire, there was a spare fitting wired on the line. it is a little difficult to see, as it is back a couple of inch,s. maybe yu might get lucky and have one there also Doug
fulltimeraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimeraye View Post
on my 2002 mountainaire, there was a spare fitting wired on the line. it is a little difficult to see, as it is back a couple of inch,s. maybe yu might get lucky and have one there also Doug
Nope, I looked to see if there was one there. I'd heard there's usually one attached to let the tow truck driver know which one he'll need in case of towing the coach.
I did find one that works and I'm now in business!
Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Buy fittings that conform to the "Industrial Interchange" standards and you can't fail. These fittings are made to accept any of the different types of fittings, ie: they are universal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #11

There are several different standards and styles of quick-disconnect air couplers; the one that turned out to be on mine is the "automotive" style as currently sold at Lowes: Shop Kobalt 1/4-in Steel Female Automotive Plug at Lowes.com

This is not to be confused with the much-more-common "industrial" style, which is what one commonly finds on air tools: Shop Kobalt 1/4-in Steel Industrial Plug (M) at Lowes.com

And, I did find a mating plug tied to my coupler air line. Over the years it had turned into a ball of rust and was unusable.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #12

Um, be careful when using that to air up tires. You could easily let air OUT of your tires if your air tanks fall below the pounds in your tire and your compressor doesn't kick on. You have to sort of have someone watch the air guage while you're airing the tires. Don't ask me how I know this.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Working Pressure

My tires require 115psi in front and 100 in the rear. The onboard compressor would never deliver more than 80 no matter what I tried. High idle, pumping the air brake, whatever. Some will say they've been successful, I wasn't.

I find it a lot easier to use a 'Husky' 150psi portable I got from Home Depot for about $100. It's noisy as all get out, but still quieter than firing up the CAT. It get up to 150 in about 60 seconds.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #14

I am with muddypaws though I haven't purchased yet.

At first I thought I may use that plug for inflatable toys for the kids and tires in an emergency. I quickly realized there is nearly NO usable stored air pressure after a short period and firing up my C9 to inflate the pool toys seems ridiculous. Add to that the fact that my hydraulic leveling system doesnt much like having the air bags inflated while they are deployed and I quickly realized this was not a good solution.

Oh, and my fronts run @120psi...

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis