Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 07:56 AM   #1

Fuel Tank Leaking

1993 American Eagle on a Spartan Chassis. I've got a diesel fuel leak coming from the top of the tank WHEN THE GENERATOR IS RUNNING. There are feed and return hoses coming from the generator to hard lines that run up and disappear above the tank. It appears that these connections are not accessible without dropping the tank. It looks pretty straightforward to drop the tank, having only 3 straps holding it up. My concern is that if these connections from the hard lines are hard plumbed directly to the tank and the tank is dropped, I'll bend and ruin the lines. Does anyone know if there are hoses connecting these hard lines to the tank? How easy is it to drop the fuel tank? Are these connections accessible through the floor under the carpeting?
mklimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 03:14 AM   #2

I don’t have a direct answer - but my experience with gassers is there is always rubber hose at the top of the tank, and you use ratchet straps and bottle jacks to slowly drop the tank down once the permanent straps are removed. You drop down enough so you can see what your dealing with before dropping the tank all the way to the ground.

First tank I did to replace the fuel pump discharge hose that had disintegrated was a 60 gallon tank that probably had 50 gallons of gas in it.
Bought gas “cans” from WallyWorld and siphoned gas into them to get the tank weight down.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:56 AM   #3

Bluebird made a BMC model on a Spartan Mm chassis. I had a 95. Seems like generator and maybe AquaHot fuel lines are accessible from above, but you need to know exactly where they are and cut thru the floor. Maybe someone had been in there before and already cut the floor. What flooring do you have in the living area? On my coach, the fuel tank was directly behind the front wheels, not sure if yours is. I would think if you had to drop the tank, it would get expensive in a hurry. Good luck
tdrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrees View Post
Bluebird made a BMC model on a Spartan Mm chassis. I had a 95. Seems like generator and maybe AquaHot fuel lines are accessible from above, but you need to know exactly where they are and cut thru the floor. Maybe someone had been in there before and already cut the floor. What flooring do you have in the living area? On my coach, the fuel tank was directly behind the front wheels, not sure if yours is. I would think if you had to drop the tank, it would get expensive in a hurry. Good luck

The area where the leak is just behind the front wheel and the area is carpeted , not sure if I could go thru the floor though, was thinking of dropping the tank but not sure of lines going to the rear and frt ?
ptsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #5

If you have HWH jacks, there is a stabilizing bar between them, under the 125G tank. The tank has a drain plug, makes it easy to completely empty the tank after pumping as much as possible first.
Going through the floor is not reasonable IMO, my coach has a 4" thick floor with an open space for wiring/plumbing, heating ducts,etc.
I think mrmark52 has the right method.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Just a idea, but if the generator is running while leaking, it's the return line from generator to tank, can you see, or access the Cummins engine return line to tank? Is it rubber hose / nylon line? Possible to cut it and splice a T fitting for the generator and run the return from generator into same hose?

Otherwise, yes drain tank, you might be able to rent or use a transmission or motorcycle jack.to lower tank enough to access the lines on top.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Just a idea, but if the generator is running while leaking, it's the return line from generator to tank, can you see, or access the Cummins engine return line to tank? Is it rubber hose / nylon line? Possible to cut it and splice a T fitting for the generator and run the return from generator into same hose?

Otherwise, yes drain tank, you might be able to rent or use a transmission or motorcycle jack.to lower tank enough to access the lines on top.

Finally got the coach to the shop to drop the tank, 3 straps unhook the fuel gauge disconnect the 2 filler tubes, had a forklift with extensions on the arms, lowered the tank and found the return line for the generator was leaking and the vent tube was pinched from someone repairing the tans previously , new line raised back up and all completed . All the other lines looked new so I left them alone, not too bad of a job especially with the forklift
ptsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsaguy View Post
Finally got the coach to the shop to drop the tank, 3 straps unhook the fuel gauge disconnect the 2 filler tubes, had a forklift with extensions on the arms, lowered the tank and found the return line for the generator was leaking and the vent tube was pinched from someone repairing the tans previously , new line raised back up and all completed . All the other lines looked new so I left them alone, not too bad of a job especially with the forklift
Thanks for the report back!

One thing I didn’t mention in my post above - it is very important that to you routed the fuel filler and vent hoses correctly and supported them on the frame.

The vent hose needed to lay on top of the filler hose without drooping so as to allow gas to pool in the vent hose - if the vent hose gets air blocked with fuel, you’ll have heck getting gas into the tank.
PO of our coach had a stainless steel tank fabbed and installed - but the installer failed to properly support the hoses. PO told me you had to hold the fuel nozzle just right and go slow. Took me 2-3 months to get under there and see the problem. There is a hanger tab welded onto the chassis near the back end of the fuel tank that a strap around the vent and filler hose are to be attached to. The installer didn’t rehang the hoses, nor did they restrap any of the hoses.

Just FYI!

Tags
fuel, leak, tank