Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Hankook Brand - First Time Truck Tire Buyer

Next week I plan to bring home a new-to-us Newmar coach (2005 Dutch Star M4023 w/ 370 h.p. Cummins ISL). Professional pre-purchase inspection complete. Consideration for drive axle tire replacement was made in our purchase offer. The existing four rear tires are dated-out Michelin X-Greens (10 years old). The steer axle has one year old Hankook AH37 tires. Tire size in all positions is 275/70R225.

As first time Class A owners, we find ourselves in uncharted territory regarding a tire purchase. The large chain brand tire store we use for cars, pick-ups and trailer tires doesn't do heavy truck tires. We have yet to identify the best local source for truck tires, but the coach's records show an invoice for the 2019 purchase of the front tires. The invoice looks like an order delivered to a Hankook local distribution center and does not show any fees aside from a unit price and tax. No disposal fee, no labor or mounting charge. But the seller assures me the invoice covers installation too. That installed cost was about $470. I'm seeing the same tire at online retailers for about $430-$450 before shipping. So in that context, $470 out the door installed sounds pretty decent. I haven't priced any other tires seriously, but a quick browse suggests Michelins are about $200 more, each.

As I learn my way around the diesel coach parts and service landscape, it's tempting to just go with something I know was a good transaction last year regarding tires. However, on cars and light trucks, I have found Michelin tires to generally be worth the extra money. If I put Michelins on the drive axle of this rig, then I have a four/two mix of different brands. No big deal, but I kind of like symmetry. I could rationalize that in another six or seven years, the fronts would be replaced to match the rear. The reality is, if we are like most Class A owners, tires will age out before tread wear becomes a concern, but that's not guaranteed. 5000 miles per year is likely, and it would be great if we did more.

Wondering if these Hankooks are worthwhile? Thoughts very much appreciated. Thanks.
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #2

Several truck tire brands are now popular and seemingly reliable. Toyo, Sailun, Hankook, and others I've forgotten names.
I bought Sailun truck tires,(made in Vietnam) they seem to be better than the Goodyears they replaced, and less than half the cost.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:06 AM   #3

I bought 6 Hankooks in your size a couple of years ago. Don't have many miles on them yet but am quite happy with them. I did put on Centramatic balancers at the same time. Nice smooth ride all around.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #4

I just replaced 6 Goodyear with Continentals using FMCA tire program and happy. Tire w FET was $475 plus about $50-$60/ tire for mounting, sales tax, stems... you can get Michelins through FMCA but they are $$$ more. Worth checking !
I liked Contis are US made and wanted to support US industry. I had Michelin before and had side wall cracks long before I felt I should given use & care.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had Hankook on my large 5er and they were great. Several friends with larger motorhomes are running Hankooks and no issues. Also have a couple of friends running them on their DRW trucks and no issues.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

I've been running Hankook on our coach for quite a few years and like them.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Hankook Brand - First Time Truck Tire Buyer

Dont ever buy hankook tires. They are the worst. I have to replace two sets on two different f150s with less than 25k on them. They are also prone to easy punctures. In a nutshell, they suck
Capt. Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I bought 6 Hankooks in your size a couple of years ago. Don't have many miles on them yet but am quite happy with them. I did put on Centramatic balancers at the same time. Nice smooth ride all around.
[emoji40]
we replaced our good years with hankook, and added balance beads, they have been great tires, i run 105psi up front and 100 on the rear duals

will buy them again
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote