Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #1

How to trigger diagnostic mode?

Howdy,

I have a '99 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis with an ISC Cummins. We just picked it up a couple weeks ago, and are on our first trip with it.

Does anyone know how to trigger the Cummins diagnostic mode on this chassis? Do I need the 'shorting plug' that the Cummins book talks about? Does that just short two pins of the diagnostic connector, or is it something more than that? Anyone know what two pins?

We're getting an intermittent stop light / buzzer when the engine is under load and we're anything more than 1/4 to half throttle. Under 1/4 or half throttle and no light/buzzer.

We made it here, but obviously we need to figure out what's going on. The cummins book has lots of nice diagnostics, but it all starts with a code I haven't figured out how to get...

Thanks!

Mark
marka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mark,
Sorry to be a bit late to this thread. Since you have had no replies, consider calling Cummins at 800-343-7357. They are great to work with and I'm sure will have you getting your codes quickly.

When you call, have the last six digits of your VIN or the engine serial #.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #3

Howdy,

Thanks Gary. I actually did just that and the guy that answered the phone was indeed super helpful. He told me that I could turn on the ignition without starting the engine and press the throttle to the floor three times in succession to have it flash any active codes.

The rub is that an active code is one which was causing the engine light to be on when the motor was shut off... Which in my case wasn't possible since I was getting an intermittent light.

The problem was resolved though... Clogged fuel filter. The chassis side filter looked _horrible_. Replaced both and no more problems. Had the rig scanned at Freightliner of Bangor (who I can't recommend highly enough... Super helpful, friendly, and wouldn't take any money for the diagnosis!) and sure enough all the inactive codes were fuel related, and a check of the commanded vs. actual fuel pressures showed no issues.

Mark
marka is offline   Reply With Quote