Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #1

Hydraulic Fan Motor Replacement

I’ve searched here and found some information. I apparently have a fan motor seal blow out. Went through 5 gallons of Hydraulic oil in 100 miles getting it home. Oil all over everything so almost impossible to tell what is leaking. Likely it is the fan motor as that would sling it into the fan and airflow.
Any recommended procedures for removing the fan motor? My chassis has an X from the corners holding the plate that the fan motor is mounted to. It doesn’t appear that I can just unbolt the X and pull down motor, mounting plate and fan at the same time. There are structural members that block it from separating from the radiator and fan shroud.

I found the video of a guy removing his on his ISC, but it looks like a different set up.

After I verify the leak, I plan on diving in. Any experience would be helpful and appreciated.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #2

I did mine last summer. Remove fan one bolt in the middle with a key on the shaft. Remove hydraulic lines I had to drop motor down for top line. Mark lines do not mix up where they are FYI I replaced those fittings two lines and hydraulic motor I got the motor from Spartan lines and fittings local hydraulic shop. It is a dirty job.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I did mine last summer. Remove fan one bolt in the middle with a key on the shaft. Remove hydraulic lines I had to drop motor down for top line. Mark lines do not mix up where they are FYI I replaced those fittings two lines and hydraulic motor I got the motor from Spartan lines and fittings local hydraulic shop. It is a dirty job.

Is the motor a Cummins part or Spartan part?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

The cooling package including hydraulic fan motor(s) are chassis manufacturer speced and installed, not engine manufacturer.

The engine manufacturer only specs the size (BTU's) of cooling needed.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

Spartan part I ordered from them around $400
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #6

So I finally got a chance to get under the coach to determine where the hydraulic leak is coming from. It isn’t the fanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7961.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	327522Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7960.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	327523 motor but this manifold which I’m guessing is the temp control.

I have cleaned it up again and will try to verify where the leak is. It appears to be the box or the fitting above it.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #7

Yup, will need to clean it very well to be able to determine the source of the leak. May be a hose, hose fitting/end or, yes the controller.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Yup, will need to clean it very well to be able to determine the source of the leak. May be a hose, hose fitting/end or, yes the controller.

Is the small cube with wire attached the controller and the rest of the block just a manifold?
Old 05-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #9

Hyd Fan Motor Replacement

PS I need to buy stock in brake cleaner. Lol
Old 05-07-2021, 10:04 PM   #10

Simple Green for Aluminum works too; put it in a garden sprayer soak everything. Hot water works great to flush it off if you can reach your house water heater with a hose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Simple Green for Aluminum works too; put it in a garden sprayer soak everything. Hot water works great to flush it off if you can reach your house water heater with a hose.

[emoji106]
Old 05-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Simple Green for Aluminum is called Simple Green EXTREME. It was developed for degreasing aluminum aircraft.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #13

Hyd Fan Motor Replacement

Opinion? Is it leaking from the valve or the fitting above?

I’m reasonably sure I only see fluid draining from the valve.

Assuming it’s the valve, do I use the hex nut on the very end to remove it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yztcp5lkx7...cLeak.MOV?dl=0
Old 05-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #14

2 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Opinion? Is it leaking from the valve or the fitting above?

I’m reasonably sure I only see fluid draining from the valve.

Assuming it’s the valve, do I use the hex nut on the very end to remove it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yztcp5lkx7...cLeak.MOV?dl=0
Spartan lists 2 valves, one is the speed control the other is a relief valve. I'm thinking I should replace both as a stuck relief valve could damage something else.

Tags
ace, fan, motor, replace, replacement, hydraulic