Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

I cannot find the VIM on my Spartan Chassis

Hey there all. This is my first official post. I am having a terrible time finding the VIM as we discovered the is no power to my ECU which explains why I don't get a neutral sign on my shifter so my pretty beast will not start.

Thru reading forums my son and I have discovered the ECU is powered by the VIM and that there are two fuses that supply the power to the ECU. I had a power surge a while back and I am wondering if that blew those fuses?

I saw on a Freightliiner chassis the location but when I called Spartan they thought it was under the shifter but NOPE there is nothing under the shifter. There is the, I BELIEVE TCM box behind the pedals right behind the ECU but not finding the VIM.

This park doesn't like my older RV and wants me to leave by end of the month. UGH ... if I could start it that would be much easier... LOL!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
95AmerEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #2

Don't know exactly what style of VIM your chassis uses , but here's a document that has a diagram of the more common one .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle+Interface+Module+(VIM).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	349133   Click image for larger version

Name:	AllisonTrans VIM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	349136  

Old 11-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

My Freightliner chassis uses a different VIM ; Yellow circle in first photo and cover removed second photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0242 (640x360).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	349134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243 (640x360).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	349135  

Old 11-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
My Freightliner chassis uses a different VIM ; Yellow circle in first photo and cover removed second photo.
That's how mine is configured, mine is mounted above the engine on the access hatch steel frame.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #5

I cannot find the VIM on my spartan chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Don't know exactly what style of VIM your chassis uses , but here's a document that has a diagram of the more common one .
Thanks! Yes, I have seen that I have a diagram that supposedly goes to a 95 American Eagle but NO CLUE where the darn thing is hiding.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's how mine is configured, mine is mounted above the engine on the access hatch steel frame.
Well, I will peek but I have been all over that area so much and I don't remember seeing anything like that. I tell my RV repair guy all the time... we are going to say "IT's a 95 A LOT" LOL!!

I remember seeing on another forum that it is usually with in 3 ft of the ECU.

I also saw on another forum that his was in the first cargo bay mounted on the ceiling... I do have a black box mounted on the ceiling in the 2nd cargo bay. Will have to take a peak.

I appreciate all the input.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:37 AM   #7

The VIM on my Spartan is on the forward side of the firewall just in front of the steering wheel - in the generator compartment side of firewall, more toward the street side of the compartment. On my coach the ECU and TCM are inside the shifter. I just had my shifter rebuilt by Transmissioninstruments.com, came back like new.
Do you have the troubleshooting manual for your, I presume, 3060 Allison tranny and WTEC-II control? I can attach if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Allison 3060 Wiring schematic.png
Views:	80
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	349198  
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The VIM on my Spartan is on the forward side of the firewall just in front of the steering wheel - in the generator compartment side of firewall, more toward the street side of the compartment. On my coach the ECU and TCM are inside the shifter. I just had my shifter rebuilt by Transmissioninstruments.com, came back like new.
Do you have the troubleshooting manual for your, I presume, 3060 Allison tranny and WTEC-II control? I can attach if you need it.
THAT is GREAT INFO...I will go look! I didnt' even think to look in the generator compartment. We have looked on the firewall around the steering wheel there is a big black box there that has other elec stuff in there... Thanks SO MUCH for the input. We did some troubleshooting from the transmission instruments web page. That is how we discovered there is no power to the ECU. Which in my pretty best is right behind the shifter... and the TCM is behind the pedals. I do not have the transmission manual though. That might be helpful. Thanks again. My son is my helper and can crawl places I can't.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:08 AM   #9

Here ya go.
In section G it shows what is inside the VIM - not much, relays and a couple fuses.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Here ya go.
In section G it shows what is inside the VIM - not much, relays and a couple fuses.
OOH WEE..Thank YOU!!!
One thing leads to another ... my slide for my generator motor is toast...ha ha ha NOW to see if I can find the manual crank? That makes great sense to be in there... and those two fuses is my prayer to get this baby to her new home.

Thanks AGAIN SOOO MUCH!!!
Old 11-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Quick question is your generator in a slide on the front of the RV? I think we must be built differently because my TCM is on the floor behind my peddles and ICU is behind my lever shifter. However I sure do appreciate your efforts.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95AmerEagle View Post
Quick question is your generator in a slide on the front of the RV? I think we must be built differently because my TCM is on the floor behind my peddles and ICU is behind my lever shifter. However I sure do appreciate your efforts.
Yes my genny is on a manual slide in front. What tranny are you running? What tranny control? I guess each mfr had install options and in '95-97 things started to change a little in the tranny. I know that on my VIM, I had to wire it a little differently for the exhaust brake to work.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes my genny is on a manual slide in front. What tranny are you running? What tranny control? I guess each mfr had install options and in '95-97 things started to change a little in the tranny. I know that on my VIM, I had to wire it a little differently for the exhaust brake to work.
I believe I have the tranny you referenced but my slide is electric and my motor is toast. One of those I will fix it later deals. But if my VIM is in there? Have get it open to have a peak. Praying for blown fuses as my ECU is not getting power.

I think I found it using my cell to take pics reaching inside the slide. My sin has great idea to go around it but wld really like to see if it is just those two fuses. I am on a time crunch to get this baby moved.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
I believe I have the tranny you referenced, will have to look when I get hm to be sure. my granny slide is electric and my motor is toast. One of those I will fix it later deals. But if my VIM is in there? Have get it open to have a peak. Praying for blown fuses as my ECU is not getting power.

I think I found it using my cell to take pics reaching inside the slide. My son has great idea to go around it but wld really like to see if it is just those two fuses. I am on a time crunch to get this baby moved.

Tags
chassis, spartan