Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
...oh and FYI, there's a full service manual on here, a sticky above, then labeled "front suspension information"
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I have 99 Eagle, I've never experienced a "bottoming out" that I know of.
....and I've got newer blisteins.

Are you certain ride height is correct?
Same here!

As to the ball joints, when I had the total alignment performed, I asked the technician to check the ball joints for wear since the boots are gone. He said the ball joints tested withing tolerance. My MH has 47,xxx on the odometer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #17

Ride Height

I have checked the ride height 3 times. I did have to adjust the left rear but the front and right rear looked good. Coach rides really smooth in regular conditions. Bad bridge transitions or whoops in the road can be a real problem.

Here are the settings for my 02 Eagle with the MM chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5A31766-36BC-401A-828C-D27CD5306197.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	280632  
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #18

What are front wheel weights, or front-end weight?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #19

For what it’s worth, I raised the front ride height on mine just one inch and it made a world of difference in it bottoming out. I didn’t have the spec to go by, but will check it out of curiosity.
Front rides about 1 inch lower than the rear now, and the lower control arms look to be perfectly horizontal to the ground.
I did the ball joint grease-fitting mod and repaired a broken sway-bar mount at the same time. And after tightening up the steering box slack Gracie is a dream to drive now.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:20 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Rob_M, How did you raise your ride height on the front suspension?
Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #21

IFS 1200S2 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Rob_M, How did you raise your ride height on the front suspension?

Mackwrench explains it earlier in the thread. Though mine had 2 hose clamps around the adjustment rod with a rubber isolator where the lever off the valve connects. I loosened the clamps and slid it up (or down?) the rod. About 1/4” at the valve equaled 1” change on mine. Mine is connected to the sway bar in the center. Mine has 2 ride height valves in the rear and 1 in the front.

EDIT: It should go without saying... Never mess with the ride height valves without supporting the rig with stands. Really you should never even climb under it without supporting it with something.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Be aware that altering ride height from spec can affect other front suspension and steering alignment settings.

The coach should be on level (as possible) ground. Measure the distance from the center of each shock absorber bolt.
The measurement is 16.125"
Loaded or empty.

There's a ride height valve on each side. You'll see a short rod type linkage that connects to upper a-arm and a lever on the leveling valve. This leaver is slotted with a bolt though the slot. You'll loosen the slotted bolt, that'll allow the lever to move up/down effectively changing the place where the air is no longer added to the air spring.

Be sure to check each side after adjusting.

The rear must be set/checked as well, as raising front may change rear....

A out of spec rear ride height can cause major issues, driveline vibration, failure of rear axle pinion seal/bearing, or transmission output seal/bearing.

It's not hard to set the correct ride height, but I'd advise not just changing it randomly or out of spec.

Good luck!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Thanks...
Old 09-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #24

reyco granning suspensions document #D9834 cab be downloaded easily, a guy really needs this service manual on hand should he desire to crack knuckles and grease palms.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote