Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #43

granning has a serious frown about heating anything but the ball joint base itself, specifically the steering knuckle, due to heat treatment of the knuckle. granning is adamant about not exceeding 300*F. on the knuckle so use your IR temp gun.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 11:44 AM   #44

dragged out my old granning manual. they are wanting to limit to 300*F the steering knuckle area around the ball joint if you're going to use flamewrench. heat treated knuckle. welding a nut to the outer end of the old ball joint is great. I'm going to weld up a spanner with an old 3/4" drive socket and some keystock, using one of the old joints as a pattern. used that idea on some old german paper making machinery before I retired. needs two different sized units. should work ok for installation but removal is a bitch.
capt fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #45

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt fast View Post
dragged out my old granning manual. they are wanting to limit to 300*F the steering knuckle area around the ball joint if you're going to use flamewrench. heat treated knuckle. welding a nut to the outer end of the old ball joint is great. I'm going to weld up a spanner with an old 3/4" drive socket and some keystock, using one of the old joints as a pattern. used that idea on some old german paper making machinery before I retired. needs two different sized units. should work ok for installation but removal is a bitch.
Sounds like a lotta work, allegedly Spartan or somebody will let you use the tool for free with a deposit.....

Post a picture of the one you build! Be cool to see it.

Welding a nut on the joint allows the use of impact wrench to run them out. ....with little human effort, lol
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Sounds like a lotta work, allegedly Spartan or somebody will let you use the tool for free with a deposit.....

Post a picture of the one you build! Be cool to see it.

Welding a nut on the joint allows the use of impact wrench to run them out. ....with little human effort, lol

Agreed. I would have built a tool or bought it if I planned to do this job more than once....I Don't, lol.

As far as heat, the amount of heat I put on the knuckle wasn't much. I used a propane torch (Not oxy/acetylene) only to heat any loctite that was installed with the joint, helps any hardened loctite to not take the threads out with it.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #47

Do you have the spartan part numbers for those front RHVs? Mine are leaking and I need to buy some more, I called spartan and the ones they were telling me needed not seem to match what I and you had.
Drewfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfab View Post
Do you have the spartan part numbers for those front RHVs? Mine are leaking and I need to buy some more, I called spartan and the ones they were telling me needed not seem to match what I and you had.
What year? Here's link to my thread, 1999 eagle

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/eagle-air-leveling-valve-545812.html
Old 08-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewfab View Post
Drew,
Here is a copy of a PM I sent another member a while back listing all the part numbers and where I bought the parts. The HCV's, if yours are the same as mine are pretty cheap IMO.

"Here are the part #'s I used along with where I bought them.
-2 each Height adjuster end link Hadley style. 701747-01 , Rvchassisparts.com (Spatan's site), $15.58 ea
-1 each Hadley Leveling Valve -Right Side, H00500X , Rvchassisparts.com , $70.41 ea
-1 each Hadley Leveling Valve -Left Side, H00500XA, Rvchassisparts.com, $64.79 ea
-2 each Firestone Front air springs, W01-358-8760, Truckspring.com , $293.47 ea
-2 each Firestone Rear air spring, W01-358-9966, Truckspring.com , $216.11 ea
-2 each Stemco front hub oil seal (inner w/repair sleeve) , 308-0836 , Anythingtruck.com , $44.55 ea
-2 each Type 20 air brake chamber, 060-800824 , Anythingtruck.com , $39.61 ea
-2 each Stemco bolt on hub cap with see through oil window, 740-3434009, Anythingtruck.com , $19.75 ea
-2 each 32" rubber air brake hose, 1/2 I.D. with 3/8" NPT swivels on both ends, DS148032, Anythingtruck.com , $13.04 ea
-2 each Bilstein shocks (12,000 tuthill suspension), 24-186476 , Amazon $126 ea
-2 Front brake drums, sourced from local truck supply, don't have part number they just matched them from old ones, said they were very common. Cheaper local as heavy to ship, I paid $130 each.
-2 each Lower Ball Joints, (joint and boot only, no nut or cotter pin), 705383-01 , Stengelbros.net , $387.85 ea
-2 each Upper Ball Joints, (joint and boot only), 705382-01 ,Stengelbros.net , $61.61 ea

The ball joints were bought from Stengel Brothers as you'll see above. They are a Rayco-Granning dealer and are the best prices I've found. The part numbers I listed for the ball joints are the joint and boot only, they were oddly about $100 Each cheaper than buying the "kit" that includes a new nut and cotter pin. Actually you can buy all 3 pieces from Stengel significantly cheaper than the kit...strange. That of course could have changed by now. You may do better with Spartan with your coupon though.
Everything I bought, I listed the place I got them from. My research from a year ago is these are the best prices and places I've found. Good Luck !"
Old 08-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #50

I was the grateful recipient of Meames1 parts list. Didn't install as many items as he but still did ball joints, height control valves and front air bags. I'm still waiting for rear bags. Ordered all parts through various suppliers May 3rd.
Lower ball joints and HCV's came immediately but waited till mid July for the lower ball joints and end of July for the front air bags. Also installed an AirDog fuel pump while it was in the shop. Showed my mechanic Meames1 tutorials and I helped with the installation of everything. Thanks again Meames1!!
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:48 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
Some random finished shots.

Attachment 278322

Attachment 278323

Attachment 278324

Attachment 278325

Attachment 278326

Attachment 278327

And for a grand total..
Ball Joints...........$900
Shocks...............$240
Air Bags..............$480
Brake Chambers..$ 90
Air Hoses.............$ 30
Drums.................$260
HCV & Links.........$170
Paint/Misc *est.....$200

Total $2,370.00 for parts to do both sides. I'll still have to get an alignment, so figure $2,600-$2,800 all in.
This doesn't include some special tools here and there, which can be substantial depending on what you already have. I don't count tools in the total as then I'd have to tell the wife about them. lol
do u know what is the bilstein model number?
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:59 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrench View Post
do u know what is the bilstein model number?
These are the front and rear shock #s

Front: 24-186476 or B6 24-241755
Rear: B6 24-186780

Let me know if you need any, one of my distributers has them in stock
Old 09-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #53

Great job, I’m starting on adding grease fittings to the ball joints tomorrow. I also can’t find fittings on these. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8245.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	344432
I’ve looked and felt but no grease fittings. A friend with a similar year Spartan chassis says that his has fittings.
Any suggestions?
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #54

My memory tells me the a-arms use rubber bushings, there's no grease fittings on my 1999 vintage... hopefully you can blow up the picture below item 8 shows "bushing"

Attachment 344436
Old 09-28-2021, 05:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
My memory tells me the a-arms use rubber bushings, there's no grease fittings on my 1999 vintage... hopefully you can blow up the picture below item 8 shows "bushing"

Attachment 344436
The attachment has a problem. I could not view it. I guessed it might be rubber or bronze, but hard to ascertain. I wonder if my friend might be mistaken about his grease fittings. Thanks.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
I installed the HCV endlink and adjusted the ride height. I'm not 100% sure this procedure will work, I'll double check the ride height once both sides are done and back together.

First I installed an allen wrench in the alignment hole in the HCV. This "should" be the neutral position on the HCV...will not add or take away air.
Attachment 277927

Then measured the distance between shock mounting points and jacked the lower control arm up to make the distance 16 1/8" that Spartan specs.
Attachment 277928

Then adjusted the HCV lever until the end link fit. Tightened up both ends of the link, then the HCV arm. Pulled the neutral alignment pin and all set !
Attachment 277929

Attachment 277930

Attachment 277931
I just replaced my front HCV's and your ride height dimension was super helpful. Did you ever get a rear RH measurement from Spartan?

I bought these front HCV's from Spartan, they listed two different part #'s for the front HCV with different prices, the ones I received appear to be identical between the left and right so if any one is buying some, just buy two of the cheaper ones.

Tags
ball joints, spartan ifs