Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
J brake and brake lights

My coach activates the brake lights once the Jake brake is activated. I would like to dis-able this feature if possible. Anyone out there know if there is a fuse for this.

Many Thanks
Dave
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I do not have a Nesmar but I think it is all the same. If you have the Allision tranny you will have different codes for you cruise control. One of these codes will disable you brake lights and set your CC to act different in each mode. Hope this helps.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My coach has an engine brake and not technically a Jake brake I guess but if I simply "activate" the engine brake... in other words I turn it on but still have my foot on the accellerator... my coach isn't braking and my brake lights don't go on. But as soon as I take my foot from the accellerator, I WANT my brake lights to go on.

When you begin braking your coach... either via the service brakes or the engine/exhaust brake, I think anyone behind you should be alrerted to that. It should also engage the toad brakes.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have been in touch with US gear who made my tow vehicle brake system and they tell me there is a module that can stop the tow vehicle brakes from activating when the J brake is applied. I will get this installed instead. It was not installed on my original coach as it was a gasser and now I switched over to a DP. I do agree the brake lights should activate for safety, but not my tow vechile brakes. I have a friend of a friend who had a brand new tow vehicle who burned out the brakes.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
My view is a bit different. There are different ways to slow a vehicle:
1. down shifting the tranny
2. taking your foot off the accelerator
3. disengage the cruise control
are methods that do not turn on the brake lights. For me the Jake Brake is the same. It is a method to slow a vehicle. My Jake Brake does not turn on my brake lights. That is the way I want it. Drivers expect the brake lights to come on when the service brakes are engaged.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting how views vary. So Gary, I assume you only want your toad brakes to engage with the coach service brakes? If that's the case do you mind if I ask why? And Dave, your feeling is that keeping the toad brakes from engaging with the engine brake helps avoid a malfunction which would damage the toad brakes?

I know that if I hit the second stage of my 2 stage engine brake it's like throwing a big anchor out and I'm slowing down quickly so I really want anyone behind me to know that. I also don't want the toad pushing hard against the coach so I want those brakes to engage.

Good discussion. Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Question

Well I guess I am the dumbing here. I never realized that the brake lights on the motor home would engage the brakes on the toad.
I always thought the brakes on the toad were activated by a pendulum, surge, mechanical or air. Am I missing something here or what.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Well I guess I am the dumbing here. I never realized that the brake lights on the motor home would engage the brakes on the toad.
I always thought the brakes on the toad were activated by a pendulum, surge, mechanical or air. Am I missing something here or what.
I think we keep bouncing back and forth between brakes and brake lights so it is confusing. Like you, I think my Brake Buddy activates the toad brakes via the pendulum... whether because the coach service brakes were applied... or the engine brake was engaged. I also think that my coach and toad brake lights come on with either the coach service brakes or the engine brake.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Funny this topic came up. I'm heading to Spartan in a few days for an alignment and cooling fan upgrade. I asked that they disable the brake lights from coming on when the engine brake is engaged. They believe they can do it via the ECM (computer), but if not, I'll have latch mode enabled -- so the engine brake only comes on when the brake pedal is tapped, not just letting off the accelerator. I know that's possible as I had Cummins enable that on my last coach.

I'm with you... I hate those brake lights coming on. I travel in LOW mode sans mountain terrain, short exit, etc. In such cases, LOW engine brake mode does not induce a panic stop and there is NO reason the brake lights should come on when you let off the accelerator, causing the people behind you to think you're braking.

Most semis don't have this "feature" - I think it should be optional on coaches as well.

In any event, I'll let you know the outcome on Wednesday!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, you may have just hit on the big reason there's such a difference in preferences regarding this topic. I don't drive with the engine brake turned on... I like being able to coast. So, when I engage my engine brake I'm intending to scrub off speed and want everyone behind me to know it.

Plus, I hate tailgaters and if my brake lights coming on causes them to back off... it's a good thing.

Let us know how your visit to Spartan goes.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-10-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree that brake light activation is a Cummins ECM changeable feature.

Some supplemental brake systems are activated by the brake lights and some by inertia.

All engine brakes are Jake brakes or licensed by Jacobs, like the Cummins E brake.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rick,
My toad brakes engage when the service breaks are engaged. The degree of braking depends on the deceleration picked up by the USGEAR sensing unit. I travel with my Jake brake off. When circumstances require it, I turn it on. For me, the engine brake is used to slow the coach on long descents. If the coach needs to be slowed more than the engine brake is capable of, then the service brakes are engage and along with them the toad brakes. Because I stab my service brakes on a long decent, I want the toad brakes helping. Other than that, based on how I use the engine brake the toad brakes are not needed to keep the coach at the proper decent speed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Gary. Sounds like a nice set up. I don't think my old fashioned Brake Buddy Classic knows WHY the coach is slowing down... it just engages when it senses that it's slowing.

Thanks for the explanation.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've been down the steep side of Black Mountain in NC and everthing between here and CA. Every time I use the 'low' jake brake it is like applying the brakes. Even with a toad or a trailer it's a rare thing that the coach brakes are even needed until it's at a point of stopping th coach.

I believe you guys might be better off looking into how to prevent your toad brake lights from coming on and leave the MH lights as they are. It is a courtesy to those following you if you have as much deceleration as I experience when using the jake brake.

Additionally, if a system is designed to use the toad brakes and for weight and stopping distances you need the assistance of the toad brakes, leave them alone. Again, it's a safety issue. Breaks are cheap. Safety is not.

Dave