Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #1

K2 Chassis Batteries Removal?

The chassis batteries on our 2018 Dutch Star with a K2 chassis show signs of leaking water and minor cable corrosion. I want to check the water level, but need to remove the batteries due to space limitations.
I hear that there is a particular method for turning off power and pulling fuses before disconnecting batteries on a Spartan chassis.
Is this true, and if so, what is the procedure?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to snewsom
Pull F10 Fuse / Turn off both Battery Disconnects before removing batteries. This is what Spartan told me. I also have a 2018 DS K2 chassis. I changed out my chassis batteries a few weeks ago because of leaking acid in the battery tray.
snewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #3

Thanks, snewsom! That's exactly what I had heard, but wanted to verify.
How did you deal with the small space above the batteries and removing the battery cables? Both negative cables first, I assume, then both positive cables? Did you just wedge them up out of the way? Was the back bolt of the battery hold down difficult to remove/reinstall?
Thanks for the info. It's always great to talk to someone who has "been there".
Old 11-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to snewsom
Once the cables are removed just let the cables hang down to the right side of the batteries. I cleaned and repainted the battery tray before installing new batteries.
snewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found out the hard way there is a procedure to disconnect the batteries. My SCM was damaged and had to be replaced. I posted the procedure and also the SCM hard reset procedure ( Spartan Chassis Info ) it's on the next page. 007 made it a sticky under " Spartan or any DP maintenance & new Spartan Spreadsheets " Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #6

10 Fan: I want to remove the batteries, check water and clean. Am I reading your post properly....perform steps 1, 2, and 3 and remove the positive cable? Then reverse the order to reinstall?
Is the hard restart on the SCM necessary all the time?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
10 Fan: I want to remove the batteries, check water and clean. Am I reading your post properly....perform steps 1, 2, and 3 and remove the positive cable? Then reverse the order to reinstall?
Yes that is correct. The hard reset is only needed if there is a problem with the SCM. Sometimes a hard reset will correct a problem, sometimes not but worth a try.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #8

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2021, 08:58 PM   #9

Finally got around to the battery change-out. Thanks to all for the info, it was a piece of cake! Y’all are awesome!
Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Where is the F10 fuse located and what does SCM stand for?
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #11

F10 and two disconnects are in the chassis battery compartment on my ‘18 DS K2. Fuse is in the round black plastic “can” on the lower right. Disconnects are to the left.
SCM is a major control module. Not sure of the mnemonics definition or specific purpose.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
SCM = Spartan Control Module

Usually located up front near generator.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
F10 and two disconnects are in the chassis battery compartment on my ‘18 DS K2. Fuse is in the round black plastic “can” on the lower right. Disconnects are to the left.
SCM is a major control module. Not sure of the mnemonics definition or specific purpose.

Thanks,

Not sure if it is coincidence but I changed the batteries out on our K3 LA and did not pull the F10 fuse. I took pictures and everything connected back as it was. Have a fault #2084 on Silver-leaf about DC power. Contacted Silver-leaf and told it was my Bird System. Wowza I had just changed it to a Ametek from the White-Rodgers, then my entire HWH system quit working and to top it off all of a sudden my summer loop pump went out. Either I have bad luck or not pulling F10 fuse caused all these power surges.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:53 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I’m thinking you’re having bad luck. The charge bridge voltage spike goes back to the TM102. When this happens, the chassis and house 12V systems are no longer bridged and I don’t believe there is a way for that spike to affect the chassis systems.

Tags
batteries, chassis, removal