Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #1

I joined your forum in Oct. and have been reading the sorry tales of customer problems with Spartan and Newmar. Regardless of the cost of the coach some are going to be worse than problematic. It is truly sad that the manufacturers are trying to convince us that we should expect these problems. Some would call this lurking - I feel that I have been trying to understand our predicament. I have a 2005 Newmar KS #3910 Spartan with 22,000 miles on it. The U-joint and driveshaft have been replaced 3 times now. Yes its been greased. The last replacement was by Spartan in Charlotte, MI. Spartan thinks that they installed the assembly backwards originally thereby causing the subsequent failures. Have had air bags replaced and Spartan wiring problems causing low air alarms to ring. Also had the plastic dip stick tube melt - too close to the manifold, installed by Spartan. Newmars' position has always been that it is not their problem - It would be covered under Spartans warranty. How is it that Spartan is so highly thought of? The Essex owners have had continuing, unresolved problems also. Would you buy another Newmar Spartan unit? I doubt that I would. I can accept and would expect some problems, not these numerous unresolved problems. Thanks John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #2

I joined your forum in Oct. and have been reading the sorry tales of customer problems with Spartan and Newmar. Regardless of the cost of the coach some are going to be worse than problematic. It is truly sad that the manufacturers are trying to convince us that we should expect these problems. Some would call this lurking - I feel that I have been trying to understand our predicament. I have a 2005 Newmar KS #3910 Spartan with 22,000 miles on it. The U-joint and driveshaft have been replaced 3 times now. Yes its been greased. The last replacement was by Spartan in Charlotte, MI. Spartan thinks that they installed the assembly backwards originally thereby causing the subsequent failures. Have had air bags replaced and Spartan wiring problems causing low air alarms to ring. Also had the plastic dip stick tube melt - too close to the manifold, installed by Spartan. Newmars' position has always been that it is not their problem - It would be covered under Spartans warranty. How is it that Spartan is so highly thought of? The Essex owners have had continuing, unresolved problems also. Would you buy another Newmar Spartan unit? I doubt that I would. I can accept and would expect some problems, not these numerous unresolved problems. Thanks John
Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Oh Man, are you gonna get it now.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'll join John on his band wagon. My coach is the same as his. While I have never been stranded, the only two appliances that have not broken are the microwave and the TV. All other appliances have broken once and several have broken twice. Per previous posts, I have spent about $7500 of my own money to get the chassis driveable. Both door and main awnings have been replaced. Replacement of all slide toppers are next on the list.

What may be different about my series of problems and those of the Essex threads is mine are simple basic parts that have been placed in these appliances for many years. And yet there seems to be a trend of sloppy manufacturing by both the vendors and Newmar itself. I estimate almost all my warranty repairs could have been avoided if the vendors and Newmar used industry standard quality control practices. I can not verify this with the vendors, but when taking the Newmar tour and speaking with a Newmar executive I was able to confirm Newmar has home grown (or groan depending on if your the customer) quality control procedures. In my years in manufacturing, I have never seen a home grown program produce lasting qaulity improvement.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote