RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Loss of power then engine dies

In the last 8 weeks weíve put about 6,000 miles on our 1995 Newmar Dutch Star. 6CTA8.3 Cummins with an Allison 3060 transmission. Itís now been setting in our driveway for almost two weeks. I took it out today or a short drive but didnít make it four blocks and the engine stopped responding to my accelerator pedal. And when I let off the pedal, the engine died. However, it easily restarted and I drove towards home. But again it lost power, then died. And again it restarted easily. Iím only getting into 2nd gear and not traveling over 20 mph. Narrow streets. I recently replaced the oil sending unit which connects to the dash gauge and the low oil pressure light. I also replaced the solenoid for the fuel valve. Both failed during our last trip. In addition, I installed a set of gauges at the engine. With the engine warm and idling, the mechanical oil pressure gauge reads 20 psi while the dash gauge reads less than 10 psi and the low oil pressure light illuminates. I donít trust my new oil sending unit from Amazon. I believe itís not accurate. Thinking the oil pressure switch may be shutting down the engine, I disconnected it and went for a drive. But again I lost power and had to restart the engine. Once I got home, I had no issues while backing the RV into the driveway and this takes some time. I also ran the engine at 1500 RPM while in the driveway for at least a minute without any issues. Before our trips I replaced the fuel filter and the air filter. The air filter gauge at the engine barely shows any restriction. The transmission has no error codes. All temperatures look normal. Any thoughts from the experts?
chlenz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

Still can be blocked fuel filters.

6000 miles on the filters of an old diesel fuel tank is a lot of fuel flow.

I would change them again and we what happens.

As far as the oil pressure, did you get any warning lights ? Most all systems will warn you before shutting down.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Yes. The low oil pressure light illuminated but engine did not shut down with the light illuminated.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

Sure sounds like fuel. Put a known mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and compare with you sending unit. I have a Cat but would want to be able to trust my oil pressure guage
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Still can be blocked fuel filters.

6000 miles on the filters of an old diesel fuel tank is a lot of fuel flow.

I would change them again and we what happens.

As far as the oil pressure, did you get any warning lights ? Most all systems will warn you before shutting down.
The older diesels did not have a WIF light, only a manual drain on the filter.
Your reply made my brain engage.
To 62, drain your water filter bowl into a clear container. Let sit for a few minutes to view how much water was in the filter bowl.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #6

chlenz62,
Have you checked the Coolant? A low coolant level will cause the engine to lose power. (Don't ask how I know. LOL)

Drew
2003 Travel Supreme 40DS02
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #7

You mentioned replacing the fuel filter (singular= one filter).

Most DP's have TWO filters-- a primary fuel filter/water separator and a secondary fuel filter.

You need to verify that you have replaced ALL fuel filters.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
I ordered a new fuel filter and I will definitely be purchasing a new oil sending unit. I may purchase a second mechanical oil pressure gauge to validate my new mechanical gauge is accurate. Or I’ll test my mechanical gauge with compressed air. As I said, I disconnected the low oil pressure switch wire from the sending unit and the engine still shut down. I wanted to rule out the possibility of the switch as the cause of the shutdowns. Interesting comment on the coolant low level switch. I’ve been troubleshooting this circuit. I’m not seeing 12 volts at the sensor so it is not working. But as far as I can tell, the circuit has failed in a way that will always indicate sufficient coolant. I am fixing this circuit but logically it shouldn’t be the cause of the shutdown. Great comment! My engine has been described to me as “mechanical”. It has no computer. In fact the fuel lift pump is mechanical and mounted on the side of the engine near the fuel filter. I replaced this pump on our second trip. I purchased it from a diesel supply house. So if the solenoid doesn’t close the fuel valve on the fuel injector, the engine won’t shutdown when the key switch is turned off. The solenoid failed on our last trip and I had to reach into the engine and manually close the fuel valve by hand to shut the engine down. It seems to be a fairly simple engine. I have only one fuel filter. Good question but I went on this Easter egg hunt a few months ago and I’ve since spent some time in and around the engine. I’ve only found one fuel filter. It’s under the throttle linkage plate on the engine.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
And I do not have a WIF light. I’ve replaced all my incandescent dash bulbs with LED’s. There was no bulb for this.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
I just resolved the coolant level switch failure and it appears the coolant switch is closed with coolant in the reservoir and the switch opens when the coolant level is low. This is opposite of what I assumed. However, this power loss issue is very recent and the coolant level failure is not. I know this because I unplugged the coolant level switch connector months ago due to spurious audible alarms. (A long story for another day. I’m not someone who ignores alarms. But not relevant for this thread. )
Old 09-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
I tested the accuracy of my new mechanical oil pressure gauge I installed at the engine and it agrees with the air pressure gauge on my air compressor +/- 2psi for the full range of 0 - 100 psi. My new oil pressure sending unit is very inaccurate and needs to be replaced.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
I bench tested my new sending unit and it is only sending 2/3 the resistance it should be. At 80 psi the new sending unit is at 120 ohms when it should be at 180 ohms. So I’m returning it to Amazon.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Replaced fuel filter and engine still loses power. It starts perfectly and I can drive around the neighborhood in first and second gear. Everything feels normal. Then while accelerating normally, the engine will stop accelerating. If I hold the pedal steady, the engine runs at about 1500 rpm and gradually slows until it stalls. If I press on the accelerator, the engine slows quickly and stalls. If I let off the accelerator the engine stalls. In every instance the engine restarts without hesitation and accelerates and drives normally. Any thoughts from the more experienced?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #14

Check throttle position sensor. The test procedure is on the web. Just an EWAG here.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, loss of power, power