Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
MLP

Lost Engine Brake

My Coach: 2006 Travel Supreme 52K miles ISL 400 Cummins Spartan Chassis

While recently flat towing - my coach chassis/tow car light converter melted
and burned my 15amp fuse for signal lights
At the same time - I lost my engine brake (selector switch - high/low options)

I've replaced the converter - all tail lights now function properly

I cannot find a fuse for the engine brake - might this be part of the ECM?
Is there a component that I can change out?
Am I destined for a Spartan chassis dealer?
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #2

The Cummins ECM should have 5 fuses for functions it controls ( in some fuse boxes they are marked ECU ).
In the Spartan wiring info I have ( for 2000/2002 )the fuses are in PDC ( Power Distribution Centers ) near the engine .

Pictures below are from a 2002 Newmar on Spartan chassis and the PDCs are in a compartment behind the passenger side dual wheels . Two white marks on cover in first photo .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506 (640x384).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	335555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507 (640x384).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	335556  

Old 07-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #3

The PDC's are coach builder installed it appears. Mine is right beside the ECM on the forward wall of the engine doghouse compartment under the engine cover. and looks exactly the same.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
MLP

Thanks for the response/picture
The unit (in your picture) is in my motor compartment - having opened it - the box was clean and dry - nothing pointed towards identifying the transmission/brake circuit - no blown fuses - the bus is now at a repair shop - I'm hoping my next stop is not an Allison transmission shop. That visit will have lots of $$$ attached to it if the valving in the trans have issues
Old 07-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I would lubricate all the moving parts of the actuator and make sure nothing is binding before I spent a lot of money in a shop. There is high temp oil that is recommended for this job. https://www.hmalabsupply.com/product...oil-4oz-bottle
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I would lubricate all the moving parts of the actuator and make sure nothing is binding before I spent a lot of money in a shop. There is high temp oil that is recommended for this job. https://www.hmalabsupply.com/product...oil-4oz-bottle
or simply grab it with a pair of channel locks and make sure it moves.
That reminds me, I need to squirt mine soon..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #7

We have posts here on BOTH and exhaust brake and an engine compression brake. Yes, the ISL could be ordered with either (the exhaust brake less $$/ the engine compression brake more effective).

Since the OP mentioned "two stage", he has the engine compression brake which is internal to his engine. So, nothing external to lube.

Extremely likely this is an electric issue. May be as simple as throttle position sensor is mis-adjusted.

SO, to diagnose:

Does the Allison shift pad go from "6" to the "preselect gear-- generally 2nd or 4th. That is the first step and would verify that the throttle position sensor is properly adjusted and signal is getting to the Allison ECU.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
MLP

Again - THX for the responses - I'm getting an education
I'm not sure I follow the suggested gear "stepping down" process at the shift pad and its ability to read the throttle position
The coach is now at the shop - no opportunity to follow-up with the suggestions
I was referred to an Orlando shop that only does chassis electrical - he explained his diagnostic equipment/procedures - looking for all the proper signals - he has seen this b4
I'm waiting my turn in the bay
Old 07-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Disregard my suggestion. It references the single stage exhaust brake actuator, which as Wolf says, you probably don't have.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine