Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

More Spartan and HR Questions

I’m still getting acquainted with this 1996 Holiday Rambler Imperial on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis. Trying to learn the air and electrical systems and perhaps solve a few problems along the way. So I’d like some more of the very helpful advice that I received last time I shared my lack of knowledge.
The Spartan chassis wiring diagram shows a Rear Electrical Panel and a Front Electrical Panel. I’ve located the rear panel but, after looking everywhere I can think of without crawling under the coach, I can’t find the front panel. It would include a master relay and both live and switched circuit breakers. Can anybody give me a clue as to location?
The Spartan chassis diagram shows a Start Relay that activates the starter solenoid. I think I may have located it but cannot get to it to verify until I build ramps so I can get under the coach. Is that what I’m seeing on the inside of the passenger side frame rail, just ahead of the forward motor mount?
Does anybody know where I can obtain wiring diagram(s) for the coach (1996 HR Imperial)?
Does this motor home use a diode type of battery isolator between the alternator and the coach/chassis batteries, or does it use a solenoid relay arrangement? Where might the components be located?
Thanks again for past help. I’m looking forward to learning again from any information you might be able to provide.
Don
PS: Have a Merry Christmas
DonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can call Spartan with your questions. Have your vin available and they will answer all your questions over the phone. They are wonderful!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #3

I agree, krivanj, the folks at Spartan are very helpful, not to mention prompt and thorough in responding to requests for information. But with the exception of the starter relay issue, my current questions are not Spartan issues, but regard equipment placed or provided by Holiday Rambler.

I haven't contacted HR yet, but the disclaimer on their web site leads me to believe that our best sources of information for older coaches are other HR owners. I will try HR for wiring diagrams and other info, but would appreciate any information that others might provide.

On another issue, I see that several owners of older HRs have had alternator issues, or rather battery dash light on even with a new or rebuilt alternator installed. I have the same issue and think I may have found the cause. I hope to confirm after the holidays and will post the information if I am correct.

Merry Christmas.
Don
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
I’m still getting acquainted with this 1996 Holiday Rambler Imperial on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis. Trying to learn the air and electrical systems and perhaps solve a few problems along the way. So I’d like some more of the very helpful advice that I received last time I shared my lack of knowledge.
The Spartan chassis wiring diagram shows a Rear Electrical Panel and a Front Electrical Panel. I’ve located the rear panel but, after looking everywhere I can think of without crawling under the coach, I can’t find the front panel. It would include a master relay and both live and switched circuit breakers. Can anybody give me a clue as to location?
The Spartan chassis diagram shows a Start Relay that activates the starter solenoid. I think I may have located it but cannot get to it to verify until I build ramps so I can get under the coach. Is that what I’m seeing on the inside of the passenger side frame rail, just ahead of the forward motor mount?
Does anybody know where I can obtain wiring diagram(s) for the coach (1996 HR Imperial)?
Does this motor home use a diode type of battery isolator between the alternator and the coach/chassis batteries, or does it use a solenoid relay arrangement? Where might the components be located?
Thanks again for past help. I’m looking forward to learning again from any information you might be able to provide.
Don
PS: Have a Merry Christmas
Don, I have a friend who I've been helping with a 97 HR Imperial 40WDS. It was a repo so we didn't get any manuals with it at all. I've found a lot of great help here on this forum. Still no one with a Holiday Rambler manual for this particular model, but a lot of help none the less.

The one thing I have found is that with Holiday Rambler having changed ownership 4 times that I know of, and Monaco filing bankruptcy in 2009 after the economy crashed in 2008, pretty much all things specifically Holiday Rambler (for older models anyway) was lost in all the transitions.

I've had the best luck tracking down manuals for each items on the RV online. I'd still love to get my hands on an actual Holiday Rambler owners manual (to copy), but I'm beginning to lose hope that will ever happen.

Spartan has been the most help of the vendors I've spoken to so far. Hopefully they can help.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #5

Hi Scott

Thanks for the response. We bought our 1995 Imperial from it's original owners and they provided us with all of the literature and service/repair history that they had. I truly thank Stan and Virginia for that. What they gave us included the Holiday Rambler owners manual. It is a three ring binder with tabs as follows: Warranty, Towing and Safety Tips, Appliances and Equipment, Water Systems, LP Gas Systems, Electical System, Unit Care and Maintenance, Diagrams and Specifications, and Chassis Information.

Sadly, the information is painstakingly non-technical. That said, I will scan all or selected parts of its contents to you or anyone else who might benefit. Let me know what you'd like and where to send it.

Again, thanks for your response.

Don

PS: I'm still waiting for decent weather so I can get under the coach and find that starter relay.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Scott

Thanks for the response. We bought our 1995 Imperial from it's original owners and they provided us with all of the literature and service/repair history that they had. I truly thank Stan and Virginia for that. What they gave us included the Holiday Rambler owners manual. It is a three ring binder with tabs as follows: Warranty, Towing and Safety Tips, Appliances and Equipment, Water Systems, LP Gas Systems, Electical System, Unit Care and Maintenance, Diagrams and Specifications, and Chassis Information.

Sadly, the information is painstakingly non-technical. That said, I will scan all or selected parts of its contents to you or anyone else who might benefit. Let me know what you'd like and where to send it.

Again, thanks for your response.

Don

PS: I'm still waiting for decent weather so I can get under the coach and find that starter relay.
My pleasure Don. I'm new to this too, so it's nice to meet new people and help if I can.

Honestly, I'd love to have ALL of the owner's manual information you have, but I know that's far too much trouble. I'd gladly pay whatever you require for whatever you are willing to share. If you have a Pay Pal account, message me the address and I'll send you whatever funds you require. Right now I'd just be thrilled to have ANYTHING that is Holiday Rambler specific, whether technical or non-technical.

I have several manuals and wiring schematics provided by Steve Lemnah (slemnah here on iRV2) that have been very helpful and I'd be glad to send you that information if you like. All I need is an email address to send it to and I'd be happy to share. The main thing I'm missing is the Holiday Rambler specific information that only an owner's manual would have.

I'll message you my contact information.

Thanks!
Scott Russell
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #7

When you crawl under the coach, check the ball joint boots. They'll probably be dry rotted, and they can't be replaced. Which wiil mean it'll need ball joints....$2000 fix. My 2000 Dutch Star had to have them replaced without any help from Spartan since they knew they had inferior rubber boots. Of course it was way out of warranty, but my arguement with Spartan was they knew about it from the beginning and never notified owners of the problem. Hoping it wouldn't be noticed until after the warranty period. After all how many times do you crawl under a coach to inspect the ball joints?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
When you crawl under the coach, check the ball joint boots. They'll probably be dry rotted, and they can't be replaced. Which wiil mean it'll need ball joints....$2000 fix. My 2000 Dutch Star had to have them replaced without any help from Spartan since they knew they had inferior rubber boots. Of course it was way out of warranty, but my arguement with Spartan was they knew about it from the beginning and never notified owners of the problem. Hoping it wouldn't be noticed until after the warranty period. After all how many times do you crawl under a coach to inspect the ball joints?
I'm new to RV's but it surprises me there aren't aftermarket boots available. In the automotive realm, companies like Dorman offer many shapes and sizes of replacement ball joint and tie rod boots for people in the situation you describe. It's disappointing to hear the RV (and heavy truck?) world doesn't offer generic aftermarket items like this.

Our Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 WDS is on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis with an I-Beam front end, so it has king pins instead of ball joints. I shudder to think what those would cost to replace From everything I can tell, it looks like grease is an RVer's best friend
Old 12-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
96 HR Imperial

On the 96 Imperial we had the solenoids in question hidden under a sheet metal panel in the back of the coach. Open the hatch on the back of the coach like you were going to check the oil. Look down just inside the rear bumper area and ours had a flat panel with a battery disconnect on the right side. Either unbolt the cover or look up under the back bumper area and you should be able to see them. Just remember one side of the battery switch there (for engine) will still be hot even after you turn it off. And there is one in the same compartment as the batteries (for the coach) Good Luck, Lars
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRussell View Post
My pleasure Don. I'm new to this too, so it's nice to meet new people and help if I can.

Honestly, I'd love to have ALL of the owner's manual information you have, but I know that's far too much trouble. I'd gladly pay whatever you require for whatever you are willing to share. If you have a Pay Pal account, message me the address and I'll send you whatever funds you require. Right now I'd just be thrilled to have ANYTHING that is Holiday Rambler specific, whether technical or non-technical.

I have several manuals and wiring schematics provided by Steve Lemnah (slemnah here on iRV2) that have been very helpful and I'd be glad to send you that information if you like. All I need is an email address to send it to and I'd be happy to share. The main thing I'm missing is the Holiday Rambler specific information that only an owner's manual would have.

I'll message you my contact information.

Thanks!
Scott Russell
Yes I would like to have copies of any coach wiring information that you'd care to share. I'll e mail you with my address. I'll also get started scanning the HR manual. It may take me a while. Depending on file size I'll either e-mail it or snail mail it to you. If anybody else on this forum would like copies please let me know.

Don
Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timex View Post
On the 96 Imperial we had the solenoids in question hidden under a sheet metal panel in the back of the coach. Open the hatch on the back of the coach like you were going to check the oil. Look down just inside the rear bumper area and ours had a flat panel with a battery disconnect on the right side. Either unbolt the cover or look up under the back bumper area and you should be able to see them. Just remember one side of the battery switch there (for engine) will still be hot even after you turn it off. And there is one in the same compartment as the batteries (for the coach) Good Luck, Lars

Hi Timex.

Thanks for the resonse. I did find that panel. It's the one the Spartan wiring diagram refers to as the "Rear Panel". I still haven't found the "Front Panel". Though it is provided by Spartan, I'm beginning to think it is relocated by the coach builder. My next shot in the dark will be to remove the panel below the driver's window to see if it is there.

Information sharing can be valuable to all of us. Thanks for taking time to contribute.

Don
Old 01-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi Timex.

Thanks for the resonse. I did find that panel. It's the one the Spartan wiring diagram refers to as the "Rear Panel". I still haven't found the "Front Panel". Though it is provided by Spartan, I'm beginning to think it is relocated by the coach builder. My next shot in the dark will be to remove the panel below the driver's window to see if it is there.

Information sharing can be valuable to all of us. Thanks for taking time to contribute.

Don
Don, is it possible what they are calling the front panel is the fuse box you see just to the left of the drawer you pull out to the right of the accelerator pedal (under the cup holders)? I didn't see it initially myself, but when you pull out that drawer, there is a fuse box behind the right side of the face of it that you can see once the drawer is pulled out. Your 96 model my be different, but based on your owners manual, the 96 and 97 seem extremely similar. Just a thought.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRussell View Post
Don, is it possible what they are calling the front panel is the fuse box you see just to the left of the drawer you pull out to the right of the accelerator pedal (under the cup holders)? I didn't see it initially myself, but when you pull out that drawer, there is a fuse box behind the right side of the face of it that you can see once the drawer is pulled out. Your 96 model my be different, but based on your owners manual, the 96 and 97 seem extremely similar. Just a thought.
No. I've looked at that panel and it is basically a fuse block, part of the Holiday Rambler design. The Spartan "front panel" consists of a double row of breakers (hot and switched), a master relay (solenoid) and two flashers. I've located the two flashers alone (under the dash to the left of the steering column). That's what makes me think that the coach builder moved and modified the Spartan front panel.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm and trying to get ahead on some other projects before I go to the storage yard and do some more searching. I'll open that panel under the drivers window. And I plan to run the motorhome up on a pile of 2x6's so I can do some underside inspection. I'm chasing some alternator wiring to hopefully solve a long standing problem and also need to inspect brake linings (160,000 miles). I have an ABS lite too that I'm hoping will go away with some speed sensor connector cleaning.

I think life would be very boring without a challenge or two every now and then. Take care.

Don
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
After all how many times do you crawl under a coach to inspect the ball joints?
For me it's every few months at least. Seems the problem is on the 12,000# IFS used on the 2002 DSDP's too, except our front axle was replaced with a 14,600# unit in 2004 and so far the covers are doing fine. I check them when I lube the brake actuators and driveline.
I had the rig to Brazils for a front end align and the tech said whoever did my lube jobs was doing a good job and to keep going there. He was a little surprised when I told him I did my own.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan