Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #1

I put our new Koni's on this past Friday. It only took about 20 minutes or so per axle. When we took it out for a short spin, the improvement was noticable.

The side to side sway was drastically reduced and the rebound over bumps, cracks and expansion joints was also much better. I still think I need to add the Motion Control units to help with crossed-up transitions such as driveways and I think a steering stabilizer is also in our future to help deal with cross winds but The FSD's definately helped.

The coach is more comfortable and less jarring so these were a great improvement overall.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 AM   #2

I put our new Koni's on this past Friday. It only took about 20 minutes or so per axle. When we took it out for a short spin, the improvement was noticable.

The side to side sway was drastically reduced and the rebound over bumps, cracks and expansion joints was also much better. I still think I need to add the Motion Control units to help with crossed-up transitions such as driveways and I think a steering stabilizer is also in our future to help deal with cross winds but The FSD's definately helped.

The coach is more comfortable and less jarring so these were a great improvement overall.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #3

How are thse new Koni'w working compared to the bilstine? I am getting a new set of bilstiens, six toyos and a alinment next week
Old 03-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #4

My wife and I feel that they are far superior to the Bilsteins. I know that Bilsteins are good shocks and they will carry a lifetime warranty if you buy them as opposed to the factory installed Bilsteins that come with the chassis.

My BIL swears by the Bilsteins but I have found that the Koni FSD's (frequesncy selective damper) do exactly what they say. They control a variety of motions and impacts through progressive valving rather than just by nitrogen charging. The ride on our DP is much better now.

Personally, they are worth the slight additional cost(I think they are around $25-$30 more per shock than the Bilsteins) and if you are replacing your worn out shocks, they would be a great choice. I have yet to see a bad review of their performance.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #5

Hello
Do you have any part numbers for the koni shocks? Also where would a good place to buy the front and back shocks? Thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #6

I'll get them tonight and then post them tomorrow for you. Try here:

www.shox.com

It is a simple DIY job. Just spray a heavy coat of penetrating/rust disolving lubricant on the top and bottom bolts, nuts and/or studs the day before. It will help them loosen up. You can do this with a socket and wrench but a 1/2" air/electric impact wrench makes the job a lot easier.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #7

American Eagle:

Whoops! I dropped the ball here.

I'll make another note and get these tonight for a post tomorrow.

Sorry about that.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 AM   #8

The nuts and bolts on my Freightliner XC chassis were over 1" something like 1 1/8" I think it was and I ended up having to get an adapter for my 1/2 air impact drive. I could not find any 1/2 sockets of the size I needed as they generally stopped at 1 or 1 1/16". So I ended up having to buy a 3/4 socket and an adapter to allow it to fit my impact.

I have a large powerful craftsman impact so it had no trouble removing the shock bolts on my chassis but reaching the rears was a major pain. I am still scratched up from it. If I had the wheels off it would have been easy.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #9

Sorry about the delays American Eagle. I caught some kind of stomach bug.

The numbers are:

8805-1012
8805-1022

I think the 1012's are for the front but I would check with Shox.com or Koni to be sure. Another way is to call the chassis mfr. to verify stock shock mfr. and numbers and then have your Koni supplier cross reference.

Good luck.